• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanC
    Originally posted by Kevin_Foster
    "630 ched - radio's version of the edmonton sun?"

Yes, I'd say.

Aside from a few good programs (Yes, the old radio shows do interest this 25 year old); the likes of Rutherford, Primeau (sp) and Hall just send cold shivers down my spine... eucchhhh....

I like how CBC gives a great international perspective; but even the small things, like "mr. so and so performing at location X jazz bar tonight"
    I'm 23 and those old radio shows have been my go to bed time radio noise for as long as I can remember.
    i stand to be corrected by better informed trivia buffs but "those old radio shows" (at least in the beginning and i'm pretty sure to this day) were bootleg tapes which explains the "quality" and characteristics of the sound as well as the inclusion of the original commercials (although i sometimes wonder about the the legality of airing the cigarette ones) of Jack Cullen (CKNW in Vancouver). I think it was Jack who was also responsible for their accumulation of one of the largest vinyl collections anywhere - at one time the station had to acquire outside storage to accomodate it. some of us who haven't been 23 for too long have heard just about every one of those shows over the years - it's nice to know they're still being discovered.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

In the early days of collecting OTR (Old Time Radio) there were a few dealers who assembled collections on reel to reel tape, recorded 1/4 track at 3 3/4 ips. These reels were often copied and traded amongst fans of the shows, but that caused quality problems due to the fact that for each new generation the quality would deteriorate. That's a simple fact of analog recording. Also, if someone along the trading line had miss-alligned heads on their machine the resulting copies would get crosstalk where you could hear the adjacent track at a reduced level.

A lot of dealers also sold cassette tapes. At one time there was a club in Edmonton who collected and traded reels. I was a member.
      Another member was the late Carman Madu who built quite a collection, and when he became disabled due to multiple sclerosis he sold his collection to the outfit that does "Those Old Radio Shows."

That particular program really is terrible. If you want to hear how an old radio program should be done, log into "Those Were The Days" on Saturday afternoons at 1:00 pm on www.wdcb.org

Collecting has now entered the digital age with both mp3s and audio cds. Thousands of episodes are available on Usenet at
      alt.binaries.sound.radio.oldtime
      alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime
      and
      alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime.highspeed

Beware of collections on ebay, as they have simply been downloaded from usenet, and there are a lot of errors and mistitled and misdated episodes in
      those cds. Those guys are not dealers or collectors, but merely someone who has found a way to make a few bucks.

A couple of websites of interest:
      My Unofficial Fibber McGee and Molly Home Page
      www.compusmart.ab.ca/agirard/fibber/79.htm

and for info on the absolute best source of pristine OTR on audio CDs Visit the First Generation Radio Archives at http://radioarchives.org/
      and sign up for a free, no-cost, no-obligation membership. On the membership page, when you come to the box labelled "Referral Code," enter the word FIBBER
      Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Originally posted by glenorarat
        Bob McCord was alway my favorite!! 3 to 6 in the afternoon.

He was always able to rearrange a few of those annoying commercials!
        I was trying to remember his name.... thank you!
        Yay, summertime!

Comment

Radio in the glory days...

Now, it is centralized tripe...
          President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66
            I do give CHED credit for having the best local news coverage in radio. Two decades ago CJCA, CHQT, CFRN, and even K-97 had a dedicated news department for their radio stations. Today there is only CHED and CBC Radio One.

If CHED can do away with the extreme right-wing radio hosts I'll probably listen to the station more often. No I do not want to see more left-wing bias, I just want to hear a more neutral tone without the usual left versus right wing bickering that is prominent on the Rutherford and Adler programs. It would also be nice if the Primeau Show actually had some interesting guests.
            Radio and traffic--it is CHED always. For the "game" whether it is Oilers (love Rod's "Ssssssssccccccooooooorrrrrreeeeee!") or the Esks (miss Farlie and BH is full of B*).

Leslie has some good guests...

Love Michelle Bodin's "The Inside Story"!

Comment

I'm Bob Layton --- and you're not!

Primeau - the so-called Progressive who mostly isn't

Hot dogs with Halsie!!! --- the greatest hair in radio

Comment

I remember when CHED did that terrible trick that someone broke into the station....they got criminal charges laid against them for that......

From what I hear, CHED is still consistently the leading radio station in the area according to the ratings book - certainly not with my help.

Comment

Originally posted by mylilypad
                  I remember when CHED did that terrible trick that someone broke into the station....they got criminal charges laid against them for that....
                  I remember that too. It was an April Fool's Day prank that went bad in 1979. Edmonton City Police happened to be listening when the DJ did that, and they sent out an ambulance and a bunch of squad cars and surrounded the station. If I remember correctly, all the charges were dropped, but the DJ did have to make a public apology for his actions that day.

Comment

I remember a couple other April Fools joke by a CHED DJ...
                    Both were in the early 70s:

They were advising people to wrap their telephone receivers
                    in plastic bags as Edmonton Telephones was going to be
                    blowing the dust out of the phone lines that day.

Just after we went from imperial to metric for temperatures...
                    they were telling parents that we're now officially on metric
                    time, so to make sure they send their kids to school on time.

Yay, summertime!

Comment

Two decades ago CJCA, CHQT, CFRN, and even K-97 had a dedicated news department for their radio stations.
                      I grew up listening to CHQT (not my choice, rather I had to listen to what my parents had tuned to). Back then (IIRC) it was CHQT 1110 (Bob Bradburn?) the Authoratative News Voice.

As far as CJCA goes, we were glued to the radio listening to them on Black Friday.

Regarding CHED radio...before K-97 hit the air waves it was THE top pop station. The weekends were devoted to a different year: this weekend is 1971 - and all the hits of that year were played. EVERYONE had those yellow 630 CHED stickers in their vehicle rear windows.
                      Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

Comment

[quote="soycd"]
                        Two decades ago CJCA,

Regarding CHED radio...before K-97 hit the air waves it was THE top pop station. The weekends were devoted to a different year: this weekend is 1971 - and all the hits of that year were played. EVERYONE had those yellow 630 CHED stickers in their vehicle rear windows.
                        I still have my CHED Charts. Besides the Top 30 of the week, they also had the Top 100 of the year they were featuring.

Comment

Originally posted by microbus
                          I remember a couple other April Fools joke by a CHED DJ...
                          Both were in the early 70s:

They were advising people to wrap their telephone receivers
                          in plastic bags as Edmonton Telephones was going to be
                          blowing the dust out of the phone lines that day.

Just after we went from imperial to metric for temperatures...
                          they were telling parents that we're now officially on metric
                          time, so to make sure they send their kids to school on time.

I remember those!
                          President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I think most of you are missing the point. Ched was the only rock station for years. Yes K97 came in and took over the FM airwaves and rock was then turned over to the FM dial in the late 70's.
                            All the number one DJ's headed for greener pastures and all of them did well.

Radio formatting changed at that time and each radio station did what they had to just to survive the ratings.

Yes, Wes Montgomery and Bob McCord were prominent figures in the industry with Bob starting up Cisn Country and Wes moving on from station to station in search of his calling. It just so happens that he didn't find it until he joined CFCW. Even then his new boss was a well known CHED associate named Al Anderson. Al was also the man that hired Wes on to Mix 96 and at that time it was called something different.

Lets not forget the Forbes boys that got their start at CHED and went on to be very important figures in the radio industry. Their dad was CHED radio for many years and his memory still lives on. Without the great DJ's of CHED radio and the great management behind it, it would never have led this city into some of the greatest stations of all time. So many of these people have won awards in the past few years. It is an honor to have had the great talent in this city that we have had.

And I forgot to mention Bob Layton who was one of the best local news reporters of all time.. The tell it like it is man, is still a hit today. If we could all be heard like he is.

Like I said, most people are missing the point on how radio got started in this city and the devoted people behind the scene that made it all happen.

Comment

Was Eddie Keen on CHED,I liked him. I like listening to the hockey games and that's about it;use to listen in the morning but got sick of hearing Gord Whitehead talking about Marlene and the boys,where the boys played hockey the night before and where (and with whom) he would be golfing.Leslie use to have a good show(a few years back) good guests hot topics then the station seemed to reel her in and toned her down.

Comment

Radio has quite a history in this town. Remember, that radio broadcasting began in 1920, and some people are still alive who were born before radio even existed.

CJCA and CKUA were the earliest stations in Edmonton, followed by CFRN. CJCA was a dominant rock station in the 60's. When CHED first came on the air it was at 1080 on the dial where it remained for a few years before moving to 630.

CKUA is my favourite station. They went on the air in 1927. The record library there is amazing. Simply put, it's huge, and the on-air personalities really know their stuff. How can you go wrong with someone like Lionel Rault or Terry David Mulligan spinning the discs?
                                Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

Working...
                                X