X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary to announce their own new downtown arena plans

Calgary to announce their own new downtown arena plans
    http://dlvr.it/8rWKJv
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Anything you can do I can do better!!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Good one Komrade.

Sadly though, in this case it will most likely prove to be true.

Comment

And the key sentence goes to (drum roll please):

The question of how the Flames expect its owners and governments to share costs for an arena stands to be a debate that consumes Calgary for years, as it did in Edmonton.

(cymbal crash)
        ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
          And the key sentence goes to (drum roll please):

The question of how the Flames expect its owners and governments to share costs for an arena stands to be a debate that consumes Calgary for years, as it did in Edmonton.

...In tomorrows Calgary Herald

Alberta Government announces $500M in funding available for new Calgary arena.
          Government Minister states "that this new world class facility will place Calgary on the map!"

Now cue
          (cymbal crash)
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

To be built on the flood plain?
            Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

^ You're missing a step, PRT. You need to wait until Prentice pulls a Ralph and lays off all the public sector workers in Edmonton / shuts down half the U of A, destroying our economy. Then a month later they will release a "revised" budget with much mock surprise showing that we didn't really need the austerity.

THEN they will announce a whack of no-strings-attached funding for Calgary.

Comment

They will most likely be going down a long path like Katz took and would expect this to take years until it is finalized (unless they are going to privately fund it).

Comment

Air Canada Place

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                    To be built on the flood plain?
                    If that article is true, no. By the Greyhound, where future "West Village" will be built (next "East Village" / Quarters type project). I think the river trails flooded a little there, but not the land.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilman View Post
                      They will most likely be going down a long path like Katz took and would expect this to take years until it is finalized (unless they are going to privately fund it).
                      I think the latter is far more likely. They'll get (or try for) some funding from the City I would imagine, but for the most part this thing will be announced pretty darn near fully funded and realized. Say what you will about Calgary, but their business community gets things done.

Comment

^sounds from Nenshi's comment, they want some city land (and he will want something of "public benefit"), I wonder if that will be the ask, land in return for them building a community rink or something else to get West Village started - that would be my guess. Sunalta is a pretty run down / industrial type area, so will be interesting to see.
                        Last edited by moahunter; 05-03-2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                          Originally posted by Hilman View Post
                          I think the latter is far more likely. They'll get (or try for) some funding from the City I would imagine, but for the most part this thing will be announced pretty darn near fully funded and realized. Say what you will about Calgary, but their business community gets things done.
                          The fact that they're prepared to announce it in the present economic climate suggests they have their ducks somewhat in a row and are feeling pretty confident in progressing the project.
                          "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

^ Good for them if it is but I don't really care if their city council pays 0% or 100%, it makes no difference to me.

It will be interesting to see the design of the area, its nice to see this actually moving forward as their new arena talks have been going on longer than ours somehow lol (they have been talking it since 2007).
                            Last edited by Hilman; 05-03-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

The main point of interest will be how big a bite an apropriately sized, fully functioning new hall in Calgary takes out of the Edmonton concert/entertainment business?

Numerous acts over the years have stated that Edmonton has been chosen over Calgary due to structural issues with the Saddledome.

And of course soonish Edmonton is about to be lumbered with 2 barns to fill week in week out.... Should be interesting.
                              "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

Working...
                              X