This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TerryH View Post
    It was mentioned that Jasper Ave. goes past 82nd Street up to 77th. It actually went further east, although not across Rat Creek. Parts of it still exist but under new names. It'll take a bit to find those parts.
    I haven't really looked eastward to see how far the name "Jasper Avenue" went but I did trace it to where it went to the west. I was actually more curious about the range roads and township roads that go through the city. One of those township roads was Township Road 530 (or the 14th Baseline). Both Jasper between 121th Street and 101st Street and 101st Avenue east of the river (where it doesn't bend) are on the baseline.

When I went to see how the baseline affected the road to the west, I found that 101st Avenue (from St. George's Crescent to 146th Street), the portion of Summit Drive that runs E/W and Stony Plain Road (where it starts running E/W between 150th and 151st Streets) are all on the baseline. When I checking this out in Land Titles, I noticed that the original subdivision plans on the south side of the road called the baseline "Jasper Avenue". This went on until I reached Plan 2232 HW (registered in 1949) which was a subdivision of the N.E.1/4 Sec.33-52-25-W4M. The western boundary of the plan shows 174th Street (which is now just about in line with the northeast corner of the Superstore).

How much of this (if any) was named Jasper Ave. I can't say.
    Last edited by TerryH; 30-11-2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Following the subdivision plans showing Jasper Avenue to the east, I followed it as far as 36th Street. What the plans showed were that 109th Avenue between where it bends to the north, just west of 75th Street, to 73rd Street, 111th Avenue between 70th Street and 53rd Street, Ada Boulevard between 50th Street and 48th Street and 113th Avenue between 48th Street and 36th Street may have been called "Jasper Avenue". Again, whether they were or not, I can't say.
      Last edited by TerryH; 30-11-2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Thanks to the Henderson's directory of Edmonton, I found that those areas were indeed all called Jasper Avenue.

In the 1940 edition, the easternmost address was 5609 and the westernmost was 14601, with a note that it ran to 150th Street in the Jasper Place subdivision. There was also a note that the portion in Beverley was renamed 113th Avenue.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibl...962.34/44.html (pages 76 to 87 with the notes on page 87).

The 1942 edition dropped the portion west to 150th with no note.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibl...962.36/38.html

The 1947 edition dropped the portion west of 125th Street with no note.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibl...962.41/38.html

In the 1950 edition, the portion east of Rat Creek to the then east city limits was renamed 111th Avenue.

http://peel.library.ualberta.ca/bibl...962.44/28.html (pages 28-39, with the note on page 2.

Unfortunately, I can only assume the areas west of 150th Street were also called Jasper Avenue, as the directory didn't include the suburbs.

Comment

• How is the Chamber of Commerce not the same as a union?

Members of CoC pay dues to have their interests promoted to government.
          Most CoC lobbying activities involve obtaining access to public funds.

Members of public-sector unions pay dues to have their interests promoted to government.
          Most public-sector union lobbying involves obtaining access to public funds, altered working arrangements, etc.

So, if so many Albertan's have problems with the existence of public-sector unions, why do they not have problems with the activities of the CoC?

Comment

• Not even close to the same thing.
            aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

• incomplete post - see 278
              Last edited by kcantor; 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM.
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• I would also note that the primary function of a union is not promoting its interests to government, it's collective bargaining with their employers and managing the collective agreements that are in place. Unions do lobby government but while it's the most publicly visible activity it's the tip of the iceberg in terms of all union activity.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

• Originally posted by KLOC View Post
                  How is the Chamber of Commerce not the same as a union?

Members of public-sector unions pay dues to have their interests promoted to government.
                  Most public-sector union lobbying involves obtaining access to public funds, altered working arrangements, etc.

So, if so many Albertan's have problems with the existence of public-sector unions, why do they not have problems with the activities of the CoC?
                  how is it not the same???? let me count the ways...

the chamber of commerce is a completely voluntary business (not individual/personal) organization in terms of whether it's members pay any "dues" or not. if your business supports the organization's activities you join, you volunteer, you pay - all by choice.

the moment any of the chambers activities take positions you disagree with, you are not bound to support them in public (and are free to disagree with them in public) and you are free to withdraw your volunteer support and your financial support (dues).

the chamber works with government in many areas but as a stakeholder on behalf of its members not either directly or indirectly to "obtain access to public funds" whatever that means.

furthermore, public sector unions do not pay dues to have their interests promoted to government. they collect dues from their members to have their union interests promoted to government and those members have no choice in paying them whether or not their own interests align or agree with the unions' interests on a wide range of issues many of them non-workplace related...

the two are about as similar as our weather today and our weather in august. they're both organizations but that's about it as far as their being the same really extends.

lastly, i don't think saying "many Albertan's have problems with the existence of public-sector unions" is any more accurate than saying that many albertan's have problems with some of the treatment afforded to some of our public sector unions. truth be told, many albertan's probably have a problem with some of the behavior of public-sector unions but probably support them nonetheless and many albertan's probably have a problem with some of the behavior toward public-sector unions.

these are complex issues that are not black and white and a simplistic - and erroneous - comparison between unions and the chamber of commerce doesn't do much to resolve them.
                  Last edited by kcantor; 12-12-2013, 05:02 PM.
                  "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Has a Chamber of Commerce ever gone on strike?
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                      Originally posted by KLOC View Post
                      How is the Chamber of Commerce not the same as a union?

how is it not the same???? let me count the ways...

the chamber of commerce is a completely voluntary business (not individual/personal) organization in terms of whether it's members pay any "dues" or not. if your business supports the organization's activities you join, you volunteer, you pay - all by choice.

the moment any of the chambers activities take positions you disagree with, you are not bound to support them in public (and are free to disagree with them in public) and you are free to withdraw your volunteer support and your financial support (dues).

the chamber works with government in many areas but as a stakeholder on behalf of its members not either directly or indirectly to "obtain access to public funds" whatever that means.

furthermore, public sector unions do not pay dues to have their interests promoted to government. they collect dues from their members to have their union interests promoted to government and those members have no choice in paying them whether or not their own interests align or agree with the unions' interests on a wide range of issues many of them non-workplace related...

the two are about as similar as our weather today and our weather in august. they're both organizations but that's about it as far as their being the same really extends.

lastly, i don't think saying "many Albertan's have problems with the existence of public-sector unions" is any more accurate than saying that many albertan's have problems with some of the treatment afforded to some of our public sector unions. truth be told, many albertan's probably have a problem with some of the behavior of public-sector unions but probably support them nonetheless and many albertan's probably have a problem with some of the behavior toward public-sector unions.

these are complex issues that are not black and white and a simplistic - and erroneous - comparison between unions and the chamber of commerce doesn't do much to resolve them.
                      Gotta say ... I agree with you. The question I posed to this thread was posed - not my me - to me at a dinner gathering of friends and acquaintances who own businesses operating in Alberta and across Canada. I have no personal experience with either the CoC or with unions; private or public as my firm operates entirely within the realm of private enterprise outside of North America. Therefor, I had little to offer as input, but was surprised that the question begat a healthy discussion with about 1/2 the group making comments along the lines of "it's a club, they take names, it is in your interests to be in the club."

Figured I'd pose the question nonetheless.

Comment

• Thought this was funny, especially the uproar. I wonder if someone is now reconsidering their Canadian citizenship.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/canada-cra...warn-1.1654164

What's even funnier is that the UK once banned the import of Saskatoons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...-so-silly.html

Comment

• ^ I'm starting to see why Marks & Spencer closed here. My mother shopped there all the time.
                          “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by TerryH View Post
                            Thought this was funny, especially the uproar. I wonder if someone is now reconsidering their Canadian citizenship.

This is an outrage I tell you, a bloody outrage!!!

How the hell is a big strapping lad like myself supposed to live on just pierogies and poontang, or whatever it is that ungodly concoction of cheese, fries and gravy is called?

...An outrage I tell you!!!
                            "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

• ....and while the food police sweat and fret at the border over jars of Marmite a drug cartel manages to slip by with 12,000 cases of sardines (supposedly) filled with grade a cocaine.
                              Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat View Post
                                Originally posted by TerryH View Post
                                Thought this was funny, especially the uproar. I wonder if someone is now reconsidering their Canadian citizenship.

This is an outrage I tell you, a bloody outrage!!!

How the hell is a big strapping lad like myself supposed to live on just pierogies and poontang, or whatever it is that ungodly concoction of cheese, fries and gravy is called?

...An outrage I tell you!!!
                                You can always make your own Saskatooon perogies. Sounds tasty.

http://minoupitou.blogspot.ca/2011/0...-perogies.html

Or go buy a jar of yeast and use it as a condiment/topping.

Comment

Working...
                                X