Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Feds give Alberta the nuclear power monopoly over Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree. The shale would wind down first and fast, so given our population, we are lucky to have the existing plants that we do. The owners can even go bankrupt and the assets in bankruptcy protection can continue production and even undercut the nearest marginally profitable shale producers.

However, we can’t expect production to last as long as the resource. Just like coal, a whole lot of recoverable oil and gas will probably have to be left in the ground. So what options do we have to replace the economic benefit that previous capital investment in oil sands plant construction and then the actual resource exportation brought to the province?

Forty years of diversification efforts did little. Much of the diversification attained related to oil and gas related activities? Assuming that after forty years the private sector has shown itself incapable of diversifying we aren’t left with many options.

Massive depopulation of the province* would be a natural but somewhat undesirable consequence. So where and how do we attain some form of export alternative? Or do we seek to build up the heritage fund as a source of investment gains (tried and failed).

* note that a critic on this thread no longer lives in Alberta. Maybe literally a “smart move”. Take the education and run!

Moreover, I doubt we can expect any of Alberta’s expats to come up with any ideas on export diversification - because they already gave up on Alberta.
    Last edited by KC; 07-09-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Canada also needs some massive strategic reserves. (Could ship by train out east or sell to the world in a protracted crisis. If a war destroyed a lot of production and delays went over 90-days the US would demand oil from us proportionate to what we need for ourselves - or something like that per free trade agreements )

We have the underground storage available in the form of drained conventional oil pools. We could take our surplus / stranded oil sands oil and petrochemical feedstocks and pump them into our old conventional oil wells.

The government of Canada could pay Alberta a storage fee.

We could use zero emission nuclear to power the oil sands plants and distribution systems as well as power the pumps for the storage facilities.

Saudi oil attacks: Why does the US hide oil underground? - BBC News

The war lasted just three weeks in October that year. But the embargo - which also targeted other countries - lasted until March 1974, causing prices to quadruple worldwide...

“Each site has several man-made salt caverns up to a kilometre (3,300ft) underground where the oil is stored. This is far cheaper than keeping it in tanks above ground, and safer - the chemical composition of the salt and the geological pressure prevents any oil from leaking out.

The largest site at Bryan Mound near Freeport has a storage capacity equivalent to 254 million barrels of oil.

The reserve's website says that on 13 September there were 644.8 million barrels of oil held in these caves.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49720026
      Since we also have salt caverns (some used for natural gas I believe) and Saskatchewan has potash caverns maybe there’s opportunity to put nuclear way underground. ( I’d use these caverns for other strategic storage or server farms etc.
      Last edited by KC; 17-09-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

KC wrote
        * note that a critic on this thread no longer lives in Alberta. Maybe literally a “smart move”. Take the education and run!
        Yeah, I was working for years before I left school and wore steel toed boots every day for 30 years before I left.

Ever run in steel toed boots?

Kc, quit attempting the character assassination tactic when you feel threatened.
        Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 17-09-2019, 10:05 AM.
        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

^^ Interesting concept about Canada having it's own strategic petroleum reserves. Looks like we do not. Also, since people would die in the cold winters, a reserve for natural gas should exist. In the new USMCA I wonder if this was addressed, ie, during an emergency Canada can keep more of our resources. Either way, it sounds like we don't have the pipelines to move it all the way east.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...m-Reserve.html

Comment

Working...
          X