Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ralph60
    replied
    Why is it, that whenever a terrorist attack occurs we hear all this bloviating about how we can't let the attack change us, how we can't profile people, how we mustn't take away their citizenship, blah blah blah, but in the very next instance we hear how we need to immediately change gun laws because of the terrorists?

Leave a comment:

• ralph60
    replied
    By Nevada law, this is a terrorist attack, U.S. federal law requires there to be a political motivation for it to be a terrorist act. Trump has been right every time he's called something terrorism.

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    Amazing that in past attacks in Europe, Trump called them terror attacks before the attackers were identified or their motive established. In this case Trump will not call it terrorism until they know the motive. I guess it depends all upon the color of their skin....

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I am not letting terrorists change my daily habits. I cannot be swayed by their objectives. I am not a pawn.

BTW, Wiki has a 250 year history and great long debate on the definition terrorism including the quote, "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" it also has a photo of President Reagan meeting with Afghan Mujahideen leaders in the Oval Office in 1983

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism
    I remember that Reagan quote well and he got it exactly right, although I bet he didn't quite intend it to be so widely quoted about other conflicts many years later. He also probably didn't intend that the freedom fighters would turn into the terrorists years later either. This is exactly why we need to be careful in getting involved or drawn into conflicts in far away counties half away around the world.

Leave a comment:

• H.L.
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave View Post
    Originally posted by H.L. View Post
    Originally posted by faraz View Post
    I'm just going by what I read and only Replacement has called the LV shooter a terrorist. The rest are still dancing around definitions even though Nevada Law makes it clear what a terrorist is. One person even offered a mental health explanation.
    When you are mentally ill, such as a man killing his whole family, they say they aren't capable of thinking rationally. Islamic radicals think with hate.
    Whether you are hate filled because of all your bad life experiences, or because religion and ideology or maybe some combination of all of it, I don't think any of this is rational. In plain and simple English a terrorist is someone who terrorizes (or tries to) terrorize people and there was a lot of terror in Las Vegas today.

Yes, I don't think that guy in Las Vegas was part of an organized group, but then I don't think the guy here really was either. We tend to save the word "terrorist" for people who do not look or sound like us, but I don't think that should really be the meaningful distinction.
    Like the guy who shot up the mosque in Quebec, that terrorist, who looked just like us, so I call BS on what you're trying to say

Leave a comment:

Working...
X