Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else enjoy listening to vinyl?

No, I'm not a hipster. Too old.

About 3 years ago I made the jump to vinyl. Picked up a budget priced Pro-Ject Debut III for $400.00, upgraded the platter, cartridge (Ortofon 2M Blue) and a Speedbox. Loved what I heard on my few records and have since acquired a few hundred of my favorites. Hadn't toyed with records since the 1980's on my father's Technics system... so was gonna be a crash course.

The new Jimmy Page Zeppelin remasters are true sonic bliss, however I have only listened to Zep I of the first 3 albums that have so far been released.

Digital to me has an edge, a certain brightness and because of modern day butchering (Loudness Wars) of the digital medium I usually opt for the record.

Anyhoo, I'm heading to Audio Ark today to upgrade my turntable, probably to a Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 or something akin, maybe even the 9 series if the price is right. The Debut has treated me well and has served it's purpose in spades - but time to take the next leap.

And I haven't even opened Zeppelin II yet , but will be this evening

Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

If I had the extra cash, and room to setup a system to play vinyl, I would. It definitely has a sound that digital cannot do, and provides a different listening experience.

When I was younger, and more of an audiophile, I had scoffed at vinyl, until I heard one of my friend's dad's high end system, and I quickly changed my tune (pun intended) about vinyl. Its likely that the majority of stuff I listen to isn't available on vinyl, or won't really compliment the sound that vinyl provides.

Comment

Good lord.. I certainly hope that listening to vinyl doesn't make you a hipster... then again I've been spinning records long before it was nouveau cool

That's a pretty neat little rig... but I would not give up my Technics linear tracking table for anything..

I've set up the basement with the turntable hooked up to a top end vintage AKAI integrated amplifer, with a set of Cerwin Vega D8's and a set of Bose 201's on the rear channel. It's a pretty sweet little rig that sounds awesome. Much better than the crappy gear that passes for stereo equipment these days

Analog FTW!
      Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Good stuff guys! Nice to know I'm not the only one here that enjoys the warmth of vinyl. It's also easy to get caught up in the hardware aspect but in the end it's all about the music. If one keeps that in mind, then the various shortcomings of any playback system is much easier to overlook.

The turntable I am using (Project Debut III) is my weak spot within the 2 channel stereo, even though I did some decent upgrades to it, in the end it's still a $400.00 TT, hence why a new, better machine today. Gonna throw on a nice Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge over at Gramophone after picking up the new TT, about a $450.00 value. Apparently smooth as silk and tracks very well. I used the model under it on the Debut (2M Blue) and I am indeed happy with it so the Bronze should be a nice improvement.

Time to spin some Northern Pikes records!

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
          Good lord.. I certainly hope that listening to vinyl doesn't make you a hipster... then again I've been spinning records long before it was nouveau cool

That's a pretty neat little rig... but I would not give up my Technics linear tracking table for anything..

I've set up the basement with the turntable hooked up to a top end vintage AKAI integrated amplifer, with a set of Cerwin Vega D8's and a set of Bose 201's on the rear channel. It's a pretty sweet little rig that sounds awesome. Much better than the crappy gear that passes for stereo equipment these days

Analog FTW!
          WOW...

I have an SL QL1 Technics linear and have had it since new. Also a technics SL 1200 direct drive that I will never give up either. that and my AKAI reel to reel...nothing cooler than this take up reel...

Image from Vintage Texas
          President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I too love vinyl.

I have a U-Turn Orbit Plus hooked via a Hagerman Bugle2 phono preamp I built from a kit hooked into my Marantz SR5008.

Nothing terribly fancy, but in the world of analog, simpler is generally better.
            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

If you have enough disposable income you can buy a laser turntable, a laser beam follows the grooves on the record, then the information is ultimately translated into sound (I'm trying to not be overly technical).
              http://www.audioturntable.com/about/index.html

As for me I like the convenience of MP3 files on a USB drive, with high sampling bit rates you do get fairly high quality sound out of it. Having the ability to listen to hours of music driving in the Rockies without having to pay monthly satellite radio fees makes it worth it.
              Last edited by sundance; 25-06-2014, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Oh, trust me, hooked to the Marantz is also a HTPC with 14TB of storage including a few thousand albums of digitally encoded stuff in formats ranging from MP3 to FLAC to Apple Lossless.

Quite often MP3s are ripped from CDs that have been mastered to be loud, rather than right. I spent a good while ripping my some of my vinyl into MP3s because of just that. I've always got some sort of background noise going on, but if I wanna just sit & listen to some of my favourite stuff, out comes the vinyl. It's like cooking a nice meal for my ears from scratch, versus just hitting the drive-thru. I know a good portion of my enjoyment is purely psychosomatic, but there really is something to be said about a correctly mastered vinyl record's ability to produce sound.

Plus I've never seen a digital track as tricksy as Lazaretto by Jack White. That album is art without ever seeing a turntable.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/05/07/ja...vinyl-wonders/
                Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Not me. I listen to CDs.

(mp3s for the car)

Comment

I've got an old Toshiba turntable handed down from my parents.. along with his old record collection.

Have it hooked up in my music room.. along with Dad's old Roberts reel to reel system, but I don't know how that beast works.. that's older than me.

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                      (...)

Plus I've never seen a digital track as tricksy as Lazaretto by Jack White. That album is art without ever seeing a turntable.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/05/07/ja...vinyl-wonders/

^ this

yes, everyone has a collection of mp3, wav, CD's, etc. Digital media is here to stay, and has far better technical abilities....

...but, as you say...vinyl is an experience...and the album art...sometimes it is a lost art in itself...
                      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I love vinyl. There is something about the whole procedure of picking an album, cleaning the record, setting the stylus and just enjoying the cover art and writings that adds so much to the enjoyment of the music.
                        I currently have over 700 lp's, most are from the old days and many are in rough shape but I bought a record cleaner from Freecloud and have been able to recover a lot of them.
                        It's my addiction, it's so easy to drop a few hundred at a time buying lp's, but it's more than worth it.

Comment

I agree, ralph60 - Just like going to the Wee Book Inn for books or library for periodicals vs clicking an icon and reading the latest Consumer Reports in PDF on your computer.

Call me old fashioned but I do like owning a physical copy of something I just paid for and not a series of 0s and 1s on a hard drive in someone's cloud.

Comment

My dad has a bunch of vinyl from when we were growing up but I believe their record player is now gone. If I had the room for a system I'd probably throw in a record player just to play those records. But with today's need for music instantly and the quality of sound not as much desired record players will probably always be a niche. Why load up a record, search for the song when you can have it in 3 clicks or two finger mashes on a phone.

Comment

Well, went down to the Ark this morning and they didn't have the model I was initially planning to get but they ordered me a Pro-Ject Xperience Acryl and will fit on a Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge when it arrives. It's a beautiful table in it's own right and will be an improvement from the budget priced Debut III I currently have. They were actually out of stock on many models - seems Pro-Jects have been selling like hotcakes and a new shipment arrived from Europe to the Canadian distributer recently.

Here's hoping I have it within the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by Kitlope; 25-06-2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X