This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The All Purpose Thread

Ever have those moments during the day when a question pops in your head and you are dying to know the answer?

Or something kind of bugs you but it's not really a rant?

Or you want to tell the whole world about an insignificant aspect of your life?

Welcome to the All Purpose Thread.....

I like this idea!
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Why is it when someone with an accent sings, they don't have that accent anymore?

Paul McCartney and Elton John have British accents but when they sing they lose the accent.

Why?

Comment

I'm not a linguist, but depending on the singer and the song, accents definitely can come across in song. Look no further than Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Oasis, the Verve and other brit rock bands.

Comment

Many British singers and groups of the '60s were influenced by the blues, which originated in the southern US, specifically among blacks. I always assumed that's why the British singers (not to mention non-southern white Americans) attempted to sing with that accent.
          Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with the diaphragm or whether the person sings through his nose?

It's not just a British phenomenon. Listen to Celine Dion.

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
              Why is it when someone with an accent sings, they don't have that accent anymore?
              This question has plagued me since I can remember, yet a good answer remains elusive.

Comment

Why are wieners and beans called wieners and beans?
                Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

^ Great idea!

Why is it that people who have speech impediments do not stutter when they sing for example Mel Tillis.

Comment

I've always assumed they sang without English accents for commercial reasons - the American audience would be more accepting of them. At least, that's what it was at first. Now, they've done it so long that's just the way they sing.

But I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
                      Maybe it has something to do with the diaphragm or whether the person sings through his nose?

It's not just a British phenomenon. Listen to Celine Dion.
                      Do I have to ?
                      I want to know why does a Volkswagen definitely float,but will not float indefinitely. BTW I know the Caramilk secret.
                      Last edited by Barry N; 13-08-2008, 02:36 PM.
                      Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

What are those large red and white balls for on power lines?

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Bear View Post
                          A few quick google searches yielded that the balls are there to alert low-flying aircraft, such as helicopters and airplanes, that there are utility lines to avoid.

Not sure why they are different colors. Maybe just to make it clear that they are artificial obsticles rather than natural features.
                          Last edited by Barry N; 13-08-2008, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I've always assumed they sang without English accents for commercial reasons - the American audience would be more accepting of them. At least, that's what it was at first. Now, they've done it so long that's just the way they sing.

But I could be wrong.
                            Mrs Brown, you've got a lovely daughter.....
                            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry N View Post
                              A few quick google searches yielded that the balls are there to alert low-flying aircraft, such as helicopters and airplanes, that there are utility lines to avoid.

Not sure why they are different colors. Maybe just to make it clear that they are artificial obsticles rather than natural features.
                              Look at all aviation structures, painted red and white. The colors most noticeable...
                              President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Working...
                              X