• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chump
    Originally posted by RichardS
    Originally posted by Chump
    ....maybe we should be sister cities
    The smartest thing Edmonton could do is foster strong relationships with Saskatoon and others along the Yellowhead. Stop looking south...
    I have thought about that for some time (sister city idea, not the yellowhead thing, which is even better).

Perhaps a letter to the Mayor is in order
    Or a letter re Highways to the Minister of Infrastructure and Transportation, Ty Lund.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja Stan
      Originally posted by TerryH
      I should post since I've been signed up for a while.

Went to Athlone, Wellington and Victoria Composite during my school years.

May yet move back to Edmonton as GP is getting too rich for my tastes.
      Hey, Terry. What years did you attend Vic Comp? I went there 90-94, graduated class of '93. I was involved in the choirs and the year-end musicals and hung out with the artsy crowd up by the library.

And I work with a whole bunch of Grande Prairians.
      I went from 1976 to 1980, so i doubt we have any common classmates. If anyone remembers, it was a trades school at the time with some arts, though nothing like it has now. It was also a pretty bad drug haven (couldn't go into the bathrooms without the reek of someone smoking up). Hope it was a lot cleaner when you went.

I took TV Crafts as my major elective. Though nothing ever came of it, it was an enjoyable course to take, especially for the 11th and 12th grades.

If you know anyone at Focus Surveys up here, PM me.

Comment

My folks knew Vic as a trades school and were initially opposed to my attending school there. throughout my first couple of years there, they were concerned about the gang problem, the drugs, and the "hostile" element. But Bob Maskell and Susan Burghardt really turned that school around.

By the time I got there, it was an arts-emphasized school, with many of the auto bays converted into studio classrooms for arts classes. Now, in my opinion, it's swung the other way, and is a little too artsy for my taste.

Comment

Maskell was after my time. The principal at the time was a really good guy but I guess Vic needed an iron hand to run it when it became a junkie school.

Comment

Hello all

Hi there! My name's Mark Wells. Thought it was about time I quit lurking. I was the former SEE news editor that wrote the story on LRT costs that some of you read. I'm now working on a kind of pop-culture/history/guide book about the city and will likely look to connect2edmonton's collective wisdom once in a while.

I'm still doing some freelance work too. If you've got a scoop, I'd be happy to hear it.

Comment

Welcome aboard! I am sure that as you get engaged here, you'll get that scoop.
              President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Welcome, welcome...and I'd just like to point out this site has now moved past the 500 registered user mark! What a great accomplishment. This site is already home to some great discussions, and everyone seems passionate but levelheaded and tolerent of alternate views as well.
                I think this site is dead on track to its goals!

Comment

Hey I'm Rav Naidoo, born and raised Edmontonian.

Been reading this forum for a couple of months, but finally decided to post something. Currently at the UofA finishing up a BSc in Biochemistry.

I've had many opportunities to travel to South Africa, England, Australia, New Zealand, Mauritius, and the US - and have worked/lived in the US for a little bit. What struck me is how well respected Canada is, and more well known and thought about than we may think. However, it takes some time to get people acquainted with Edmonton. After a little discussion about this city and its exciting possibilities I found people to be very receptive and impressed! Keep it goin'

Comment

Originally posted by NBS
                    Hey I'm Rav Naidoo, born and raised Edmontonian.

Been reading this forum for a couple of months, but finally decided to post something. Currently at the UofA finishing up a BSc in Biochemistry.

I've had many opportunities to travel to South Africa, England, Australia, New Zealand, Mauritius, and the US - and have worked/lived in the US for a little bit. What struck me is how well respected Canada is, and more well known and thought about than we may think. However, it takes some time to get people acquainted with Edmonton. After a little discussion about this city and its exciting possibilities I found people to be very receptive and impressed! Keep it goin'
                    Thanks for posting... and welcome. Always nice to see long time lurkers deciding to participate.
                    Time to grow up.

Comment

I'm a student at the U of A who heard about this site through a friend who is very much involved in the city. Thought I might try it out to see what the environment is like.

Comment

Greetings Friends, enjoy reading the forum to keep up on whats
                        going on in Edmonton. I moved from Edmonton 19 years ago and
                        live in Calgary. Hope to move back someday!

Comment

I absolutely LOVE it when ex-pats join. That is a major reason why we have this forum - to get their experiences from other cities.
                          President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

I guess it's time for me to finally get around and introduce myself.

I was born in Hong Kong and my family immigrated to Edmonton when I was one year old. My father visited Expo '67 and fell in love with Canada. He had a friend studying at the U of A so that is why we moved here (thank god!!!).

I grew up in the southside of Edmonton all of my life, so sorry for any southside biases. I've worked in the restaurant industry for many, many years.

I found Connect2Edmonton by a google search. I was looking for a discussion forum to discuss Edmonton current events and issues. Through multi-linking I happen to settle on this site. (p.s. I'm not an IT guy but if you google 'Edmonton and discussions forums' you will NOT get to this site, is there a way to get a higher profile?).

Back in the day, Telus used to have a discussion forum on their home page but they dropped it. I enjoy constructive arguments, which is what you will not find on MSN or Yahoo chat sites.

As a lifelong Edmontonian I am quick to defend the quality of life of my city. As a side note, Edmonton has fallen behind Calgary since Ralph Klein became premier. I feel this city has unlimited potential to be world class as long as we all do our part to promote.

Cheers!!!

Comment

Glad to finally meet you all. Always nice to see the diverse backgrounds around here.

Originally posted by North Guy66
                              (p.s. I'm not an IT guy but if you google 'Edmonton and discussions forums' you will NOT get to this site, is there a way to get a higher profile?)
                              Thanks for this information. We will see what we can do but in the interm even if you aren't an IT guy, you can raise the profile of this forum by simply getting other sites to link to us (link to a discussion, the main page.. anything). If you are part of other forums and they do not forbid you from linking to other sites, just drop this URL into a relevant discussion. We need all the help we can get since there do seem to be quite a few people who stumble upon this site through Google.

Hopefully someday we can get a guide up on how exactly everyone can help C2E raise its profile.
                              Time to grow up.

Comment

How do you do

Hi

My name is Brian Gregg. A lot of my friends call me Breezy. I was conceived in Vancouver and flew across the Rockies as a fetus in 1949 to be born in Edmonton at the Royal Alexandra Hospital. I am a guitar player, singer song writer, and entertainer but I have done other jobs to fill in when gigs have been scarce. I have driven taxi and worked for quite a few years off and on as a mechanical engineering technician at the U of A. I once ran for Mayor of Edmonton. In 1969 I played in Angus Park Blues Band and we opened for Led Zeppelin at the Edmonton Gardens.

These days my fill in jobs are teaching guitar and working as a cleaning lady two nights a week. I also work as a volunteer every Wednesday night hosting the Little Flower Open Stage http://littleflower.ca

I have released 3 CDs http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bzgregg/cds.htm

Most weekends I perform in and around Edmonton with Patsy Amico who I love.
                                http://patsyandbrian.ca
                                Breezy Brian Gregg

Comment

Working...
                                X