X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Here's the background

< snip stuff on UN veto votes>
    What might be interesting in these UN stats in general is the number of resolutions on Syria, Iran, Iraq, Sudan etc..

Comment

Cannot find stats, but here are security resolutions by year: http://www.un.org/en/sc/documents/resolutions/

One of more recent on Syria:
      http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_.../RES/2165(2014)

expresses being appalled at the level of violence (death of over 150,000 people including 10,000 or more children), alarm at 10 million people needing humanitarian assistance–6.4 million displaced persons and 4.5 million people that are hard to reach to access help (probably overlapping numbers), and over 240,000 as "trapped in besieged areas".

Also mention 2.8 million refugees in other countries including over 300,000 since previous resolution.

Comment

I wonder what sort of action beyond these resolutions we can expect from the UN and when will we see any sort of SUSTAINED public condemnation of this ongoing situation. There has been some protests, but they have since subsided.

I also would appreciate any education on this conflict. Who is "in the right" here? Is it even possible to determine?

Comment

Lebanese Hezbollah now meddling in Iraq in addition to Syria???

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middle...029917675.html

or is it just Iran spreading its wings...

Comment

^should we also start posting links about the terrorist organization Mossad being involved in the region?

Comment

^
              Originally posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
              Originally posted by grish View Post
              In other thread, a member suggested the following:

Originally posted by faraz View Post
              The conflict we are speaking about is the Palestinian one. Not syrian. Not Iraqi. Not Timbuktu. Create a separate thread and we can have a discussion on it.
              She has a point. We already have a busy thread on Israel vs Gaza/ West Bank. This thread is on everything else excluding Ukraine vs Russia since that too has its own thread I believe.

So the rise of ISIS, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Turkey Vs the Kurds, Egypt vs Muslim Brotherhood, Lybia, Sudan, North Korea vs South Korea...
              We have a thread on the Gaza issue and others noted thank you.

In keeping with faraz's request Grish created this one for other conflicts that do not currently have a thread on them.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

Originally posted by AShetsen View Post
                As a counterpoint: Attention to these things only makes them -- and us -- worse.
                But if we ignore them they continue.

If we hide our heads in the sand they get worse.

In the last 100 years we have managed to kill between 75 and 100 million people or more and wounded jut as many or more (depending on whose numbers you source) in wars, violent conflicts, peacekeeping (peace making) missions and acts of terrorism.

Take a breath and think about those numbers for a moment....

Around THREE time the current population of Canada killed and as many wounded.

As a civilization we continue to justify and tolerate these actions and the average person in a first world country is becoming desensitized and apathetic to it.

What makes us, as a society, worse is we continue to allow it.
                Take no meaningful action to halt or resolve the conflicts.

We "tut tut isn't that a shame" and go back to our electronic toys.

From violence in our streets and homes to civil and international conflicts.

What makes us worse is not drawing attention to it and not taking meaningful action or even calling those we have elected to account for not taking meaningful action on our behalf.

In my highly biased personal opinion
                I don't think a lot of us just tut tut and get back to our electronic toys. It seems each evening we turn on the news the first 15 minutes is taking up with numerous conflicts throughout the world. Shake our heads wondering why this keeps happening. As for the leaders of the world doing nothing. Well, they realize the cost of war is not always in the lives lost or the people maimed. It costs millions (even billions) of dollars to deploy troops and all their equipment to go to worn torn areas. It's a great drain on the public purse. Then take into account that a country like Canada or the USA sent troops to these war zones and sometimes the public do not back that decision. Why send troops when we have nothing to do with the conflict. Then our troops start to get killed and maimed and it makes matters worse. We, the public, are getting battle weary and we are not even on the front lines. We get tired of seeing the carnage from people who cannot sit down and work out a solution over a boardroom table. They'd rather use weapons that strike in the dead of night and kill innocent families. The world needs a whole attitude adjustment when it comes to war. Where do we start on that one.
                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Best question of the thread...
                  The world needs a whole attitude adjustment when it comes to war. Where do we start on that one?
                  Thanks Gemini

Comment

It's going to have to start with the generations that come after us but it's going to take a long, long time to do. They will have to learn that the best solution to conflict is not war but dialogue. If it does not stop now the weapons of today will just get more and more powerful and sophisticated. I'm all for women's equality but when women enrol for active combat it dilutes the conversation for an end to war. Women seemed to be the voice of reason when it came to war. They don't want their men or their sons to be killed, maimed or missing in action. Men tend to say it's the cost of war, women would cry for it to end. It might seem a subtle change but now it indicates that some women think some causes are worth killing for. In theory what causes are worth killing for when compromises can be made. Women by nature are supposed to be the nurtures, the carers, the peace makers. I'm not saying we should go back to the days when the little women stayed in the kitchen but adding them to the active combat roster is not the progress they need to end wars. And at this stage taking them off the combat roster is not going to end wars either.
                    Last edited by Gemini; 31-07-2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Best question of the thread...
                      The world needs a whole attitude adjustment when it comes to war. Where do we start on that one?
                      Thanks Gemini
                      War is too profitable for the military industrial complex for it to stop. Money, power, endless conflicts, control of the masses. Shades of 1984
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

The best solution to war is not dialogue, but trade and commerce.

Countries seem to be at peace with each other when there is a mutual movement of goods, services, and money. Economic sanctions and embargoes only seem to escalate tensions. People will stop fighting with people they hate as long as there is money to be made.

Comment

Yes, for some war can be very profitable. War is an industry unto itself.
                          It's been sold to the public in so many forms we get desensitized to it. New weapons used 10 years ago were billed as destructive, deadly. Now they are 'conventional weapons of war' as if by calling them that takes away their power. The new weapons of today will no doubt get the same subtle name change. Even the thread here about which fighter jet should Canada pick has garnered hundreds of responses and thousands of people reading it. I bet there is not one response on that thread that someone has said fighter jets should be destroyed. We have all bought into the war machine. When the Vietnam war was taking place and day after day there was footage of wounded soldiers, body bags, carnage all round the government realized it could not continue to justify this war to the American people. Now, with instant electronic media we get a constant feed all the time. Just another day in the office. I am sure their are little kids out their that do not know the difference between a movie a video game and real live war coverage. It's all a blur to them.
                          Last edited by Gemini; 31-07-2014, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
                            The best solution to war is not dialogue, but trade and commerce.

Countries seem to be at peace with each other when there is a mutual movement of goods, services, and money. Economic sanctions and embargoes only seem to escalate tensions. People will stop fighting with people they hate as long as there is money to be made.
                            Sometimes trade can be a two way street. Oil is a commodity that can be fought for or fought to protect. Economic sanctions and embargoes only seem to hurt the voiceless people of the country. The hierarchy can get anything they want on the black market as they have the means to do it. Saddam Hussein and his family had untold wealth and yet his people lived in poverty.

Comment

^ I think the situation in Iraq has more to do with revenge and religion than anything else although a Persian friend (who refuses to be called Iranian) claims that all the big religion leaders there abuse drugs and profit from vast holdings that continue to grow by them manipulating religion into getting more. It may yet be true if ISIS has a money-hungry string puller in the background.

Comment

Fighting spreads to Kurdish areas of Iraq:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28640807

Comment

Working...
                                X