Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It must have been you, then. I remember a Stanley in Mr. Kischuk's enrichment class. Joel, he was in the class, too, right? And I think there was a Ryan, as well.

I was in Mr. Shapka's Grade 3 class. But Northmount discontinued the Ukrainian program and I went to Delwood for Grades 4 to 6.

I think I recall your last name. I will message you.

Comment

Yup, Dusty/Mike and I know each other from way back in elementary school. Neat. Anyone else here go to Northmount in the early 80's?

Comment

Hey everyone, my name is Ian. I have been a member for about 2 days now. Anyway, I am was born here in Edm in 2 weeks I'll be 23. For a good chunk of my childhood I was raised in Vegreville, but I have since lived in a bunch of places throughout Alberta.

I am currently studying Journalism at MacEwan, and I just wrapped up my first year. Eventually I plan on going into politics, but I have alot of other interests as well, which I would love to pursue such as film making, architecture and of course Journalism.

Comment

Nova Scotia transplant

Moved from NS to Edmonton area about one month ago (July 2006) Like most Maritimers, we moved here for the jobs. And jobs there are. I never thought I'd get sick of employers calling me wanting interviews. We do miss NS though, but not the NS weather. Always sunny in Alberta. I also miss my cats.

Any other Maritime transplants here?

BlueNoser

Comment

My name is Dave. Born and raised south of the Whitemud in Duggan and Twin Brooks, and only recently bought a condo up near Concordia.(Still eyeing out places downtown...) Although I've lived and travelled abroad (europe, asia) my home is here and I hope it will be for some time.

I found my way here via conversation on the SkyScraperPage Forum, and some guys like RichardS and IanO.
            Shameless Urbanophile

Comment

My name is Stephen but I generally go by Steve. Born in Peterborough, England and emigrated to Canada 10 years and 2 months ago. Came straight to Edmonton (best province and the best city within that province), now live in Sherwood Park. Have been fortunate enough to work or visit every continent apart from Antarctica (still trying to think of a way to get down there).

I love watching the city grow and, as I travel quite a bit, EIA is a major topic of interest.
              Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

Oops, just noticed this thread after been a member for a couple of weeks now. In a nod to my fertile internet nickname imagination, my name is Mick. I was born in Newcastle, England, where I lived until I came here at 13. Since then I've spent the majority of my time in Edmonton, with a three year stint in Kingston, On for my MA.

I enjoy travelling and would love to see Edmonton develop towards a truly vibrant, confident city.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dan and I was born and raised in Camrose. While I have have never lived in the greater Edmonton area, the close proxmity allowed me to visit the city frequently. I now work for ATB Financial and I'm experiencing small town central Alberta, first living in Rimbey and now Carstairs.

Comment

Brent
                    Born and raised in Edmonton and metro region. Currently living in Colorado for work (9 years in the states). I am an International Account Manager so I travel alot. The topic of YEG is an interest of mine because of work, and having a pilots licence.

I have decided to take a risk and leave my nice job and move back to Edmonton in hopes of finding something in which I can still travel, but be based out of the city I want to be part of.

Comment

Originally posted by Brentk
                      Brent
                      Born and raised in Edmonton and metro region. Currently living in Colorado for work (9 years in the states). I am a International Account Manager so I travel alot. The topic of YEG is an interest of mine because of work, and having a pilots licence.

I have decided to take a risk and live my nice job and move back to Edmonton in hopes of finding something in which I can still travel, but be based out of the city I want to be part of.
                      You were always a great contributor on SSP and now you are doing the same, all I can say is; Welcome home Brent.

Comment

what up.. lived in NS for 12 yrs.. originally middle eastern.. just moved to Edmonton in June.. finally settling in gettin my new apt mid month!.. i haven't really been out n done anything.. any pointers about good places to visit.. any haligonians out there.. hit me up

Comment

Originally posted by Coyotex
                          what up.. lived in NS for 12 yrs.. originally middle eastern.. just moved to Edmonton in June.. finally settling in gettin my new apt mid month!.. i haven't really been out n done anything.. any pointers about good places to visit.. any haligonians out there.. hit me up
                          Welcome to E-town man!

Comment

I should post since I've been signed up for a while.

My name is Terry, I live in Grande Prairie right now but I grew up in the Calder and Kensington parts of town and have lived in various other parts of town.

Went to Athlone, Wellington and Victoria Composite during my school years.

May yet move back to Edmonton as GP is getting too rich for my tastes.

Comment

Hi, my name is Ralph, I live in St. Albert and other than 6 months hitch-hiking through B.C. as a teenager I have lived in the Edmonton area all my life. I attended Forest Heights, Hardisty and McNally Schools and am a graduate of the NAIT Business Program.
                              I grew up in Forest Heights, where my family has lived on the same block since 1911. The other side of my family homesteaded at Onoway in 1902 so I have pretty deep roots in the area.
                              I was born in 1960 and even as an elementary student I had a keen interest in local politics. The first civic election I followed closely was when Ivor Dent was first elected mayor.
                              I am an avid hiker and cyclist and have personally explored nearly every inch of the river valley and ravine system. Being a history buff I have read dozens of books on the city's history and I believe that the isolation, climate and patterns of settlement have made us into a unique culture all our own.
                              I have very strong opinions about most civic issues and I have been frustrated following a near lifetime of ineffective mayors and councils.
                              That being said, I am a huge fan of Mayor Mandel. I think this city has finally found somebody with a keen business sense who also appreciates the fact that one of the biggest strengths this city has is it's artistic community and diversity.
                              I am very pro-development but not at any cost. We are at the start of an enormous boom that should be quite long-lived. I am excited at the prospect of Edmonton finally living up to it's potential.
                              The one thing that really bothers me though, is that in my opinion the city's administration is profoundly inefficient and wastes money on a scale far beyond that which is acceptable.
                              Edmonton is facing enormous pressure to expand and deliver services to accomodate this expansion and the administration just doesn't have the competence to handle it.
                              I do however, truly believe that the work ethic and attitude that is a part of Edmonton's culture will overcome bureaucratic inertia and incompetence.
                              I live in St. Albert and am very proud of this little corner of Edmonton. Although nobody out here agrees with me, I feel that all the satellite communities are part of Edmonton. I refuse to define my city by which bureaucracy collects the garbage.
                              This forum and website are indicative of the feeling of confidence that has returned to Edmonton in the past 5 years. I am very heartened by the fact that there are so many people with so many great ideas to improve the city that I love.

Comment

Hi all, I'm John.

I live in Tokyo now, which is strange to compare to Edmonton point to point, but I might try some day.

One thing I learned growing up in Edmonton is to get the right one, the first time: i.e., Commonwealth Stadium, The Space Sciences Centre, The Citadel Theatre, and especially The River Valley (although that was a project started well before I grew up.) Even Tokyo, the indisputed hub of a G7 economy, even now, 23 years after the Lee Pavilion was finished, doesn't have facillities as good.

Another good teacher of that concept was the disaster that marred the Hotel MacDonald from the 1950s to the 1990s.

Among recent projects however, like most of you it seems, I'm particularly offended by Cohos Evamy, or to me privately, "Covert Enemy." I think they think that the interior of a building is everything, and yeah, the interior is one aspect of a building, and yeah, it's also the only aspect they do well, but it IS NOT EVERYTHING! Edmonton may have its cooler days but that doesn't mean we spend every single day indoors. First impressions are not formed in the interior of any building aside from maternity wards! Honestly, did they think the Hotel MacDonald was DOWNGRADED in 1990?

/end rant/

Perhaps this message could fit another topic, but really this is who I am. I bought a beautiful and expensive tiled floor for my condo because of Commonwealth Stadium. The floor will now outlive the building and always be beautiful, non-mould growing (a serious concern in Tokyo) and easy to clean. Should I now improve it by blocking the view with concrete and writing "BIG" on it? Don't be fooled by Edmonton-Scapegoaters, Edmonton has things that stand up against the best in the world.

/no really, end rant/

Uh, so, let's see, is the "Square Pizza Shack" still in business? I miss that too.
                                Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Working...
                                X