Windows 8 - to upgrade or not too upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 - to upgrade or not too upgrade

Anyone have the new Windows 8 operating system. I see on the Microsoft web-site your can download it for $39.99.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/buy

Anyone thinking of upgrading or already has it, how does it rate.
    The screen looks gaudy to me, unorganized.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I've tried a new Windows 8 laptop my friend bought and I personally think it's great. He's also really liking the new OS. It is much more touch oriented but works fine with a mouse and keyboard. Desktop mode allows you to use your computer as if it were a Windows 7 machine. The Live Tiles are pretty cool too, rather than having to open up an app or program, all the information you need just instantly pops up on the screen. A learning curve does exist but the OS is great once you get past the basics. I'm personally waiting for the Surface tablet with Windows 8 Pro once that comes out in 2013.

Comment

I did watch a couple of tutorials on line about how the OS works but they go pretty fast and touch on a few things. It does look like a complete departure from the way the previous systems work. It did mention you could keep it looking like previous Windows OS's. The download price of $39.99 seems reasonable and it's on for that price until Jan. 2013. It is the Window 8 Pro and that includes the Media Centre. Thanks for your info, I appreciate it.

Comment

No problem, but I also did want to mention that this OS is not for everyone. Since the OS is so different from previous versions, I know some people who have created Windows 7 recovery disks so that if they really do end up hating Windows 8, Windows 7 can be reinstalled. Would definitely recommend going to any retailer and just play around with some of the computers to get a feel for the new OS. Also, its not like Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 anytime soon, it will be supported until January 2015. There's no rush to get Windows 8.

Comment

Good idea to go check it out somewhere. A buddy of mine just bought a new laptop and she got Windows 8 with it. Yeah, Windows 7 will be supported for some time yet. I have an old laptop that that I don't use anymore. It has Windows Vista on it and I believe that Windows 8 can be upgraded over it provided you have the system requirements. It would be a cheap fix to get that old laptop up to speed. I did back up my Windows 7 and have the disk. I even took my laptop back to the factory settings at one point as I got a virus in it.

Comment

I won't be upgrading to W8 on my desktops right away, but I did upgrade my ASUS EP121 slate and I must say it really wakes up this tablet. Win7 was OK and I used the tablet more than my laptop at times, but now it is no choice...the tablet is out the most.

There are some fussy issues, but those are personal. Overall, if you have a tab/slate PC - go for it!
            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

The motherboard on my desktop died, so I decided to get a new tower with Windows 8 installed. It's way different from Windows Vista that the old system had. I'm still in the process of installing the programs that I most use. So far so good, but i have not yet got the printer or scanner working.
              Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Most of the reviews I have seen haven't been very positive, I suggest searching the internet for reviews to see the pros and cons before upgrading. If you like Windows 7, I would suggest not upgrading (its mainly designed for touch screen computers/tablets).

Comment

I upgraded from Win7, and I found the transition to it much easier than I thought. Most of the time, I can still do the majority of my tasks in desktop mode, but having some of the features in the Metro interface are kind of nice too.

For a traditional desktop PC, I'm not sure you're gonna miss out on any new features, at least not in the immediate future, if you don't upgrade. It really is geared towards tablets / touch screens.

Comment

I wonder how long it will be before the traditional desktop mouse and monitor is replaced by touchscreen?
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

One of the biggest draws to upgrade to Windows 8 is the price. The online $39.99 upgrade price is good until Jan. 2013. You can buy the upgrade disk online for not much more. Staples is charging $79.99 for the upgrade disk and that price is good until Jan. 31/2013. I read that Windows 8 upgrade is not flying of the shelves and sales have been rather slow. Hence the low upgrade price. Of course, it is now on all new electronics you buy. One thing I did read was that even if you upgrade to Windows 8 you can still run your computers in Windows 7 mode.

Comment

Just curious, why are you thinking of upgrading? What are you getting for your $40?

Comment

^If I am going to upgrade I would rather get it at the bargain basement price of $39.99 than what they will be charging after the offer is over. New Windows 8 operating system. The latest (but not sure if it's the greatest) operating system out there. What do you think they are selling?.
                          Last edited by Gemini; 25-11-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

They are selling hype and an O/S designed for touchscreens, its adoption rate has been very slow. Read some reviews Gemini, I have read quite a few and haven't read many positive ones.

Is there a killer feature that you need that isn't offered on your current O/S (otherwise you are just handing over $40)?

Comment

Windows 8 is definitely a big UI change so I think you need to assess how valuable that is to you. Personally if I was a Windows user I'd likely have upgraded already on at least one machine but then part of my job is being on top of the latest stuff and I like playing with different UIs. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is sticking with Windows 7 as it does everything she needs to right now. If all you're interested in is running your apps (games or productivity), Windows 7 is solid and will be supported for years.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Working...
                              X