State of the world, state sponsored terror, terror and war in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by noodle
    Yeah, but it's no London. Or Berlin. Or Los Angeles. Or New York. Or Paris. Or Rome. Or Toronto. Or Vancouver.
    I never claimed it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
      Originally posted by noodle
      Yeah, but it's no London. Or Berlin. Or Los Angeles. Or New York. Or Paris. Or Rome. Or Toronto. Or Vancouver.
      I never claimed it was.
      You claimed the Financial Times should have noted that Calgary has had a Muslim mayor prior to London, which is ludicrous.

Or am I missing something?
      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Not sure if you like being intentional obtuse just to get in to pissing contests, or what. But let's go back and see what was said:

Financial Times: "Sadiq Khan is the first directly elected Muslim mayor of an important western city"

Me: "Heh, guess the financial times aren't aware of Calgary."

expat: "In fairness, the article talks about "important western cities" rather than provincial backwaters... Even within the UK, London isn't the first city to elect a Muslim mayor."

Kcantor: "not to take anything away from nenshi or from calgary but the reference was clearly to "an important western city"."

Me: "Calgary is the head office hub for an energy/oil basin that contains the third most recoverable reserves on the planet. I'd say that Calgary's pretty important and certainly punches above it's population weight in that respect. I guess it depends how you define/categorize "important"."

Not sure what else needs to be said past that, unless like I said, you just want to get in to a pissing contest. Personally I'm not interested. Have fun, though.

Comment

• I didn't realize calling people out for saying something remarkably dumb was a pissing contest.

You learn something every day on C2E.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• My aim of posting that story was to provide a positive story of tolerance in a world (and a thread on C2E) full of negative stories. Hopefully we can get more of such positive stories and keep this thread on a better direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
              Financial Times, 6-May-2016
              Victory for Sadiq Khan highlights tolerant face of London

But he has also spoken of having multiple identities that coexist. “I am a Londoner, I am European, I am British, I am English, I am of Islamic faith, of Asian origin, of Pakistani heritage, a dad, a husband,” he said on the campaign trail....
              Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
              Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
              Heh, guess the financial times aren't aware of Calgary.
              Overall though, Canada seems to have a better approach to integrate Muslims in our community. Here is a comparison of two recent polls by the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasm...muslim-opinion

Some food for thought...does "forcing" secularization deprives Muslims from adopting "hyphenated identity", such as posted above? Example below is related to the ban on burqa/niqab. I don't post selective quotes, as I know some might be tempted to jump in with their pre-conceived ideas, before reading the material and turn a constructive debate into ideological battles.

The New Yorker, 18-MAy-2016
              WHAT CAN THE U.S. LEARN FROM RADICALIZATION IN THE FRENCH-SPEAKING WORLD?

Comment

• When I first heard the news they were already proclaiming it to be terrorism. Now with news of smoke alarms going off they are backpeddling - even though it could still be a case of terrorism - or not. The state of the world mind these days seems to be to proclaim every event as terrorism based - no actual facts needed. It would be nice if reporters would actually report and not speculate. Of course, officials lacking information have to assume terrorism in order to act fast should it actually turn out to be terrorism. Reporters could report on those actions instead of making up suggestive intuition-group-think-faith-based news stories.

A decent article from May 20th:

Was terrorism behind EgyptAir plane crash, or not? - ITV News

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-05-20/w...-crash-or-not/

Comment

• Fifty Dead in Florida Nightclub Shooting, Worst in US History
                  THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (MIKE SCHNEIDER)
                  June 12, 2016 — 2:26 AM MDT Updated on June 12, 2016 — 8:57 PM MDT

Excerpt:
                  "When the gunfire finally stopped, 50 people were dead and dozens more were critically wounded in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Mateen, who law enforcement officials said had pledged allegiance to Islamic State in a 911 call around the time of the attack, died in a gun battle with SWAT team members."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...tclub-shooting

Comment

• interesting...
                    Lack of public outcry over attacks in the Middle East fuels resentment of the West - The Gateway

"On July 3, an ISIS-coordinated car bombing struck Baghdad, killing nearly 300 people. ...

https://thegatewayonline.ca/2016/07/...s-lack-outcry/
                    Whatever happened to honouring the victims?

Daniel Decker, Jun 29, 2016

https://thegatewayonline.ca/2016/06/...uring-victims/
                    Last edited by KC; 14-07-2016, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=KC;776890]interesting...
                      Lack of public outcry over attacks in the Middle East fuels resentment of the West - The Gateway

"On July 3, an ISIS-coordinated car bombing struck Baghdad, killing nearly 300 people. ...

https://thegatewayonline.ca/2016/07/...s-lack-outcry/
                      People react to what's in the news. Our news doesn't cover much of violence in the Middle East because news reports on changes to the status quo.

A mass murder here or in a Western country is still a rare and shocking event. A bomb going off in Iraq is Tuesday.

Comment

• Possible military coup in Turkey. Sounds like the military has control but news is sketchy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ankara-...coup-1.3681441

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

• Wow. This is THE thread where you come for sweeping statements and generalizations to the max. You can go from moral absolutism to moral relativism in matter of posts. See you again in six months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moodib View Post
                            Wow. This is THE thread where you come for sweeping statements and generalizations to the max. You can go from moral absolutism to moral relativism in matter of posts. See you again in six months.
                            Yeah, I'm always torn between posting to this thread or the smart phones war thread. This one seems less ambiguous.

Comment

• Erdogan increasingly seems like another Putin.

Friday’s coup attempt in Turkey took U.S. intelligence officials by surprise, a U.S. official said. But intelligence analysts have been concerned for months about simmering tensions between President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Turkish military brass as Erdogan has consolidated and expanded his power, the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal assessments.

The Turkish military sees itself as a protector of moderate and secular institutions in Turkey, the official said, and Erdogan has recently been moving more aggressively to silence dissent inside the country, expand his control of the courts and clamp down on freedom of the press.

In March, the Turkish government raided the Istanbul offices of the largest-circulation opposition newspaper, Zaman. Columnists critical of the government have been fired in response to government pressure, and reporters have been imprisoned on terrorism charges."

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-t...htmlstory.html

Older article:

Turkey’s Prime Minister Just Resigned. Here’s Why That Matters.
                              BY LAUREL RAYMOND MAY 5, 2016 1:07 PM

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2016/...gns-explained/
                              Last edited by KC; 15-07-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• Events in Nice were a terrible tragedy. I walked that stretch just a couple years ago. My flair continues to be accurate.
                                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Working...
                                X