Russia escalates tensions in Ukraine by occupying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia escalates tensions in Ukraine by occupying

I'm catching from my hospital TV that the Russian Federation is now occupying the Crimean Peninsula

This is not good...

Brutal... Been following this since November...

For excellent info follow @maximeristavi on twitter

Slava ykrayina
    i love lamp

Comment

Just to add, I'm intrigued as to what the International Community's response will be... Putin is the most corrupt man on the world(if not, he's damn close), when will he be held to task for his actions?

We all know Russia has a major military base at its only warm-water port in Crimea, however that is NO excuse for invading another country's borders and violating the Budapest Agreement
      i love lamp

Comment

Not unexpected given Russia's long history with the Ukraine but very troubling nonetheless. Hopefully this will not lead to violence or conflict.
        Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

Just a note: There is no "the" in Ukraine. It's a common error.
          Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Comment

I have faith that the UN will handle this, their record is excellent in these type of situations.

/s
            be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

I think if the Olympics had not have been in Russia Putin would have stepped in sooner. He was waiting for the Olympics to be over to make his move.
              Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
                I have faith that the UN will handle this, their record is excellent in these type of situations.

/s
                The UN has done a lot of good. There are many places in the world you would be far more familiar with if the UN didn't exist to help keep the tensions down and/or step in-between combatants. What the UN is not, is a cure-all, they facilitate deescalation but ultimately the people involved have to solve their own problems.

That said, in this case the UN can do nothing because Russia has a veto on the security council. The UN can not act within the direct spheres of any of the permanent Security Council members, they are expected to take care of their own houses. Even after independence in 1992, Ukraine has always been in Russia's house and if you want to know what happens when you try to leave Russia's house take a look at Georgia.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Russian parliament OKs Putin's request to use military force in Ukraine

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Looking like Putin's dream of the rise of the Great Bear has started.

I hope the west is firm but would reek of hypocrisy after [insert war of the decade here].
                    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

I'm a Canadian Ukrainian...I'm going back to the home country to defend her from the Russian Bear...who's with me

Comment

Originally posted by 24karat View Post
                        Just a note: There is no "the" in Ukraine. It's a common error.
                        An early comic which was scanned at 1 bit:

This aside, terrible developments...
                        I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Obama has warned Russia that doing just this would come with consequences…

I just heard a news report saying the U.S military has launched a few ''intelligence'' aircraft into the area to ''monitor'' Russian Activities.

Comment

Originally posted by Franky Knuckles View Post
                            I'm a Canadian Ukrainian...I'm going back to the home country to defend her from the Russian Bear...who's with me
                            I wish you well but at the end of the day it's not the Russian people it's the Russian government that is the problem. Too much bloodshed for one person's power trip. Hopefully it does not come down to this and when you do go back to visit it will be in more peaceful times.
                            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

The Europeans don't want to get involved here for a couple of reasons:

1. Economic ties to Russia, esp. Oil and gas
                              2. Ukraine is a basket case economy they don't want to have to bail out.

The US is reluctant as Obama doesn't want to be responsible for another military engagement.

In an interesting way, with the strong historical ties canada has to Ukraine, canada could actually play a meaningful role, I'd be ok if we sent some forces to assist the Ukrainians maintain heir sovereignty. Some CF18s, or jsfII elite troop for example. Longer term it could help build some economic ties for us with Ukraine.

Comment

Working...
                              X