Personal drones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Like most on the thread I don't have an issue with Drones when operated properly and respectfully.

During the summer we have a couple folks that fly them in the local green space and have a gas with them ... where they are and the heights they fly them at they will not be effected by these rules.

I also don't think they are very restrictive ... they are looser that the rules for flying remote control aircraft or control line aircraft (remember the small ones that fly in circles on lines) which are outright banned by a city bylaw. Found out the hard way flying one with my kid years ago ... blew me away.

All said the rules outlined are pretty fair and reasonable IMO
    I advise anyone who fly's to get a MAAC membership for it comes with insurance. Ive crashed my drones before to have the engines catch fire . so if in a field of tall grass, there be a huge liability . Best be safe than sorry

Comment

There is an interesting article today but how a US ally (I am guessing Israel), shot down a $200 drone with a $3m patriot missile.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...eneral-reveals

A U.S. General has revealed that an American ally used a Patriot missile costing about $3 million to destroy a small quadcopter drone.

“That quadcopter that cost 200 bucks from Amazon.com did not stand a chance against a Patriot,” Gen. David Perkins told an audience at the Association of the United States Army’s Global Force symposium in Alabama earlier this week. “Now, that worked, they got it, OK, and we love Patriot missiles.”

Patriots are designed to shoot down enemy aircraft and are being touted as a way to also destroy ballistic missiles. Perkins did not provide details on which U.S. ally used the Patriot to shoot down the drone. However, he did say it was a “very close ally.”

But Perkins acknowledged the decision to use the sophisticated surface to air missile against the drone may have been a case of overkill. “I’m not sure that’s a good economic exchange ratio,” he told the audience. “In fact, if I’m the enemy, I’m thinking, ‘Hey, I’m just gonna get on eBay and buy as many of these quadcopters as I can and expend all the Patriot missiles out there’.”

Comment

The Dutch just use a bird...

Costs just 3 mice a day
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Originally posted by champking View Post
          Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
          Like most on the thread I don't have an issue with Drones when operated properly and respectfully.

During the summer we have a couple folks that fly them in the local green space and have a gas with them ... where they are and the heights they fly them at they will not be effected by these rules.

I also don't think they are very restrictive ... they are looser that the rules for flying remote control aircraft or control line aircraft (remember the small ones that fly in circles on lines) which are outright banned by a city bylaw. Found out the hard way flying one with my kid years ago ... blew me away.

All said the rules outlined are pretty fair and reasonable IMO
          I advise anyone who fly's to get a MAAC membership for it comes with insurance. Ive crashed my drones before to have the engines catch fire . so if in a field of tall grass, there be a huge liability . Best be safe than sorry
          Excellent advice, should have thought of it myself but glad you caught it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
            The Dutch just use a bird...

Costs just 3 mice a day
            Quite a number in the USA have been doing this for a while with Falcons. Started as bird control and then added/retrained for Drones. Some actually have a fine chain mail for their talons to protect them from the rotors.

Mother Nature wins again .... but they cost a tad (sarcasm) more than 3 mice a day. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
              Could be a business in waiting if someone wanted to charge a fee for people to fly their drones on their acreage or farm. $5 an hour to soar over the land, treetops.
              Or you get a SPOC which exempts you from most of the limitations. The requirements to get such a certificate?

How to apply

Send a detailed application to the Transport Canada Civil Aviation Regional Office in the region where you intend to fly your UAV. Your application must contain all information required by the Transport Canada SFOC staff instruction, including:
              • your contact information
              • a description of how, when, and where you plan to use your UAV
              • a detailed plan that explains how you will deal with safety risks

Big whoopity do. You type an email and wait two weeks. Doesn't even cost anything.
              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                Could be a business in waiting if someone wanted to charge a fee for people to fly their drones on their acreage or farm. $5 an hour to soar over the land, treetops.
                Or you get a SPOC which exempts you from most of the limitations. The requirements to get such a certificate?

How to apply

Send a detailed application to the Transport Canada Civil Aviation Regional Office in the region where you intend to fly your UAV. Your application must contain all information required by the Transport Canada SFOC staff instruction, including:

Big whoopity do. You type an email and wait two weeks. Doesn't even cost anything.
                It's illegal to earn money or do work with a hobby craft / drone... need approval with flight plan as per transport Canada. It's very tough to get as there is no formal paperwork, you kinda got to draw it up on your own. Most guys will charge a couple grand just for paper work

Comment

Originally posted by champking View Post
                  Originally posted by Chmilz View Post

How to apply

It's illegal to earn money or do work with a hobby craft / drone... need approval with flight plan as per transport Canada. It's very tough to get as there is no formal paperwork, you kinda got to draw it up on your own. Most guys will charge a couple grand just for paper work
                  Have you actually done it ? cause I have and unless things have changed in the last year it not as easy as you think.

Comment

A drone at Ogaki Park in Gifu Prefecture on Saturday (November 4) spun out of control, injuring six people.
                    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Assassination drones or drones used on mass to kill thousands.

'Slaughterbots' film shows potential horrors of killer drones

By Matt McFarland November 14, 2017: 1:07 PM ET
                      Perhaps the most nightmarish, dystopian film of 2017 didn't come from Hollywood. Autonomous weapons critics, led by a college professor, put together a horror show.
                      It's a seven-minute video, a collaboration between University of California-Berkeley professor Stuart Russell and the Future of Life Institute that shows a future in which palm-sized, autonomous drones use facial recognition technology and on-board explosives to commit untraceable massacres.
                      http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/14/tech...-ai/index.html

Comment

Slaughterbots is a disturbing short film by the group the "Campaign to Stop Killer Robots".

It fits in your hand and it can kill you faster than a blink of your eye with 3 grams of shaped charge explosive

And they can be deployed by the millions in minutes

The Future of Life Institute (an AI watchdog organization that has made a name for itself through its campaign to stop killer robots) released a nightmarish short film imagining a future where smart drones kill. The short is called ‘Slaughterbots,’ and it channels the near-future dystopias depicted in Black Mirror in an attempt to raise awareness about the dangers of autonomous weapons.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvi...ot_be_stopped/

Comment

Working...
                        X