Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreenSPACE
    replied
    Don't lock into any 2 year high speed internet contracts right now, cheaper prices are coming:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/08/21/s...lion-business/

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Before your new modem is installed can you do a AB speed test, like ping rates upload seeds that sort of thing? Enquiring minds need to know.
    I get more than my promised speeds, always have, plus no blocked ports or bandwidth caps.

Currently my 60/10Mbit package maxes out at ~8.3MB/s down & 1.4MB/s up.

I get a sub-30ms ping to Google's DNS servers & routinely game using my connection with nary a concern.

Leave a comment:

• envaneo
    replied
    ^ Before your new modem is installed can you do a AB speed test, like ping rates upload seeds that sort of thing? Enquiring minds need to know.

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    Originally posted by Highlander II View Post
    Do you notice much of a difference at that level?
    I'll let you know definitively when my modem arrives, but given I'm running into bandwidth issues now I'm happy to get more of it for the same money.

Leave a comment:

• envaneo
    replied
    Telus Pure fiber will be in the Clareview area next September. Insiders tell me that they can run fiber through traditional copper wire lines. Shaw is digging up areas by the old Clareview shopping centre now.

I'm more concerned of upload speeds then download.

Good news about Telus pure fiber it will not change our current billing rate when it gets here.

Leave a comment:

• Highlander II
    replied
    Do you notice much of a difference at that level?

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    I'm actually paying less for 150mbit now than I was paying for 50mbit 18 months ago. Including the modem purchase amortized over a year.

Leave a comment:

• Highlander II
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up.

I'm at the low end of their range, it might be time to bump it up at tier.

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    Anyone who's on Teksavvy via cable, note they've updated their plans. I'm going from 60 to 150 with no change in the monthly cost (I do need to buy a new modem though) @ $70/month.

Leave a comment:

• envaneo
    replied
    I'm no expert but it seems to me internet needs to be open source not just regulated to the top big 3. A colleague of mine works for Dell tech support. He mentioned of this open source TV platform he had installed on his smart phone. I can't recall its name Obmc or something. Apparently it was shut down. But imo open source is the way to go but that's probably another conversation.

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    I switched to a reseller (TekSavvy) instead of Shaw. Other than the switchover & the second-class technical support the 2 times in 5 years it's gone down it's been the best choice I've made.

Leave a comment:

• sundance
    replied
    Shaw isn't too bad if you just stick to internet, but like the others they gouge you when you add in cable.

Leave a comment:

• Jaerdo
    replied
    In Alberta we already have a "nationalized" internet backbone with SuperNet.

In my opinion municipalities should be utilizing SuperNet to establish municipal fibre systems. Olds did it already and they now offer the fastest speeds in the country.

We need to face the fact that the big players do not want to offer us globally competitive high speed internet. They are completely unwilling to take advantage of the taxpayer built SuperNet backbone which is sitting there ripe for the picking. Why would they when no one is going to compete with them? Why not just force the same old terrible product on consumers at absurd prices?
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 20-05-2016, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    Perhaps nationalized is a step too far, but we absolutely should decouple the retail side of telecommunications from the infrastructure side of things and then regulate the living heck outta the infrastructure, just like we've done with electricity & natural gas.

Leave a comment:

• Chmilz
    replied
    Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
    The problem of Internet in Canada is lack of competition, not a need to nationalize the infrastructure. Also technology to be able flexibility in using wireless spectrum is under way. In my previous life, I wrote my thesis on "Cognitive Radio"s. And efforts are underway to incorporate such solutions within 5G standards, when they will be formally drafted. However I suspect regulators in Canada will find ways to protect the oligopoly model currently in place.
    There's ample research showing that we don't need duplication of infrastructure by many competitors - that's simply wasted resources with huge costs. Last mile being nationalized would allow\ any competitors to sell the service \allow for much more competition with infinitely reduced cost of entry. They would all pay a fee per subscriber to the dept to pay for maintenance and constant upgrades, and as a non-profit, there would be few barriers to upgrading.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X