No announcement yet.

Anyone else enjoy listening to vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed a few weeks ago that they are selling Dual turntables at London Drugs as well.

Not sure how they stack up to the iconic Dual tables of the 70's but pretty neat nonetheless
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

I've been to London Drugs more than a few times flipping through the records and buying some. I too find it neat that they're selling turntables and vinyl, tells you just how much of a revival it's been these last couple years.

Jack White's new LP is killer - he did all sorts of wild record tricks. You guys need to hear Serena Ryder and Lorde on vinyl - simply amazing. Granted, I have a thing for female voices and the Magnepan 1.7 speakers I snagged last year compliment women's voices very well.

Right now I'm listening to Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes on CD and it actually sounds pretty damn good.
      Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

Jack White loves vinyl so much he started Third Man Records, which specializes in vinyl release. He had a pretty good interview on Charlie Rose about a particular passion project, the Rise and Fall of Paramount Records 1917-1932, Volume 1.

Comment

We all have our loves in life. For me I've made the transition to digital music fully and completely so I can have all of my music with me or reasonably accessible no matter where I am.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
            Also a technics SL 1200 direct drive that I will never give up either.
            The SL1200 is quite a respected turntable amongst audiophiles, they command good prices on eBay. With a few mods they can deliver really good sound. A popular one is to put in a Rega tonearm, some rewiring for the phono leads and a moving coil cartridge.
            Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Technics SL1200s are also the vinyl-spinning dj crowd's favourites as well. Throwing down on the ones & twos! Direct drive & high torque, plus they're built like tanks.

I had a pair w/ a numark mixer when I was big into the OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ.
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

As one might expect audio playback quality depends a lot on the quality of the source material. A lot of the current mastering and recording practies leaves much to be desired especially with regards to dynamic range and loudness.

Sonically, analog recording had no real weaknesses I have heard rips from 60s era vinyl that are stunning.

High resolution digital can sound really good but again a lot depends on the engineering of the recording. And even high resolution music from vendors such as HDTracks has often been suspect. They often take whatever material the record labels supply them with and pass it off as high resolution downloads without vetting the supposed masters they receive for things such as frequency response (sometimes they are brickwalled and lacking in higher frequencies).

It's nice to see that vinyl has thrived although it will definitely remain a niche market. Today most people want their music to be convenient without a proper appreciation for actual sonic quality. To get the most from vinyl you have to make the effort to properly clean the vinyl and, ideally, also treat the vinyl chemically to reduce the clicks and groove noise. And if you have a decent turntable you have to make sure that the tonearm is properly set up, the cartridge has the proper VTA and the phono input has the proper impedance, etc.

Then there is the quality of the vinyl and the source of the master. Even audiophile releases of vinyl suffer from things like off center holds and poor quality vinyl that creates noise. You also have to deal with issues like tracking of inner grooves that can create distortion or sibilance (cue linear tracking tonearms). There are some who believe that the best old vinyl are the original issues (i.e. first editions) and in particular promo copies that are the first to come off the master pressing. The way the grooves are cut is also an art since physical space is limited and that affects the amplitude of the grooves (I have a test record on which one of the tracks tests dynamic range and the size of the squiggles are huge). As a result some audiophiles covet 12" EPs which are far less constrained.

Personally I feel digital and analog go hand in hand. Vinyl is a physical medium and it deteriorates the more you play it. So digitizing vinyl playback is a way of getting around that.

Yes, good vinyl definitely rocks.
                Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Nice summary Norwood. Yep, when vinyl works, it absolutely rocks.

Comment

Curious, what do connect your record players to? Do you go through an amplifier/received through the photo input to speakers, or something more elaborate?

Comment

In my case I have a seperates system, using a Rotel 1580 preamp and a 1582 2 CH power amp purchased last fall. Just a simple phono RCA hookup to the preamp although buying a higher quality separate phonostage eventually is enticing. Nothing really fancy or elaborate. What does my stereo justice IMO is the Magnepan 1.7 speakers I picked up last year... these things are the most detailed, amazing speakers I have ever heard. They are not a "Friday Night" speaker, but do wonders for clean sound. I love 'em and for the kind of music I usually listen to they're excellent.

Here's a pic of my setup. Needless to say, I wish I had more room.

Last edited by Kitlope; 26-06-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Wow.. that's some serious gear.

I run the phono, reel to reel and Mac through the mixer with RCA's and a few adapters, out to the equalizer and then to the amp. It's a little fussy but as I really enjoy playing with it I don't mind.

Also.. check out the boss red shag and paneling in the basement !!
                        Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Cool.. very nice setup Kitlope. I have a set of Telefunken speakers that wouldn't look out of place in 240's basement.

Comment

What? Vinyl played on Solid State equipment?

Heathens!

˙
                            ...From this ragged handful of tents and cabins one day will rise a city...

Comment

Hey, I soldered together my phono stage all on my own from a kit! That's gotta count for something.
                              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

About vinyl: just say no.

The clicks, and the hiss, and the insanely careful handling required. All for an illusion in any case.

Comment

Working...
                                X