No announcement yet.

Anyone else enjoy listening to vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a couple of records, which I like to listen to from time to time: Iron Maiden - Powerslave; Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell; Racer-X; Loudness; Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force; Van Halen - 1984
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Comment

Blackbyrd music on Whyte recently yarded most of the CD's out and replaced them with records. 90% of the store is now vinyl and the selection, especially for new releases and reissues, is simply awesome.
      Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

I grew up with LP, 33 RPM, 8 track, cassettes so I have my biases that have been influenced by my past. I do wonder how many of a newer generation born after 1980 or so prefer CDs and digital music over vinyl.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitlope View Post
          Blackbyrd music on Whyte recently yarded most of the CD's out and replaced them with records. 90% of the store is now vinyl and the selection, especially for new releases and reissues, is simply awesome.
          I bet they never expected that to happen back in the early 90's when they were thinning out all the records to make room for CD's.

Comment

I bet they never expected that to happen back in the early 90's when they were thinning out all the records to make room for CD's.
            The real shame was that some bands & artists didn't even release their albums in the 90s on vinyl. Blue Rodeo - Five Days in July comes to mind. One of the finest releases of the decade and no vinyl option

Comment

Finally! Just bought one of my favorites, looks like it was reissued in 2016. One of the finest albums of the 80s... and a lot of worn cassette listens back in the day. This is going to sound phenomenal to my nostalgic ears. Woohoo!

Comment

^Is this a reissue?
                Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

*double post

Comment

yuppers, sounds like most of the Petty catalog has been reissued. Need to find "Into the Great Wide Open" now.

Comment

^You mentioned a few years ago you were looking for Blue Rodeo's "Five Days In July" in vinyl. Here is an Aussie first pressing:

Amazon Canada
                      Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Oh wow nice find Norwood. Looking like it was finally issued in Dec. 2015

Thats' the thing about this whole record thing of the last 5 years or so, prices have gone up in general which sucks however the good news is stuff is becoming available to the public that's been OOP for many years or decades. Take the good with the bad I guess.

Comment

Pretty stoked that one of my favourite albums of all time has gotten an expanded/deluxe, remastered vinyl edition. I'm tempted to grab it myself, but we're in the self-gratification blackout period where I don't buy myself stuff so my Xmas list isn't entirely gift cards.

https://www.amazon.ca/Queen-Dead-Mas...dp/B073Z9DRFQ/
                          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

No doubt there has been a lot of butchery of digital audio. The 44 kHz / 16 bit standard was developed as a compromise in the 1970s, then further degraded by clipping from excessive loudness and lossy compression. The odd part is that the response from those who demand better quality hasn't been demand for higher sample rates and bit depths and an end to excessive loudness and lossy compression, but instead this whole retro vinyl thing. I don't get it.

Comment

Higher sample rates & bit depths are still kludges when you're dealing with music that was recorded & mastered in an analogue format. Sure, you can put a lot of effort into minimizing the information loss that happens with the A/D conversion in a multitude of ways but it's always going to be there.

That being said, I'm intrigued by some of the albums that are getting remastered in Dolby Atmos.
                              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

At some point the analogue loss is just rounding error below human cognition and perception levels, and modern D-A conversion is decades past that point and now solely in the realm of Ya-But nitpickers still hung up on the old MP3 days or conflating it with the abominations of the Loudness Wars and hyper-EQing for broadcast play.

Albums are popular because the sleeve materials are larger and better than for CDs, and all the ones I've seen come with a download code which I suspect people actually use instead of the platters.
                                I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Working...
                                X