The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The All Inclusive Smart Phone War

I am with Telus and my 3 year plan with a Blackberry Pearl will expire in the next few months. I am therefore considering the iPhone 4 and would like to get your opinions on that phone versus say a BB Bold. I also have free voice mail and call display which I previously negotiated with Telus and am not willing to pay for these features.

Thanks in advance.

Have you used a touch screen phone? I had an iPhone 3GS for the past 18 months, and was almost relieved when I lost it because it meant I could go back and correct the mistake of purchasing a touchscreen only phone.

If you don't text or email much, probably not a big deal having a physical keyboard. If you don't mind the abortion that is iTunes and use your phone as much for media consumption as for a communication device, then perhaps an iPhone 4 makes sense.

Personally now that I've had it work a week, I'm liking my Torch more and more. It's not as "slick" as the iPhone was to be sure, but it has a standby battery life that's 3-4 times as long as the iPhone and a physical keyboard, which were my two biggest complaints about the iPhone along with iTunes. The 3GS requires daily charging with even moderate use, anyone telling you different is lying. Not sure if the 4 was much improved in that respect, but I doubt it.

And finally, the iPhone 5 will probably be released or at least announced in the next couple months. If you're set on one, probably best to wait for the latest and greatest.

Comment

I would suggest neither and go with Android, it has massively grown in the last year and is the number one operating system in the world with no signs of slowing down. Things like running Flash, customizing your screens with widgets (allows data to be shown on your home screens without going in and out of apps), variety of hand sets (screen sizes from 3.5" to 4.3", physical keyboards, etc), using your device as a hotspot (connecting up to 8 devices to your phones internet connection), typing using Swype, more than just the home button (has menu, back and search buttons), true multi tasking, and a superior notification system are just a few reasons why. I had the HTC Desire and got the HTC Desire HD last week and it cannot be beat.
      Last edited by Hilman; 17-02-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

If you go touchscreen, look at Android or Windows Phone products, I personally find them to be superior to the iPhone. My wife played with lots of phones via friends and family and got a Samsung Galaxy S, and she prefers it to the iPhone.

One thing to note, if you go with a touchscreen smartphone, know that simple voice quality is crap on almost all of them. If you do lots of talking, a Blackberry might be a better device, as they seem to still actually care about voice quality.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
          Have you used a touch screen phone? I had an iPhone 3GS for the past 18 months, and was almost relieved when I lost it because it meant I could go back and correct the mistake of purchasing a touchscreen only phone.

If you don't text or email much, probably not a big deal having a physical keyboard. If you don't mind the abortion that is iTunes and use your phone as much for media consumption as for a communication device, then perhaps an iPhone 4 makes sense.

Personally now that I've had it work a week, I'm liking my Torch more and more. It's not as "slick" as the iPhone was to be sure, but it has a standby battery life that's 3-4 times as long as the iPhone and a physical keyboard, which were my two biggest complaints about the iPhone along with iTunes. The 3GS requires daily charging with even moderate use, anyone telling you different is lying. Not sure if the 4 was much improved in that respect, but I doubt it.

And finally, the iPhone 5 will probably be released or at least announced in the next couple months. If you're set on one, probably best to wait for the latest and greatest.
          Thanks Marcel. You're right because it does depend what your main use of the device is. I never text but do email a lot and don't talk so much on the phone. The music stuff wouldn't interest me but I have an iPod Touch and like the way that works. Glad you like the Torch and will look into that one as well, battery life is definitely a factor.

Originally posted by Hilman View Post
          I would suggest neither and go with Android, it has massively grown in the last year and is the number one operating system in the world with no signs of slowing down. Things like running Flash, customizing your screens with widgets (allows data to be shown on your home screens without going in and out of apps), variety of hand sets (screen sizes from 3.5" to 4.3", physical keyboards, etc), using your device as a hotspot (connecting up to 8 devices to your phones internet connection), typing using Swype, more than just the home button (has menu, back and search buttons), true multi tasking, and a superior notification system are just a few reasons why. I had the HTC Desire and got the HTC Desire HD last week and it cannot be beat.
          Thanks Hilman. Have heard of the Android devices and they are getting very good reviews. Does seem a little more complex for what I would need as I am certainly not a techi.

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
          If you go touchscreen, look at Android or Windows Phone products, I personally find them to be superior to the iPhone. My wife played with lots of phones via friends and family and got a Samsung Galaxy S, and she prefers it to the iPhone.

One thing to note, if you go with a touchscreen smartphone, know that simple voice quality is crap on almost all of them. If you do lots of talking, a Blackberry might be a better device, as they seem to still actually care about voice quality.
          Thanks Chmilz. In what way do you find the above superior to the other phones? I've heard the voice quality might not be so good but I probably make six calls a week on my phone! Yes I know, why am I getting another one!!

Comment

I heart my torch VERY much
            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I would miss BBM if I didn't have a Blackberry, so many friends are on it.

I just have the bold (work supports it but not Torch). Supposedly the next bold will have a small touch screen, I think that would be perfect for me as I like the Bolds size but find the Torch a little clunky the few times I've played with them.

Comment

bold 9700 have very good battery life so far but one problem is that if bell released software 6.0 for that bold, memory is not that great because bold 9700 have only 256 mb memory. 6.0 will only make memory free space much smaller perhaps 50 - 75 mb left. I suggested that software 6.0 will work great for bold 9780 because they have 512 MB memory.

for 6.0 to be released soon for bell , 3G pearl, curve 9300 3G and bold 9700.

telus , curve 9300 3G and pearl 3G

rogers, curve 3G 9300

BB torch and bold 9780 for big 3 carriers have software 6.0
                Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Android. More variety of phones and will surpass IPhone as an operating system soon. My prediction, BlackBerry will be a blast from the past in the not too distant future. Remember Palm Pilot?

Comment

I have an iPhone 4. If you ever look into your hands and one is holding a phone and the other is holding an iPod and you ever ask yourself "why can't it just be one", then that's the way to go.
                    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

I synced my whole iTunes library on my Android device, it also has a built in FM radio and can stream any radio/internet station you would want to play as well as streaming video (even Flash sites).

Comment

I have 2 of them with me, blackberry 9700 and samsung galaxy s vibrant from bell, I like samsung far better than blackberry.
                        Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by jstock View Post
                          I have an iPhone 4. If you ever look into your hands and one is holding a phone and the other is holding an iPod and you ever ask yourself "why can't it just be one", then that's the way to go.
                          Every smartphone does the exact same thing, not just an iPhone. My wife has her entire music collection and a ton of video on her Samsung. She has an iPod but doesn't use it anymore. Android and WP7 (Windows Phone) have "music player" as a basic function, and do it well, without the awfulness of iTunes. Zune for WP7 is a superior program by virtually every imaginable metric.
                          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Denizen, have you considered Android? There are several reasons why you should go with one versus a Blackberry or an iPhone.

1. Variety. Unlike Apple, Android doesn't dictate what they think consumers want. There are models released on the Android platform practically every month. Not even Blackberry comes out with that many new models.

2. Supports both Flash and HTML 5. iPhones and Blackberries do not support Flash, which is unfortunate considering that Youtube, several games, etc. all still use Flash.

3. Sure the iPhone has that app store with over 300,000 apps. Most of these apps are duplicates (eg. fart applications). Several go unused and none of them are monitored by Apple. So you may get lucky and get a fantastic app, but chances are better that you end up with garbage. But if the application store still tickles your fancy, the Android market supports over 135,000 applications and is still growing.

4. Google supports Android. Meaning that you'll be able to download Google Maps for free.

5. True multitasking. You can have several applications running at once in the background.

6. Customization though widgets, wallpapers, etc.

7. Most phones come with their own operating system that complements and even enhances the Android experience. Eg, HTC Sense.

8. Expandable memory up to 32GB through microSD. iPhone only comes in three sizes (8GB, 16GB, 32GB). That's it. So if you're looking for less or more memory, Android is much more flexible.

9. Cost. Android phones are much more cost effective than the iPhone.

10. Repair and warranty. With iPhones, the only place that can actually help you out when the phone starts breaking down is the Apple store. Not even your carrier can help you out with more complex issues. You have to book an appointment with one of their geniuses, etc, etc. You can go straight tp your carrier with any problems with an Android phone.

11. Apple really messed around with reception. Death grip is still kicking around.

11. If you're really after the touch screen though, you have to be more careful with them. They're more fragile no matter which one you go with.

Here's some good Android phones from some of the carriers:

Telus- HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
                            Bell- HTC Desire Z
                            Koodo- LG Optimus One (coming in March). Good if you don't want a contract but still want good coverage.
                            Last edited by lpasternak1; 17-02-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lpasternak1 View Post
                              10. Repair and warranty. With iPhones, the only place that can actually help you out when the phone starts breaking down is the Apple store. Not even your carrier can help you out with more complex issues. You have to book an appointment with one of their geniuses, etc, etc. You can go straight tp your carrier with any problems with an Android phone.
                              I totally disagree with this one. You can return an Apple to the place you purchased it from / carrier, just like an Android or Blackberry, and you will get that type of service (maybe replacement if new enough, or send away to be repaired).

But with an Apple (and no, I don't have one and aren't a fanboy, but a friend does), you can take it to Apple store and 9/10 they fix it on the spot in about 20 minutes. The Apple store service, IMO, is amazing, it is one of the only things that would lean me towards an Apple.

Comment

Working...
                              X