Old Computer Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC View Post
    Almost forget. - Big honkin daisy wheel printers and 11" x 17 city bock long paper (I striated sheet per box). With tear off perf'd side strips.

Then $7,000 apple laser printers for the home office...

Then cheap but impossible to read dot matrix printers.

And computer room dot matrix printers that printed an entire line in one hit. Everywhere you saw them the staff built sound insulating cabinets to keep down the noise.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Kenbak-1

The man who made 'the world's first personal computer'

By Bill Wilson, Business reporter, BBC News, 6 November 2015

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34639183

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
        The games were awesome too!

And every time I hear Castle Wolfenstein I think this:

Many, many,hours wasted!

Who knew 8 bit noise could sound like KAPUT
        President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

^ "Many, many,hours wasted!"

I've only played a couple computer games in my life. PacMan in the bars and then played Wolfenstein one night at home and kept going for several hours into the morning.

It was a similar experience to my reading novels years before: I don't put the book down until I'm done. On fiction, I guess I'm a binge reader, so I stopped reading fiction. Experienced the same thing with Wolfenstein that night so I never went back to any computer game.

Anyone notice who's pictured in the Kaypro photo above?
          Last edited by KC; 08-11-2015, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Yes. Arthur C Clarke. It was a very popular computer including among people like archaeologists because it was built like a tank.

My first purchased computer was a Kaypro II. And I transported it between my home and the campus all the time. It was stolen in a home burglary and because I had many files which belonged to others (I prepared Masters and Doctoral theses many of which were in the final stages), and because file formats were so proprietary back then, I bought a used Kaypro IV to replace it. (I had to tell one woman who bought an Osborne for her son for $2500 that I wouldn't even take it for free.)

I still have fond memories of it. The Kaypro IV was given to an English major who just loved the look of it.

Comment

A long time friend was one of those geeks in school who did the punch card thing. He wound up graduating from U of A with a Computer Engineering degree, when they still had that.

Undoubtably a genius (and Asperger's, for sure), there was a time when he was recognized as one of a handful of experts worldwide (I think I remember him saying he wasn't supposed to go to Russia), doing lectures at MIT, and working in the early Silicon Valley before returning home to Edmonton.

He formed a company with another genius friend at U of A (now a math professor, I believe).

That was quite a few years ago. Now their software is in more than half of the refineries in the world, and many nuclear reactors as well. Something to do with valves, but don't ask me Never had an incident. It just works.

A big success, and a huge Edmonton success story, but he'd rather people didn't know about it so I won't mention their names. Now he says there are probably 1000 people in Edmonton that can do what he does. I think he's being very modest.

He's ready to retire, but they keep offering him more money.
              aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

1969 Honeywell Kitchen Computer

http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/1...day-vol-xcvxi/

Comment

An old, old tech firm - started in 1959!

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:35pm EDT Related: REGULATORY NEWS, BREAKINGVIEWS
                  Solar developer SunEdison in bankruptcy as aggressive growth plan unravels
                  BY TOM HALS AND NICHOLA GROOM

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-su...-idUSKCN0XI1TC

Foundation

The establishment of Monsanto Electronic Materials Company (MEMC), a silicon wafer–manufacturing division to serve the emerging electronics industry, was announced on August 6, 1959, as an arm of the U.S.-based multinational corporation Monsanto.[6] In February 1960 MEMC started production of 19mm silicon ingots at its location in St. Peters, Missouri, 30 miles west of Monsanto's headquarters in St. Louis.[7] As one of the first companies to produce semiconductor wafers, MEMC was a pioneer in the field, and some of its innovations became industry standards into the 21st century.[8] MEMC used the Czochralski process (CZ process) of silicon crystal production,[9] and developed the Chemical Mechanical Polishing (CMP) process of wafer finishing.[8][10][11] In 1966 MEMC installed its first reactors for the production of epitaxial wafers,[12][13] and developed zero-dislocation crystal growing, which made large-diameter silicon crystals possible.[8][14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunEdison
                  Last edited by KC; 21-04-2016, 02:46 PM. Reason: add history from wikipedia

Comment

US nuclear force still uses floppy disks
                    4 hours ago

Excerpt:

"The report said that the Department of Defence systems that co-ordinated intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft "runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer - a 1970s computing system - and uses eight-inch floppy disks".

The floppy disk - what is it?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36385839

Comment

Skynet will have problems taking that over.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                        Skynet will have problems taking that over.
                        And it would never have guessed the nuclear balistic missle launch codes were: 000000

Sorry, correction. Make that eight zeros.

FOR NEARLY TWO DECADES THE NUCLEAR LAUNCH CODE AT ALL MINUTEMAN SILOS IN THE UNITED STATES WAS 00000000

Today I found out that during the height of the Cold War, the US military put such an emphasis on a rapid response to an attack on American soil, that to minimize any foreseeable delay in launching a nuclear missile, for nearly two decades they intentionally set the launch codes at every silo in the US to 8 zeroes.

problem that many U.S. commanders had the ability to launch nukes under their control at any time. Just one commanding officer who wasn’t quite right in the head and World War III begins. As U.S. General Horace M. Wade stated about General Thomas Power:

I used to worry about General Power. I used to worry that General Power was not stable. I used to worry about the fact that he had control over so many weapons and weapon systems and could, under certain conditions, launch the force. Back in the days before we had real positive control [i.e., PAL locks], SAC had the power to do a lot of things, and it was in his hands, and he knew it.

I used to worry about General Power. I used to worry that General Power was not stable. I used to worry about the fact that he had control over so many weapons and weapon systems and could, under certain conditions, launch the force. Back in the days before we had real positive control [i.e., PAL locks], SAC had the power to do a lot of things, and it was in his hands, and he knew it.
                        http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ates-00000000/

http://cdn.moviestillsdb.com/sm/53d8...trangelove.jpg
                        Last edited by KC; 26-05-2016, 08:08 AM.

Comment

skytrain still runs on floppy disks too

http://www.vancouversun.com/Inside+S...529/story.html
                          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                            skytrain still runs on floppy disks too

http://www.vancouversun.com/Inside+S...529/story.html
                            And our metroline?

Very interesting business lesson here! (See below)

Maybe the old Royal Alberta Museum building should be deducted to Edmonton's globally monopolizing all the other defunct technology sites and sales.

Think the floppy disk is dead? Think again! Here’s why it still stands between us and a nuclear apocalypse
                            By Brad Jones — September 26, 2015

Thankfully, the prescient Mrs. Persky wrestled the phone from his hands and agreed to the deal. ...

His customer base has actually grown as retailers have abandoned the format. Today, there’s a pleasing sense of nostalgia to the business model that mimics the product that the company sells — while half of orders come via the web store, the other half are typically completed over the phone.

But floppy disks were not.
                            Replacing the machines would seem the logical option, but many of them are too valuable to scrap, or can’t be easily replaced by a modern equivilent. Tom lists the aforementioned embroidery machines, as well as ATMs, and some aviation tech as prime examples of devices that still have a need for data introduced through a floppy drive.

The reach of the floppy disk today goes further than you might expect. If the thought of vital flight equipment using a floppy for input seems far-fetched, then you may well be surprised to hear that the format is still in use..."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...dgqRUNOArPG7vA
                            Last edited by KC; 26-05-2016, 08:21 AM.

Comment

The problems with the Metro Line began with the decision to try and integrate it's modern switching with the old system on the existing LRT lines. I wouldn't be surprised if that system did still have floppies.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Star Trek, 2001 Soace Odyssey, Space 1999... Among the first futurizations of computer tech

FUTURE, PAST
                                SPACE: 1999
                                SEPTEMBER 28, 2010

"When I was a kid I loved watching the 1970’s tv show Space: 1999. For some reason it was only on around 11 or 12 at night, and so I had to stay up late, which gave watching it a kind of other-worldly experience. A few months ago Sean Adams did a great post on the show’s fashions and interiors — and I’ve been meaning, since then, to post something on the show’s computer interactions.

Watching it now, it’s fascinating to see the way that they use “Computer” — the master system that ran all of aspects of the moonbase. Computer was everywhere, and much of show, especially the command center, has the feeling of being set inside a computer lab. Strongly influenced by computer hardware designs of the 70’s, the sets have walls covered by rack-mounted, bold and colorful, units.
                                ..."

http://www.inventinginteractive.com/...28/space-1999/
                                Last edited by KC; 28-05-2016, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X