X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kcantor
    replied
    Originally posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    A not so old piece of technology - the humble Hard Disk. FYI. Last year I switched out the traditional Hard Drive on my desktop and replaced it with a Solid State Drive.

It makes booting up, shutting down and overall greatly increases the speed of your PC.

So much, that it may not be much longer till we see mechanical hard drives going away ! Traditional drives can store more for less dollars, but I'm sure in a few years they will for the same price point too
    i remember when that humble hard disk was considered a luxury that no-one but a hard core tech user needed.

our first "home pc" was an ibm ps/w model 70 considered high end because it was built around intel's cutting edge '386 chip set and came with two 3 1/2" floppy disk drives, not just one. you could boot and run from one while storing files on the other. at 720k, they offered almost as much storage as some of the earlier hard drives did and mass storage was a plastic case that would store 20 disks to be swapped in and out as needed! interestingly enough, it probably did almost everything i do today albeit with programs and code and file sizes that were infinitely less bloated than our current hardware supports and encourages.

it came with a 15" state of the art colour crt display that was 2 feet deep and must have weighed 18 pounds.

it was a discounted "group purchase price" through my employer at the time and cost me about $5,400 in mid-1980's dollars. just about every computer i've purchased since - except the last two - has been in that price range. they've all been drastically more machine than i ever really needed when i bought them but they've all given me much longer life spans as a result before needing to be retired as new technology eventually left them behind.

Leave a comment:

• norwoodguy
    replied
    The first disk drive that I ever bought was in the mid 80s and it cost several hundred dollars for a meagre capacity of 30 megabytes. An amount which in today’s dollars would be double. Computer storage has to be one of the greatest bargains in consumer electronics history.

Leave a comment:

• noodle
    replied
    All of my machines boot off of SSDs but my main storage remains good ol' spinning rust. No way I could afford to replace 55TB of storage with SSDs any time soon, but thankfully the array is fast enough on its own for the purposes I need it for.

Leave a comment:

• rupikhalon001
    replied
    A not so old piece of technology - the humble Hard Disk. FYI. Last year I switched out the traditional Hard Drive on my desktop and replaced it with a Solid State Drive.

It makes booting up, shutting down and overall greatly increases the speed of your PC.

So much, that it may not be much longer till we see mechanical hard drives going away ! Traditional drives can store more for less dollars, but I'm sure in a few years they will for the same price point too

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    What It’s Like to Work on a 30-Year-Old Macintosh - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...todays/591154/

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    The mysterious origins of an uncrackable video game
    By Chris Baraniuk
    23 September 2019

Excerpts:

“There was always something intriguing about Entombed, recalls John Aycock at the University of Calgary, in Alberta, Canada. “

“Like intrepid explorers of catacombs, Aycock and Copplestone sought curious relics inside Entombed. But they got more than they bargained for: they found a mystery bit of code they couldn’t explain. It seems the logic behind it has been lost forever.”

“During their research, Aycock and Copplestone were able to interview one of the people involved in the game’s production, Steve Sidley.

He too remembered being confused by the table at the time. “I couldn’t unscramble it,” he told the researchers. And he claimed it had been the work of a programmer who developed it while not entirely sober: “He told me it came upon him when he was drunk and whacked out of his brain.” Aycock tried to contact the programmer in question but got no response.”

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019...rly-video-game
    Last edited by KC; 24-09-2019, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    Amazing that many of the Captains were Shakespearian actors.

Leave a comment:

• sundance
    replied
    I never knew she was Cumberbatch's mom ... cool.

The ironic part about Space 1999 is that they underestimated the computer technology, some of this was because of budget, some was this was what they guessed technology might be. Your car has more buttons and screens then the Eagles. The vast majority of monitors are black and white. While the clocks are analog, I prefer a simple analog clock over a digital clock.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    Interesting. It's always fascinating to go back and look at old portrayals of the future.

16 Movies That Predicted Technology Right
    By Paul Lilly Aug, 2013

http://www.pcgamer.com/movies-predic...gy-right-2013/

Leave a comment:

• norwoodguy
    replied
    Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions

Episode 2 - Winged Assassin

Episdoe 28 - Inferno

The miniature model work is just great. No doubt Gerry Anderson influenced a lot of budding special effects people.

BBC Captain Scarlet page

Leave a comment:

• norwoodguy
    replied
    Originally posted by KC View Post

Never heard of them. Any good links?

I imagine thus stuff inspired a lot of computer people to come.
    UFO
    Looks like there are a number of full episodes on YouTube. The intro to each episode has a good number of model vehicle and special effects shots that will give you a taste of what it's like. Here's a couple of episodes

Episode 17 (1970) - Sub Smash
    Episdoe 1 (1970) - Identified

UFO Series Site

A small bit of interesting trivia, Benedict Cumberbatch's mother Wanda Ventham was an actress on UFO and she was a rather attractive lady in her day.

http://www.handjiveuk.com/index.php?...roduct_id=1014

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
    UFO was one of my favorite sci-fi programs from that era. It was stylish, rather foreboding with all kinds of neat model vehicles e.g. submarines, various aircraft & spacecraft, tracked vehicles etc.

And of course another Gerry Anderson creation Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions. Loved the cool vehicles and aircraft on that show as well.
    Never heard of them. Any good links?

I imagine thus stuff inspired a lot of computer people to come.

Leave a comment:

• norwoodguy
    replied
    UFO was one of my favorite sci-fi programs from that era. It was stylish, rather foreboding with all kinds of neat model vehicles e.g. submarines, various aircraft & spacecraft, tracked vehicles etc.

And of course another Gerry Anderson creation Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions. Loved the cool vehicles and aircraft on that show as well.

Leave a comment:

• sundance
    replied
    I grew up watching Space 1999, just finished watching an old Gerry Anderson show UFO their idea of a computer wasn't much more than a bunch of buttons and reel to reel tape. Garry stated that people liked the moon episodes of UFO which lead him to eventually develop Space 1999. I had heard they actually reused some of the set pieces from UFO for Space 1999 well.

As an FYI the opening scene of Star Wars where the Blockade Runner fleeing the Star Destroyer was essentially lifted from Space 1999. Some of the same special effects artists where used in Star Wars and Alien notably Brian Johnson
    http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/...e/vccx.html#SW

Leave a comment:

• Paul Turnbull
    replied
    Even the ISS looks dark at night:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X