that quick clip of Jobs is terrible... what i got from that:

- i can set my own wallpaper
    - i can turn the ipad around and read it up or down
    - i can use the internetz

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by RTA View Post
      Originally posted by Gemini View Post
      I think the prices are going to vary depending on how many applications you want. According to the 12 o'clock news the Canadian prices will range from $750 to $1,000.
      It maybe best to wait until the prices drop or other companies come out with their own versions. Having a C.D. drive does make it a better buy than a netbook.
      From what I understood, it is running the same OS as the IPod Touch and the iPhone, and runs the same apps. $750-$1000 does sound right, though.

I really don't see the optical drive alone being the netbook killer, though, let alone a big selling point for a "connected" device. I don't actually remember anyone mentioning that it had an optical drive?
      I am sure I seen a picture with a CD partially inserted in the ipad.
      They were talking about it on CNN last night. Speculating on what it was like. Maybe I am mistaken. Maybe they speculated wrong.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

In any event, optical disks, at least as far as computer media are concerned, really seem to be going the way of the floppy disk. They will probably still linger around for far too long, much like the floppy disk did, but I suspect CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs (and the lesser used BD-ROMs) will give way to technology that grows exponentially in capacity (with faster times to market than optical technologies) - USB jump drives, SD/Mini-SD/Micro-SD cards, etc. - or a more connected technology (much like online stores - think Steam, iTunes, etc.). With this in mind, I see the exclusion of optical drives in many new devices as the beginning to this end.

The same likely won't be true for video media, though I actually wouldn't be surprised to see mainstream releases moving to more flexible media in the near future if the industry ever smartens up to the realities of technology instead of simply trying to fight an endless battle with piracy (and fair use in the process).
        Last edited by RTA; 27-01-2010, 02:40 PM.
        Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

I use CDs still for backing up (although I do have an external hard drive too), and if CDs really disappeared, I could adjust to SD or more external HDs.

For people with iphones and laptops they might as well just go with them until they need replacing. Then maybe the ipad will be an option. It would be nice to see one in action thought.
          I don't think these will replace or even come close to laptops or desktops. This seems like a machine okay or good for casual use like web browsing, some games, e-mail, etc. But for more hands on and intense computer usage, along with storage, regular computers will still rule due to their size. The screens are much bigger and you don't feel so crammed in.
          ----

Comment

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/
            Here is the features it has.

Comment

I don't see the iBook thing catching on either. I think books are still one of the greatest examples of culture lag. They could have been one of the first 100% digital mediums, but people prefer a real book, real bookstore. Still, it's competition with Kindle and eReader (both of which I think will be more popular, but still not enough to eclipse real books yet).
              ----

Comment

Originally posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
                I use CDs still for backing up (although I do have an external hard drive too), and if CDs really disappeared, I could adjust to SD or more external HDs.

For people with iphones and laptops they might as well just go with them until they need replacing. Then maybe the ipad will be an option. It would be nice to see one in action thought.
                I don't think these will replace or even come close to laptops or desktops. This seems like a machine okay or good for casual use like web browsing, some games, e-mail, etc. But for more hands on and intense computer usage, along with storage, regular computers will still rule due to their size. The screens are much bigger and you don't feel so crammed in.
                I agree. I would far rather look at a large screen than a small one.
                For people who travel alot or need to be close to a computer at all times the ipad is a good option. It does look pretty smart.

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmm

Is it me or is anybody else kinda creeped out by this company?
                  Sorta that same feeling you get when you ponder the possibility of world wide domination of an elecrtomeglamainac!
                  Like "i-robot" or something equally as disturbing.
                  (I own an Ipod and an Iphone)

Comment

Meh... no camera, no SD slot, no USB slot, no HDMI slot, you'll need cables for everything, no Adobe flash support.

In short an underwhelming product.

Comment

I don't see the iBook thing catching on either. I think books are still one of the greatest examples of culture lag. They could have been one of the first 100% digital mediums, but people prefer a real book, real bookstore. Still, it's competition with Kindle and eReader (both of which I think will be more popular, but still not enough to eclipse real books yet).
                      I have a Kindle and I must say I realy enjoy it. Most of the books I have downloaded onto it are not books with pictures so I can not comment on them.
                      Apparently Kindle was one of the most asked for and bought Christmas items this year.

Comment

Which is really part of the problem with a device like this - with "Apple pricing" this device is really a novelty item, not a realistic competitor to any existing similar product be it a laptop, netbook, tablet PC, eReader, or even an iPod Touch. It is trying to be all of these things, yet so far doesn't appear to replace any of them completely, and is more than likely to be priced higher than all of them.
                        Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Originally posted by sundance View Post
                          Meh..., no SD slot,
                          If true, that would bug me a bit, as wouldn't be able to easily get video from digital camcorder or camera. I guess that is how they have got the pricing "reasonable", by removing things that most people expect.

Comment

I have a Kindle and I must say I realy enjoy it. Most of the books I have downloaded onto it are not books with pictures so I can not comment on them.
                            Apparently Kindle was one of the most asked for and bought Christmas items this year.
                            Not denying it's popularity/success, but I still notice people (myself included) still like their real books a lot. I haven't seen one Kindle in public, but seen many real books all over the place. Maybe in 5 years with tech improvements it could begin to. But this is all a prediction, the future is uncertain.
                            ----

Comment

I do bet that it would be much better once it is cracked. Interested to see how long it takes before it does get cracked.
                              youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                              facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

This product failed on every count:

-No Flash support
                                -No SD slot
                                -No camera
                                -No OneNote-type program for students
                                -No full office program

The biggest potential markets for this product are students and business, and it offers nothing for either, and limits the uses for casual users, who won't want to pack around something so large.

People will line up on day 1, and then you'll never see it again, unless some amazing software is release in the very near term.
                                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Working...
                                X