630 CHED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 630 CHED

I remember when 630 CHED was the best AM music station in Edmonton up until 91, then it became a talk radio station and the ***** programmer who decided that is now out here with Global! I worked at the Highway Motor Inn back then as the Sous Chef and Dave who worked with me on the night shift came into work; turned on his radio (he had the tuning knob removed so no one could change the station)! He looked at me and said "Bill, what the heck"?, 'Where's the music"?? I told him that CHED was now all talk radio so he swore and tride to find the knob so he could change the channel to get some music!!

Re: 630 CHED

So, what's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by nikond
      I remember when 630 CHED was the best AM music station in Edmonton up until 91, then it became a talk radio station and the ***** programmer who decided that is now out here with Global! I worked at the Highway Motor Inn back then as the Sous Chef and Dave who worked with me on the night shift came into work; turned on his radio (he had the tuning knob removed so no one could change the station)! He looked at me and said "Bill, what the heck"?, 'Where's the music"?? I told him that CHED was now all talk radio so he swore and tride to find the knob so he could change the channel to get some music!!
      ^ I remember that too!

Welcome to C2E!

Comment

i remember too! think power 92 became the sister station.

I still enjoy 630 cheds Paul Harvey 'and that is the rest of the story" ,

Comment

Those are still on? I didn't know that!

I used to love Paul Harvey's rest of the story...

Comment

Originally posted by dwells
            So, what's your point?
            "Good morning! Good morning! It's a Wes Montgomery morning!
            Here to wake you in time, and get you up with a smile! "

(a few minutes later..)

Snort-Snort-Snort!..Sna-snort-snort-snort-SNORT!!!

Comment

It was
              Good morning, good morning, it's a Wes Montgomery morning,
              here to wake you with a smile, and get you up on time
              and the Golden Wheel
              and Miles for Millions
              and Bruce Bowie, Chuck Chandler

oh, and Chickenman! He's everywhere, he's everywhere!
              Yay, summertime!

Comment

I used to like 630 Ched until they started airing (the worlds worst) commercials every 3-4 minutes. I can't stand listening to it anymore - hearing Tony Romas and Alarm Force commercials blasting all the time really turned me off.

The only guy I try to listen to is Charles Addler.

Other than that - It's CBC on 740 or 93.9 - I find they report more things that are going on in the city than any other station.. plus, no commercials

Too. Many. Commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Foster
                  ...The only guy I try to listen to is Charles Addler.
                  from good old Winnipeg no less.

and then there is their daily Calgary "ooooopen liiiiiiiine".

or a movie/tv/entertainment critic from Vancouver.

or a home renovation advice from Vancouver as well.

or those "old radio shows" from days gone by (geographically neutral but also originating from - wait for it - Vancouver.

or those overnight broadcasts from somewhere strange wherever they originate from.

or harold's investment advice on purchasing gold and collector plates that probably originates from that same murky place.

or leslie's interminable paid commercials (which do at least originate from here).

and good old bob - he'll say the same thing on a local tv affiliate for anyone who cares.

nothing like a good strong local broadcaster.

at least cbc's mandate is to present a national viewpoint (or viewpoints) and they don't hide it. and they manage to it reasonably well while still being a strong regional and local source of real information.

630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?
                  "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

"630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?"

Yes, I'd say.

Aside from a few good programs (Yes, the old radio shows do interest this 25 year old); the likes of Rutherford, Primeau (sp) and Hall just send cold shivers down my spine... eucchhhh....

I like how CBC gives a great international perspective; but even the small things, like "mr. so and so performing at location X jazz bar tonight"

Comment

Originally posted by microbus
                      It was
                      Good morning, good morning, it's a Wes Montgomery morning,
                      here to wake you with a smile, and get you up on time
                      and the Golden Wheel
                      and Miles for Millions
                      and Bruce Bowie, Chuck Chandler

oh, and Chickenman! He's everywhere, he's everywhere!
                      Bob McCord was alway my favorite!! 3 to 6 in the afternoon.

He was always able to rearrange a few of those annoying commercials!

Comment

CHED was that annoying kiddie pop music station when I was growing up. When K-97 came along and started promoting concerts in competition with CHED, our line was that you could tell a K-97 concert from a CHED concert because the CHED concert had 10,000 little kids.

Then it changed to an AM rock station for a little while before they grabbed just about everyone from CJCA after CJCA had changed to an American style talk radio format.

Some of their "highlights" was a sticker that said "Drive Decent" and the time a couple of DJs set up a stunt where someone got into the studio and shot them while on the air. Never heard it but it got the station into a bit of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor
                          630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?
                          I call it RedNeck Radio

Comment

I do give CHED credit for having the best local news coverage in radio. Two decades ago CJCA, CHQT, CFRN, and even K-97 had a dedicated news department for their radio stations. Today there is only CHED and CBC Radio One.

If CHED can do away with the extreme right-wing radio hosts I'll probably listen to the station more often. No I do not want to see more left-wing bias, I just want to hear a more neutral tone without the usual left versus right wing bickering that is prominent on the Rutherford and Adler programs. It would also be nice if the Primeau Show actually had some interesting guests.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Foster
                              "630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?"

Yes, I'd say.

Aside from a few good programs (Yes, the old radio shows do interest this 25 year old); the likes of Rutherford, Primeau (sp) and Hall just send cold shivers down my spine... eucchhhh....

I like how CBC gives a great international perspective; but even the small things, like "mr. so and so performing at location X jazz bar tonight"
                              I'm 23 and those old radio shows have been my go to bed time radio noise for as long as I can remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X