X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    The Journal may have removed the anonmity of people posting but it may also get a slanted view of how people feel about certain articles. Let's face it, a person is more likely going to leave positive comments if they are using their real name. A person who is hopping mad may want to comment but not want their name attached to certain comments. Could be for conflict of interest reasons, fear, ridicule or other reasons.

Not really. Let's use an issue like the new arena debate for an example. People have strong feelings from both sides of the debate (the pro vs. the against building a new arena).

Lot's of people are totally against the funding and Katz asking for more concessions. I'm sure if they are strongly against a new arena they will post their feelings. I've seen the debate on other newsites like Global Edmonton, which also uses facebook.

The main thing is the debate is way, way more civil by using facebook. It's not perfect but it is a huge improvement from the gong show previously.

Also, if anything, people respond more to negative news.
    I haven't noticed any change in the quantity of positive or negative comments by percentage, but definitely a huge reduction in repetitive, frothing at the mouth, knuckledraggery. There's clearly a few phony accounts being used to comment on a lot of articles, but overall the comments have become more coherent and thought out, as commenters (real ones, anyway) can now be judged by their peers.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Top_Dawg figgers that The Sun always has the best headlines.

But today The Journal came out with a beauty:

' City mulls $500,000 option to fix stink in west end '

Could apply to so many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
        Top_Dawg figgers that The Sun always has the best headlines.

But today The Journal came out with a beauty:

' City mulls $500,000 option to fix stink in west end '

Could apply to so many things.
        Probably helps they are functionally the same paper now.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

To your point: How long before the Edmonton Journal and the Edmonton Sun are merged? David Climenhaga

^Also, I appreciated your letter in the Journal, was it last week?

Comment

Originally posted by ajs View Post
            To your point: How long before the Edmonton Journal and the Edmonton Sun are merged? David Climenhaga

^Also, I appreciated your letter in the Journal, was it last week?
            Not me unless it was an article comment on their site. Even then I wasn't in the country last week.

Comment

Could have sworn. Funny, the subject of the letter was something you've commented on in the past.

I was out of town as well and caught up on a whack of Journal's all at once on my return.

Comment

Could have sworn. Funny, the subject of the letter was something you've commented on in the past.

I was out of town as well and caught up on a whack of Journal's all at once on my return.
                Now I'm curious.

Do you have a rough idea of the day? I'd like to know if I have an intellectual doppelgänger. Or if I've been posting in my sleep.

Comment

Now that must have been some painful reading.

Comment

^^I tried to look it up but couldn't pin down a date. Keep your eyes peeled though.

^Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Surprisingly, after reading a variety of dailies all summer The Journal stacks up rather well. Particularly the City Section. Sports continues to be sadly lacking. Improved sports coverage might be an upside to merging with The Sun.

Comment

Working...
                    X