Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joint Calgary / Edmonton / Whistler Winter Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by christopherj View Post
    Could we compare to something more recent, relevant and comparable - such as 2010 Vancouver?
    2010 broke even on an operational basis.
    That doesn't include the 3Bil in capital costs to expand the convention centre and build the Canada Line to the airport. They argue those were capital investments that the city would have had to make at some point anyways.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...says-1.2695994

Comment

That's really the only argument you can make in favor of the Olympics financially, is that the host city can siphon off enough money from the provincial and federal governments to make it worthwhile. Otherwise, it's just a giant money trough for the mercenaries at the IOC to feed at.

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
        No,no no, no,

and NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        what's the world coming to - first i ended up agreeing completely with one of moa's posts and now i find myself agreeing completely with one of yours, both in the same week. next thing you know i'll be agreeing with IanO..
        Last edited by kcantor; 23-11-2017, 05:03 PM.
        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
          Originally posted by Replacement View Post
          No,no no, no,

and NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          what's the world coming to - first i ended up agreeing completely with one of moa's posts and now i find myself agreeing completely with one of yours, both in the same week. next thing you know i'll be agreeing with IanO..
          I know some events are often not held in the host city, but nearby like skiing, but this seems like a stretch. Whistler, really? Why not throw in Toronto for something and try get some $ from Ontario too and make it three provinces?

Comment

Why Whistler with Banff, Lake Louise, Canmore, etc etc etc nearby?
            Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Maybe after kooky Kim Jong-un nukes out the Seoul games they won't have anymore.
              Last edited by Drumbones; 25-11-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The Olympics sure did wonders for Greece and Brazil. The Olympics are the most vulgar form of misallocated capital out there. My friend dragged me to the world track and field championships in 2001...I was wondering why all the girls/ladies who eat perfect diets and train every day had acne scars all over their shoulders?
                The Olympics are running out of suckers, whenever an enlightened city wants to host this spectacle, most intelligent people email their politicians and voice their opposition...and I will be one of them.

Comment

You are right, and I think the IOC will realize that too.

Comment

But, but... how is Calgary going to get Canada to pay for their infrastructure?
                    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

They only mention hosting the ski jump in Whistler as they are very expensive to build and get little use after the games. Seems reasonable no(not commenting on hosting just using old venues)?

Comment

Why can't the IOC say these are the jumps we have in Calgary so we will use them and these are the jumps we will be making. Do some work on the jumps we have and adjust the jumping to make due with what we have. All athletes and countries will be on the same playing field. Why does it always have to be exactly this or exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
                          Why Whistler with Banff, Lake Louise, Canmore, etc etc etc nearby?
                          probably so they can try and suck in money from another province. maybe while they’re at it they should look at spreading out some of the cross country events to regina and saskatoon and winnipeg and pull in three more cities and two more provincial governments to send money to calgary...
                          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Calgary has become a panhandler.
                            Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                              Why not?

"The final tally of the cost for the Olympics was $1.6bn, a more than 13-fold increase, including at least $1.1bn for the stadium alone. In popular lore, the Big O had officially become the Big Owe. When all was said and done, the city was left with debt that took 30 years to pay off."

The 40-year hangover: how the 1976 Olympics nearly broke Montreal
                              The Montreal Olympics left the city with a C$1.6bn debt, a string of corruption scandals, and a creeping sense of economic and social decline. Forty years on, how did the city survive?
                              https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ontreal-canada

After clinching the 1976 Olympics, the mayor of Montreal at the time, Jean Drapeau, boasted the Games would be the first auto-financed Olympics.
                              "The Montreal Olympics can no more have a deficit, than a man can have a baby," he said, a prediction that would haunt him, as construction costs ballooned and sent the final price tag into the stratosphere.

Comment

Good find... lol
                                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Working...
                                X