X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the world, state sponsored terror, terror and war in general

In other thread, a member suggested the following:

Originally posted by faraz View Post
    The conflict we are speaking about is the Palestinian one. Not syrian. Not Iraqi. Not Timbuktu. Create a separate thread and we can have a discussion on it.
    She has a point. We already have a busy thread on Israel vs Gaza/ West Bank. This thread is on everything else excluding Ukraine vs Russia since that too has its own thread I believe.

So the rise of ISIS, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Turkey Vs the Kurds, Egypt vs Muslim Brotherhood, Lybia, Sudan, North Korea vs South Korea...

As a counterpoint: Attention to these things only makes them -- and us -- worse.

Comment

Originally posted by AShetsen View Post
      As a counterpoint: Attention to these things only makes them -- and us -- worse.
      But if we ignore them they continue.

If we hide our heads in the sand they get worse.

In the last 100 years we have managed to kill between 75 and 100 million people or more and wounded jut as many or more (depending on whose numbers you source) in wars, violent conflicts, peacekeeping (peace making) missions and acts of terrorism.

Take a breath and think about those numbers for a moment....

Around THREE time the current population of Canada killed and as many wounded.

As a civilization we continue to justify and tolerate these actions and the average person in a first world country is becoming desensitized and apathetic to it.

What makes us, as a society, worse is we continue to allow it.
      Take no meaningful action to halt or resolve the conflicts.

We "tut tut isn't that a shame" and go back to our electronic toys.

From violence in our streets and homes to civil and international conflicts.

What makes us worse is not drawing attention to it and not taking meaningful action or even calling those we have elected to account for not taking meaningful action on our behalf.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

No I'm sorry, I'd have to agree with Georges Santayana "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". We can learn from our mistakes, if we're willing.

Comment

Originally posted by grish View Post

The conflict we are speaking about is the Palestinian one. Not syrian. Not Iraqi. Not Timbuktu. Create a separate thread and we can have a discussion on it.
          She has a point. We already have a busy thread on Israel vs Gaza/ West Bank. This thread is on everything else excluding Ukraine vs Russia since that too has its own thread I believe.

So the rise of ISIS, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Turkey Vs the Kurds, Egypt vs Muslim Brotherhood, Lybia, Sudan, North Korea vs South Korea...
          I'm a he. Though I can see why the confusion might take place with an uncommon name.

Comment

Originally posted by sundance View Post
            No I'm sorry, I'd have to agree with Georges Santayana "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". We can learn from our mistakes, if we're willing.
            This is not about pious wishes or stern moral lessons, but about the reality as it is. The simple reality that this "we", collectively, is never willing, and so we never learn.

Stop quoting supposedly great thinkers and leave the crap alone.
            Last edited by AShetsen; 31-07-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Don't worry i am sure the UN has a plan for all these conflicts...
              be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
                Lol, great post!!!!

Comment

The UN might have plans but with the current setup of the security council nothing much will be done unless the vetoing members agree which only happens on relatively minor issues. Russia, USA, China, UK(?), France(huh really ?)have vetoes.

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
                    Seeing as the real power of the UN resides with the Security Council and the vetoes possessed by the US, China, France, Russia & the United Kingdom. I'm sure they do. Of course, the US isn't going to allow any resolution to pass that would have any effect on Israel. Basically, they've given Israel a proxy veto. Do something similar with other countries and their allies on the council and you'll see that the real problem isn't the UN, it's just one small part of it, the Security Council.

Comment

And how many times has Russia or China used its Veto to stop any meaningful action in their spheres of influence? I'm sure its just as many as the US.

Comment

In the past 30 years, no one had exercised more vetoes than the US.

Comment

Here's the background

In the history of the Security Council, almost half the vetoes were cast by the Soviet Union, with the vast majority of those being before 1965.[11]

Since 1966, out of the total 155 vetoes cast, 133 were issued by one of the council's three NATO members: the US, the UK and France.[12]

From 1946 to 2008, vetoes were issued on 261 occasions. For that period, usage breaks down as follows:

The United States has used the veto on 82 occasions between 1946 and 2007; and since 1972, it has used its veto power more than any other permanent member.[13]
                          Russia or the Soviet Union have used the veto on 124 occasions, more than any two others of the five permanent members of the Security Council combined

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...t_common_users
                          And this:

Ambassador Charles W. Yost cast the first U.S. veto in 1970, regarding a crisis in Rhodesia, and the U.S. cast a lone veto in 1972, to prevent a resolution relating to Israel. Since that time, it has become by far the most frequent user of the veto, mainly on resolutions criticising Israel; since 2002 the Negroponte doctrine has been applied for the use of a veto on resolutions relating to the ongoing Israel-Palestinian conflict. This has been a constant cause of friction between the General Assembly and the Security Council. On 18 February 2011, the Obama administration vetoed resolutions condemning Israeli settlements.
                          As long as Israel has the proxy veto though the US, the Palestinians are basically screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by grish View Post

We have a thread on the Gaza issue and others noted thank you.

In keeping with faraz's request Grish created this one for other conflicts that do not currently have a thread on them.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Comment

Working...
                            X