iTunes Fraud watch out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iTunes Fraud watch out

I just got a very convincing looking email suggesting it was from Apple iTunes, and that I needed to reconfirm my account as a different device had logged into it. Luckily I clued in that it looks like just a robot to get my password.

Here is the website it sends you to:

http://forumvagos.com/wp-includes/im...x/apple/apple/

Check the email address it comes from, it isn't an Apple address.

Comment

^not easy to spot though, my outlook just shows "iTunes" in header, but if you look closely, [email protected] with two e's, one p. On that web site they mess up the languages. This is a very convincing scam though (maybe how they got those celebrity photos, lol? They can have mine).

Comment

This scam, and similar ones, have been going around since the modern era of the internet.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

A lot of similar scams for shaw as well saying stuff like you have to confirm your account and such rubbish.

Funny how many times people attempting these scams can't even spell right. You think they'd put in enough effort to even make it credible.

Basically they just copy paste letter head and hope that looks official and that nobody notices how unusual the messages are.

Does anybody actually respond to these?
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

moahunter almost got suckered, and usually mis-spelt words are used to bypass spam filters.
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

The thing is, sometimes there are legit messages informing you that your account has been logged in on another device or similar (typically one of my kids doing something). What they do is clever here. I'm guessing the spelling and such is language related, not English as first language. Just found out my "sister in law to be" filled in the details, told her to change her password ASAP.

Comment

Can you copy/pasta the contents of the full email (minus any personal details)? I'm curious about something.

Comment

Includes an Apple logo (big Apple with bite out of it):

Your Apple account was recently logged into from a computer, mobile device or other location you've never used before.
                  Now you need to re-confirm your account information to us .

To confirm your Apple ID safely, click on the link below:
                  View your last account activity.

Note: If this is not done within 48 hours, we will block your account,
                  Copyright 2014 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
                  "View your last account activity" is a link to website in the OP.
                  Last edited by moahunter; 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                    The thing is, sometimes there are legit messages informing you that your account has been logged in on another device or similar (typically one of my kids doing something). What they do is clever here. I'm guessing the spelling and such is language related, not English as first language. Just found out my "sister in law to be" filled in the details, told her to change her password ASAP.
                    One key thing to note is such service providers are not going to contact you through email to alert you even if there was such intrusion. A security team would likely contact you at home and leave messages to reply. Even at that I ask security for information that they have so that I have some confirmation of who I am speaking with. If anything sounds suspicious at all I ask them more to substantiate. I do this because fraudulent phone calls take place as well. I also check to see if the number given is a legitimate ph number that is of the provider.

I'm not very computer savvy but enough to evade such solicitation. I've even played with scammers on the phone pretending to be gullible before telling them what their gig is and that I've just tied up their time for half an hour and that I'm on to them. They get aggravated. Done this twice while sitting outside on the deck enjoying the sun. At that point any feigned customer service skills evaporate and you start to hear the scammer get upset, even angry. I've reported a couple phone numbers but I don't know they can track them. Odd that they don't even use private number and that number is visible.

ps moa. Apple is not going to contact you from a website called amigodias.com or some such bs. sorry for this but anybody using email should be able to confirm where such a message is emanating from as the first rule.
                    Last edited by Replacement; 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM.
                    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Well, moahunter, you did the best thing you could - you noticed the spelling mistakes and the non-apple address it tried to send you to..

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blog...picious-emails

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                        ps moa. Apple is not going to contact you from a website called amigodias.com or some such bs. sorry for this but anybody using email should be able to confirm where such a message is emanating from as the first rule.
                        While this is true, someone less computer savvy will easily be caught in this scam. They don't know to check URL, or what is a valid URL.

appleid.apple.boguswebsite.com could easily trick me if I didn't know better. Looks like apple right? but the domain is actually boguswebsite.com

Comment

Some piece of **** sent me this on a fairly legit looking page a couple of hours ago. I quote:

------------------------------------

"PayPal

Your Account Will Be Closed

Dear customer, Your Account Will Be Closed , Until We Here From You . To Update Your Information . Simply click on the web address below "

--------------------------

Another jerkface with a less than basic grasp of English.
                          Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

I get one of this sort of thing every day or two on one of my accounts. For me, they're easy to weed out because it's an account that is only set up for reading and writing newsgroups and joining mailing lists. To say nothing of the fact that often it's services that I don't even subscribe to. It's spam. Just like all the other spam.

Eve

Comment

I always send these things to the Junk/Phishing Scam folder. I just wonder how diligent/successful is Hotmail in actually doing something about the problem though, since they must be deluged with this stuff at any given minute of the day or night. Surely, they can't possibly keep up with it all?
                              Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Working...
                              X