X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raves - no more

All,

Recently, a thread about Homeward Trust seriously derailed. A second thread, entitled Raves - no more, devolved as quickly.

I am sad to see this. As respectful people trying to host respectful dialogue, I would expect that we can try to put our tact in front of our desire to be right.

A couple of points came clear.

1. Do not make accusations against any poster. The Homeward Trust conversation cited the release of personal information. C2E takes personal information very seriously. Do not make accusations of this nature; rather, report the post.
    2. Please stop with the posting of gifs, memes, and other images. They are not cute. It is passive aggressive bullying. Say your point.

I will talk more, and I may even heed the suggestion that a rave section receives only positive comments, but I can also see some smart alec devolving the thread by saying, " this positively sucks".

Really, in the end, can we just tone the rhetoric down a notch or two?
    Ow

Originally posted by Admin View Post
    It is passive aggressive bullying.

Uh-oh !

Oxymoronski alert.

Comment

Please stop with the posting of gifs, memes, and other images. They are not cute. It is passive aggressive bullying. Say your point.
      Thank you. It was cute the first five hundred times, but it's really getting annoying at this point
      Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

^agreed. The vast majority add nothing to the conversation.

Comment

HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA

I weep with tears of joy.

Comment

[*]Please stop with the posting of gifs, memes, and other images. They are not cute. It is passive aggressive bullying. Say your point.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
              [*]Please stop with the posting of gifs, memes, and other images. They are not cute. It is passive aggressive bullying. Say your point.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Though I have to ask...what's the difference between posting a reaction gif (as per my prior post) and simply posting an emoticon as per the post I quoted?
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I like a funny or clever meme.

Problem is, 95% are not.

See examples above.
                  Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Your views are arbitrary. Just as anyone else..

I post pics because usually the conversation has become absurd. Plus I think it's funny. Don't share my sense of humour, oh well, your problem not mine.

I don't post obnoxiously large images. And generally the conversations I post images in are already banal or just ridiculous..

I could say I want people to stop posting their opinions because they aren't as smart as me.. Arbitrary..

People need to lighten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                      Though I have to ask...what's the difference between posting a reaction gif (as per my prior post) and simply posting an emoticon as per the post I quoted?
                      There isn't..

But one is passive aggressive bullying because someone says so.

Comment

Thanks 240GLT. That is a major part of the problem. It is just what I hear more often than not. Comedic timing is difficult, and many of you don't hold a candle to anyone from the Daily Show, you couldn't stand next to a Bob Newhart, Russell Peters wouldn't acknowledge your creativity other than to mock it mercilessly (and he'd be funny), you certainly are not Don Rickles, and you are not in the same universe as John, Michael, Terry, Eric, and Graham. Sorry to say, but when I have to moderate, more than 9 times out of 10, your "humor" comes off from flat to bullying.

Adding to this, the context of most of these gifs also drives 90% of the report posts I receive as of late. When I go to look at the context of the gif, it is usually a direct attack on the poster.

Politicians who bring equally lame props to debates in hearings also get the same lame response. Is it different than posting an emoticon? Maybe not, but I certainly do not see the same amount of report posts from emoticons. Also, I find it curious that a lot of the gif posters are the first to report the posts of others for being slightly offensive.

It is no different when you write something that attacks a person's character, or post one of these gifs and call it "funny". I guess schoolyard taunts were "funny"? Office harassment like, "hey toots, fetch me a sandwich" is hilarious, and allowed in the workplace everyday?

To top it all off, when I was looking for advertisers, a couple mentioned that how immature the forum looked with these childish schoolyard taunts. In reality, the poster using these gifs usually comes off looking worse than who he or she is trying to "inform".

I'm just calling it as far too many see it.

I did simply ask to refrain from posting these, I didn't make it a rule. There was a reason for it as I too debated the difference to an emoticon. The big difference was that an emoticon is fairly small, but still gets a reaction. These gifs are fairly large and equate into a similar reaction as typing in all caps and a huge font.

However, this reaction to a simple ask is why I posted in the OP:

Originally posted by Admin
                        I will talk more, and I may even heed the suggestion that a rave section receives only positive comments, but I can also see some smart alec devolving the thread by saying, " this positively sucks".
                        Sometimes posters, a little introspection might be a good thing before you hit that "Submit Reply" button.
                        Ow

Comment

Okey dokey no more funny stuff. Me am totally serious from now on

Comment

To the comedians here, let me give you an example:

You are debating, say, blue sky.

A comedian, should he or she want to take on that subject, has an art where he/she/they spend a significant amount of time setting up the premise, working on the points, all building to the payoff. There is considerable effort in making the premise work, especially if they use the theatre of the absurd. It is the key for every great comedian. Listen to Bill Cosby's original stand up for a great example of this.

There is usually no tit for tat, unless you dare try to heckle someone. If that someone is the late great George Carlin, well, it was nice knowing you had some form of self respect at one time. When you leave the theatre, you'll be a pile of emotional goo.

That's the hook. If they threw a meme into the work, not only would they have to pay for licensing, but it wouldn't be original. But, maybe the comedian coined the following: (one I've seen here a few times in different styles)

OK, cute, funny, and a take off of this. I'm going to bet I don't even need to include the text on this one.

Now, let's take this place. Many here think they are working hard to make a point. Another comes along to make a counter point. The discussion gets heated with point and counterpoint. You respond with this (especially if you are losing the argument):

Add to it that it goes on and on in thread after thread after discussion between the same posters or from the same people, and it gets tired. When it starts showing up almost immediately as your first response, or worse yet, in almost every single post you have (and again almost always in response to the same person), it becomes annoying.

Both gifs on their own are funny to an extent (I actually like the "gansta kid"), but in response to a heated argument where your hubris is getting the better of you? That is the point many who speak to me in person, or write in, are saying.

Just a pause for thought from someone who has to wade through tons of these.
                            Last edited by Admin; 22-11-2013, 03:30 PM. Reason: changed debate topic.
                            Ow

Comment

Thanks Admin

Just to add my comments;

One must always remember that a joke or funny sarcasm often loses its humor and wit in print without the context of visual and audible cues such as body language of a person speaking. I bet if you put a line from Russel Peters without quotes onto the forum, it would be construed as racially insensitive or even hate. BUT when Russel Peters says it and in the context of being a identifiable minority, it comes off as hilarious and self-deprecating.

I do post a lot of images because a picture is said to be a thousand words. I do stay away from most gifs and spiteful images for the reasons you state but feel that a good 'facepalm' image used once in a while. Many times I use funny images as comic relief or irony to lighten up overly serious threads. I was going to post a facepalm after subaru's silly image earlier today but I thought that the Admin was going to freak.

Two rules of thumb

1. Know your audience
                              2. remember you mother may be listening...

Late note; I was responding to Admins post #12
                              I see I was a little late in my response.
                              Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-11-2013, 03:36 PM.
                              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Working...
                              X