No announcement yet.

Anyone else enjoy listening to vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some great presses of records that are not available in any other formats and have to be shipped in from Germany, for instance, for a lot of my/my buddy's jazz, electronic, and hip-hop-groove jams as of late. He spins so he gets really rare records of disco, jazz, hip-hop, and electronic mish-mashes, and has a out of this world system. When we put on Sun Ra, for example, and listen to both sides for a good spin, nothing beats a good record, on a good system; however, we are both audiofiles and get a lot of our digs digitally for djing at parties, at work, and in the car for the regular day use. Then again... nothing beats putting on many progrock records that we have too. Depends on the person, purpose, and circumstance. Had to pipe in being of a probably a minute demographic on this forum. New records don't hiss or crack and you don't have to treat them as a newborn.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

^^

Sun Ra... Beatnik stuff!! Love it!

Sun Ra and the Blues Project .... Pardon the Digital Dander...
      ˙
      ...From this ragged handful of tents and cabins one day will rise a city...

Comment

Originally posted by AShetsen View Post
        About vinyl: just say no.

The clicks, and the hiss, and the insanely careful handling required. All for an illusion in any case.

Clicks? Hiss?

No such thing when you keep them clean and treat the records with care. I'm guessing you have never heard a decent vinyl setup.

Telling me I'm hearing/dealing with an illusion is typical thing to say for Joe Six Pack.
        Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

Joe Six Pack? Really? Come on, all this audiophilia is a bit precious. Dig your thing man, but claims of some elevated, "authentic" experience when discussing sound reproduction is a rabbit hole.

Comment

Yes, it can be a rabbit hole. Not gonna deny that. However, since my upgrades in the last year and after chasing "great sound" for some 20 years, I can finally say I'm 99.9% happy with what I'm hearing.

Comment

I have probably 400 vinyl albums, and two turntables. Years ago, when I travelled extensively in the US, I would buy albums and I wrote on the back of the covers the date and city. My musical tastes are quite eclectic. I love classical, early rock, big bands, American Song Book, jazz, R&B and more.
              Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Just picked up the latest Zeppelin Jimmy Page remastered reissues today, Zep IV & Houses of the Holy from Blackbyrd. Also snagged the Zep I boxset release as it's my favorite album by them.

Now that it's been a few months since the new turntable and it's relatively broken in and the Maggies have had over a year to sing now, all I can say is it's pretty awesome listening to some classic Zeppelin on vinyl.

Now playing - Over The Hills and Far Away

Comment

Thanks for the link, I read it and meant to reply when it was posted. Not sure I'll be checking it out though, work has slowed down and after today I've pretty much spent my vinyl funds until the new year.

Although, what's another 50 bones (which usually turns into a couple hundred - and that's the problem ).

Comment

I love vinyl. I have an old Dual turntable that I got from a thrift store for $3 (which then needed $200 worth of repairs - oops). It's actually a really good player. I'm by no means an audiophile - I just like the more active listening experience that comes with vinyl. I also love browsing goodwill for really weird gems.

Comment

While people say vinyl is "warmer" I don't hear the difference, I understand about how digitizing can remove certain information from the recording but I just like the convenience of my "mix tape" being a USB drive with my music on it. It is very nice to listen to when driving in the mountains where radio stations are few and far between and are typically FM with a very reduced range. So the songs on USB gives me many hours of listening pleasure.

Just listened to Zep yesterday, I was trying to educate my step-daughter that arguably Stairway is the best rock song of all time and that things like Bieber and most of the music she likes will be forgotten in 1 year, whereas the classics will be around for many, many years (43 in the case of Stairway).

Comment

^ hauling out the records is as much about the experience as the sound.
                        Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

I "get" the fact about cover art, Sgt. Pepper's, Dark Side of the Moon, Sticky Fingers are examples, you have a faint glimmer of it on CDs, obviously none with digital downloads.

Comment

^ it's not even about the cover art (although that is cool too). It's about making specific time for music. It's about flipping over to the phono channel on your vintage amplifier, spending the effort to find that specific album in your collection, placing it on your turntable and perhaps adjusting the RPM bias, and setting the needle down. It's about the mechanics of the equipment, it's about how it sounds. It's an experience that can't be matched with an ipod or Mp3 player.

I don't pull the records out often, but when I do it's to actually listen to music, not as background filler. And it is true, music sounds better on vinyl
                            Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

I have two turntables and about 500 vinyl albums. A few years ago in either Hamburg or Munich I was in a record store that had a huge vinyl section, and the records were all new. I love the medium.
                              Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Working...
                              X