630 CHED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ I've always said the VFTC was inner city.
    Our mayor said it was part of a growing downtown... CHED is just following his lead...
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2008, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I like how they said "East" of downtown.

I'd call it "North", or "Northeast"... but it's not really "East".

Comment

I am enjoying how VFTC is being brought up here. Well played.

Comment

I heard those shots too. But then I live only 6 or 7 blocks away *shocked look*
          Yay, summertime!

Comment

Regardless if 112 Ave/95 St is considered downtown or not, playing the "downtown is dangerous" card in this case is stupid.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by microbus View Post
              I heard those shots too. But then I live only 6 or 7 blocks away *shocked look*
              "6 or 7" blocks away, huh?

I see some holes in your alibi. I'm turning you in!

Comment

There always seems to be lots of confusion about what's downtown, inner city etc. here in Edmonton. I drew this handy little map for a customer in Vancouver:

Red= downtown
                yellow = CBD
                blue = government
                grey = innercity

Back to the topic at hand, really the lazy CHED reporter (who probably lives nowhere near downtown) just spun up the easiest, most inflammatory headline he could. Too bad it happened in my 'hood... If the neighbors knew it was a drug house they should have done something about it long before shots were fired in our neighborhood.
                Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

I actually live REALLY close to 95th St and 112th Ave (the gunfire woke me up and scared the crap outta me), but I don't recall seeing any obvious homes that fit that address that look too dodgy from the outside. I didn't suspect anything, myself, anyway.

Comment

^ I can't think of an obvious drug house there either. (I'm a little further away but still know the area) That block has cleaned up a lot since slumlord, rip-off artist and serial scumbag Carmen Pervez went to jail for fraud and his three properties close there were bulldozed.

Mr. Oilers, if you get the adress let me know & I can mobilize some troops & maybe sic the CAP folks on the landlord & make his or her life a little unpleasant until they correct the situation.
                    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
                      really the lazy CHED reporter (who probably lives nowhere near downtown) just spun up the easiest, most inflammatory headline he could.

Kinda like they do whenever something happens in SE Edmonton and they automatically tag it with "Millwoods". Cheap and easy headlines, so sad to see and yet so common
                      Last edited by RichardS; 01-07-2008, 08:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags for formatting
                      Edmontonian and proud of it!

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
                        I am enjoying how VFTC is being brought up here. Well played.
                        I was really just making a point that people define downtown to suit their personal preferences. Oliver for example, often gets included, but the North edge up to 107 avenue, which is just as close, often does not. I think a lot of that has to do with bias regarding the relative attractiveness of the neighborhoods.

IMO neither Oliver or much of the north edge is part of downtown. Maybe inner city neighborhoods they are. But unless there is some uniformity as to what downtown is, I don't think we should be "upset" when someone defines it differently to what we imagine it to be.
                        Last edited by moahunter; 30-06-2008, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Based on 240GLT's map, I'm sure the fine folk in Windsor Park were surprised to find out that they now live in the inner city!
                          Edmontonian and proud of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Edmontonfan View Post
                            Based on 240GLT's map, I'm sure the fine folk in Windsor Park were surprised to find out that they now live in the inner city!
                            WHAT???? I live in the inner city now? Time to move... haha, just kidding. If Windsor Park is what inner city is made of, I'm happy to be considered an inner city resident.

Comment

What a stupid, stupid headline. If a headline is to grab a reader's attention, it sure did. But it is misleading. Just by reading the headline, the perception is there were gunshots in the downtown core. But actually the gunplay is more near Commonwealth than City Hall.

Not only that, but the headline makes it seem like gun crime is a common occurrence in downtown.

It is time for Bob Layton to step aside. Edmonton has outgrown him. The city cannot move forward with Bob's antiquated views invading the airwaves.

Comment

Stupid headline, stupid radio station, stupid listeners.

Most of the staff are well past their prime (some should have been turned into glue years ago).

Do what I do, try not to listen (unless it's the 1 minute hardly audible traffic report)
                                Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

Working...
                                X