Brexit - the day the Earth stood still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brexit - the day the Earth stood still

Thoughts, opinions on Britain exiting the EU?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yeah: don't let uninformed idiots decide the fate of your country. There's a reason we elect (presumably) smart people that understand these things.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Sounds like there's one helluva hangover coming...
      Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

Short term: London loses tens of thousands of finance jobs as the big institutions move their offices. This is already underway.

Medium term: Scotland leaves. Northern Ireland reunifies with Ireland (this one is dicey).

Long term: Honestly not sure.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
          Yeah: don't let uninformed idiots decide the fate of your country. There's a reason we elect (presumably) smart people that understand these things.
          Idiots should have their say as well . And when you let the elected decide things for you that's when tyranny begins. I think the vote was the best thing they could do let the people decide because remember the people are the goverment the ones we elect should only be our voice. These so called smart people run countries around the world and believe me look around they suck. The people of Venezeula allowed the smart people to run their country and now they're eating their pets.
          Last edited by buildthemhigh; 26-06-2016, 03:12 PM.
          live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Comment

Simple referenda questions on incredibly complex issues like this make little sense. Most people didn't know what it was they were voting for or against. Add to that that many of the Leave campaigns claims were outright lies and you have a recipe for a decision nobody on either side is happy with. Even Boris seems unhappy. I think he was hoping for a narrow Remain win that would give him the leadership of the Conservatives but not leave him with the mess he's going to get now.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Great Britian was doing just fine before joining the EU they will be just fine after. You want to join a North American union and have Mexico and Usa dictate to us . I think they did the right thing you're never going to make 100% of the people happy all the time. And goverments left to run amok create the "complex issues and problems " My Family was in politics I know the game quite well. And what you're hearing take with a grain of salt many elite are pushing the oh no sky is falling right now.
              live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                Simple referenda questions on incredibly complex issues like this make little sense. Most people didn't know what it was they were voting for or against.
                It's exactly that type of patronizing clap trap that people voted against. The EU makes no sense, I believe in free trade but I don't believe in a union of northern and Southern Europe
                with technocrat elites making the rules, anymore than I would if we had a union with the US, Mexico and South America. The same thing would happen, our money would go to prop up countries where people choose not to work as hard, and to retire sooner. IMO the EU will implode now, nexit, frexit, it's all coming, the resentment in struggling economies in this union has been building for a while. The immigration crisis mismanagement by Merkel just pushed it over the edge sooner than expected, it was inevitable though.
                Last edited by moahunter; 26-06-2016, 04:34 PM.

Comment

wait and see in a matter of months to what will happen to EU because 3 or 4 countries have considering about leaving EU.
                  Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

People don't understand that the world economy is already integrated. It's too late to change. Every time you use Amazon to order something from outside the country, every time you buy something from a place like Walmart, every time you buy a tropical fruit, every time you put money into a financial institution, and so on and so on. Unless you make a concerted effort to buy local, chances are your purchase involves some other country in some way. Withdrawing from the EU will only make things more difficult for obtaining goods and services and for the UK to compete internationally, which is not an option these days.
                    Last edited by River Valley Green; 26-06-2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                      Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                      Simple referenda questions on incredibly complex issues like this make little sense. Most people didn't know what it was they were voting for or against.
                      It's exactly that type of patronizing clap trap that people voted against. The EU makes no sense, I believe in free trade but I don't believe in a union of northern and Southern Europe
                      with technocrat elites making the rules, anymore than I would if we had a union with the US, Mexico and South America. The same thing would happen, our money would go to prop up countries where people choose not to work as hard, and to retire sooner. IMO the EU will implode now, nexit, frexit, it's all coming, the resentment in struggling economies in this union has been building for a while. The immigration crisis mismanagement by Merkel just pushed it over the edge sooner than expected, it was inevitable though.
                      I agtree 100%. I know people that voted to leave and some to remain. I can see both sides, but what the UK had to put up is unbelievable.
                      Animals are my passion.

Comment

Originally posted by River Valley Green View Post
                        People don't understand that the world economy is already integrated.
                        Not politically though, at least, at a national level. The UK has no more in common with Spain, Portugal, or Greece than we do with Chile. Would you be ok with a political union with Chile? Its interesting, the age split. In 1970's there a referendum on similar issue, and many of the same people who voted against now, voted for then. I can understand young people being more concerned about a vacation job in Spain, than about their tax money going to prop up Spains economy, but as you get a little wiser, you realize its not sustainable. The technocrats have been trying to create a United States of Europe, but that's not what most Europeans want. My relatives in the Netherlands, and friends in Denmark, want a referendum too now, a political union of northern European Germanic nations might have worked (even that is difficult, it would be like us merging with the US), but not one that includes Latin countries that are fundamentally different economically, culturally and politically. Even in Germany there is real fear now, because Germans are tired of carrying the economy of so many basket cases, its going to get worse with the UK, a net donator, gone, they are going to have to pay more, or other countries receive less.
                        Last edited by moahunter; 27-06-2016, 07:14 AM.

Comment

To go with a local parallel, the Brexit debate kind of reminded me of our own airport controversy, in that the competing sides didn't line up ideologically(in both Edmonton and the UK, you had left-wingers and right-wingers on both sides of the argument), but more demographically, especially as regards toi age. In Edmonton, it tended to be the older people supporting the muni, and the younger who favoured closing it, just as in the UK the older people opposed the EU, and the younger people supported it. Plus, both debates kind of tied into questions of civic identity, and how people see themselves in relation to the "outside".

Comment

Farage's first speech at the EP, holy ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7le5GPJpbE

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

John Oliver on Brexit, love this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEALC1z3QG8

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                              X