Create specific Community forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create specific Community forums

Would this be useful? Bring c2e right down to the community / community league level by creating a very distinctive section where each and every community (150+) would have its own dedicated forum.

People could then discuss issues very specific to their immediate area. c2e could then serve as a city wide hub for Edmontonians to visit.

I could see it becoming a very dynamic addition since there are always so many little local issues going unaddressed. Eg. When are they going to repave our lanes, when are the meters being moved outside, what's happening with the former drug house up the street, how do we raise more funds for our playground, we need volunteers next week...

(Note: I've always thought an entity like the Edmonton Journal, EFCL, etc. would host such a forum but so far... not.)

I think that would result in a lot of empty or nearly empty forums. It might work better with larger subareas though. In my part of town, the "North Central" forum might include everything south of Yellowhead between the city center airport and the LRT, including Boyle-McCauley, Alberta Avenue, Parkdale, Delton and a few others. Others subareas might include Downtown (including Oliver and the north edge), Millwoods, Riverbend-Terwillegar, Castle Downs, St. Albert, Sherwood Park, etc.

Comment

We looked at doing this in the past, even having the EFCL promote people to come on here and set up their forum, but it didnt take root and to be honest the idea of 150 new dedicated forums seems a bit much.

I'd rather we keep it as is or start a small thread for your community should it warrant one.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

You could do it by Wards!
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Even then it is generally inactive.

Comment

Wards or quadrants make most sense, but I think it would be better to allow it to grow organically.

Nothing stopping me from making a Beverly or Northeast Edmonton thread.
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

And how would threads be managed then? Would a new building going up at an address be discussed in the community forum, or in a different forum? Would the new bathrooms on Whyte Ave be in the Strathcona forum?
              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                We looked at doing this in the past, even having the EFCL promote people to come on here and set up their forum, but it didnt take root (...).
                This...

We offered. The take rate was zero.
                President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
                  Wards or quadrants make most sense, but I think it would be better to allow it to grow organically.
                  Just my personal opinion from talking to folks I know.

C2E has grown organically and in someways very successfully.
                  In other ways unfortunately a failure, not anyone's fault, just the way it is.

It has become the Downtown forum to many people and that, again, is both good and bad.

It doesn't reflect the voice of Edmonton as a whole, just one demographic and only a small sampliing at that.

It doesn't reflect the needs and prioroties of Edmonton as a whole, just one demographic and only a small sampliing at that.

There is little to attract families, heaven forbid those in the suburbs and lord help anyone that enters a conversation that is not forum savy.

Could it still become what it was originally intended...of course, but it would be an uphill battle and require a ton of change.

I have had a number of people that have looked over the forum and even entered conversations and they are not coming back for a number of reasons...so it would mean reselling the entire forum to the community again. Massive job, whose gonna do it?

It would mean a change in moderation. That wouldn't be popular.

And it would take investment.

I personally think it would be easier to start over if it really is meant to be inclusive and that is the desire.

C2E is what it has organically grown to, accept it for what it is, while it lasts.

My opinion anyways.

Tom

Comment

Yeah, I have to admit, its grass roots orientation would be problematic and not in alignment with current user expectations.

Maybe something for one or the other media outlets to undertake (such as the EJ or ES) as it could serve as an avenue for news origination and dissemination.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
                      Yeah, I have to admit, its grass roots orientation would be problematic and not in alignment with current user expectations.

Maybe something for one or the other media outlets to undertake (such as the EJ or ES) as it could serve as an avenue for news origination and dissemination.
                      Don't sound so dismayed.

There is room in Edmonton for a more "Middle of the Road" forum in Greater Edmonton, it's just not this one.

Since C2E started more of the folks that are suburbanites, family types etc. have become more forum literate and just because this one "turns them off" doesn't mean that a new one with a fresh start can't accommodate them.

The problem will be that if and when that happens C2E will become much less relevant to the decision makers.

Meantime C2E fills a niche'.

For me I find t interesting trying to understand the points of view and it's been educational in many ways.

But for the most part I don't personally believe it reflects the needs, wants, desires and opinions of the majority of Edmontonians.

As I have discovered, anecdotaly, is that for the most part what is a hot topic here isn't a big deal for the rank and file. What is sneered at here is often very important to the masses.

It's interesting, educational and it is what it is. Definitely a study of human interaction.

My opinion

Comment

No, no. I'm not dismayed. I just throw out ideas to see what will stick or to challenge conventional beliefs, spur debate to generate new and better ideas, etc.

I do enjoy hearing your insights. Thanks.

I'd guess that one could say; 'Most people don't care about anything'. That's the law of averages at work. So change often takes a group with strong vested interests to ram through their position and C2e is just one more outlet for advocates to polish up and push - and recruit for - their favoured agendas.

I guess, just as there is a vast diversity of 'positions' out there, there is a need for diversity of representative forum providers to collectivize those positions. However, a community level entity may solve and create a lot of small personal level issues but never anything with a "critical mass" that would spur support from someone with an agenda. In other words it will take a Jimmy Wales (Wikipedia) type to drive it.
                        Last edited by KC; 10-07-2012, 09:15 AM. Reason: Can't type very well on a tablet

Comment

^ I think it's quite disingenuous to say that "most people don't care about anything"... just that what's important to some people here, really isn't that important to Edmontonians as a whole. That doesn't make the average Edmontonians' concerns any less valid, and certainly doesn't make the concerns of this forums' users any more valid. Hwoever, that is the myopic stance that many here take. I too would like a more inclusive C2E... as it used to be. This forum serves as an outlet for a small fraction fo the population. Many of us are involved in our communities in ways that this forum could never replicate, and affect real changes that takes real work... so much more so than subscribing to an internet message board.
                          Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Tom

I really liked the statement below, but feel as though a finger is being pointed at this vocal minority that is 'out of touch' with what the majority of Edmontonians want.

'It's interesting, educational and it is what it is. Definitely a study of human interaction.'

In my opinion and one of the reasons a bunch of us got together early on to think about the idea that ended up manifesting itself as C2E was to connect people, ideas, the region and promote discussion on things that perhaps had few people defending them or advocating for them such as the downtown, expanded LRT, TODs, living local, etc. etc.

This site was never just about one perspective, but rather has evolved into a site that perhaps encourages certain elements that are associated with a more singular perspective simply because people are passionate about encouraging people to think about how we grow, live and work and what kind of city that therein provides us. Correlation of cause and effect is still not top of mind, perhaps it never will be, but the choices 'we have made' have led us down a path that we are now hoping to correct to a certain degree.

If I ask my office (40 people) if they care about Capital BLVD, the arena, Alberta avenue, mature infill guidelines, reduced parking requirements, etc. etc, many might have a comment, but few would say it is 'important to them' for they expect others to advocate for those kind of things and make our city a better place by way of certain guidelines, regulations, investments, etc.

For far too long we forgot about the heart (central edmonton as a whole/think MNO) of this city and it shows. We needed to regain a balance and in doing so many people had to be more vocal and direct than perhaps people are used to.

The mold is slowly being broken and as you said, this is interesting and educational, but also about making real change as 240 points out.

Comment

Ian
                              I really liked the statement below, but feel as though a finger is being pointed at this vocal minority that is 'out of touch' with what the majority of Edmontonians want.
                              Funny I look at it at the site being populated by people that share a targeted view and mission. Which is fine.

but rather has evolved into a site that perhaps encourages certain elements that are associated with a more singular perspective
                              Which is essentially what I said so we agree.

Where we differ is that the vocal majority on the site often (ECCA debate is the best example) that they represent the majority. (in the ECCA case most Edmontonians could have cared less one way or another IMO).

C2E has a downtown, urban focus...that's fine and that's the way it is, but it is not inclusive which it was meant to be.

Ian...I am stating what I (and many others) see, doesn't make it right or wrong, just the way it is.

But that leaves room for an alternative that is more inclusive and more relective of the average Edmontonian.

You should note I have not said to change C2E...it is what it is accept it or don't.

My opinion

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X