No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother and his wife are trying to deal with their daughter-in-law that is a stubborn anti-vaxxer who refuses to believe that the coronavirus is a threat and will not change her behavior, refusing to social distance herself or her children. Neither of my brother's grandchildren (daughter-in-law's children) have been vaccinated for anything and come down with colds and flus but luckily have not come down with other more dangerous diseases yet but that just bolsters her claims that vaccinations are dangerous.

If the pandemic gets worse and the death rate climbs, I hope we find a vaccine. If those anti-vaxxers suddenly realize the danger and want to have the Covid 19 vaccine, I hope that the government makes a rule that to get the Covid 19 vaccine, you and your kids are required to get measles, small pox, rubella and all the other shots plus the boosters BEFORE they can get the Covid 19 vaccine,
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• People listen to Trump. People die.

​​​​​​In an interview with NBC News’ Vaughn Hillyard, the woman in question affirmed that she had heard the Food and Drug Administration had not approved the drug. But she added that “Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure ... Oh my god. Don’t take anything. Don’t believe anything. Don’t believe anything the president says, and his people, because they don’t know what they’re talking about ... This is a heartache I’ll never get over.”

https://gizmodo.com/man-dies-wife-cr...ing-1842465268

Comment

• Wonderful idea, a Cornonavirus party. What could possibly go wrong?

Idiots.

A group of young adults held a coronavirus party in Kentucky to defy orders to socially distance. Now one of them has coronavirus

​​​​​​And the virus seems to be affecting young people in the United States more than it has in China. A report released last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed that up to 20% of people hospitalized with coronavirus in the United States are between the ages of 20 and 44.

"So far the demography definitely seems to be very different in the United States versus in other countries that saw this hit earlier," US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams said on NBC's "Today" on Monday.

In New York state, more than half of coronavirus cases -- 53% -- have been among young people between the ages of 18 and 49, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/healt...ion/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by East McCauley View Post
          Further to the chart kkozoriz posted above, there are some updated charts posted by Vox earlier today.

Link: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...pore-hong-kong

The Vox charts are already out of date with the 5,705 new cases reported in New York State alone not included in their count. When I last looked at the John Hopkins site, there were 499 confirmed deaths in the US, a ten fold increase in little more than a week.
          Well that didn't take long, two days actually. According to the John Hopkins coronavirus tracker, US deaths due to COVID-19 just crossed the 1,000 threshold.

The Vox charts I provided a link to in the above post are being updated though usually about a day behind. The number of confirmed cases in the US was 68,572 last time I checked.

And Trump wants to see packed churches for Easter services. Sounds like a plan.

Comment

• Michigan governor reports that they ordered 200,000 test swabs from the National Depository and to date they have recieved none from the federal government. They did receive a shipment of PPE from the National Depository which equipped one hospital in Michigan for one shift before they ran out.

Doctors and patients all over the US state that they cannot get test kits or tested even though they have all the symptoms of Covid 19

The US is outstripping the rate of infection than Italy and that is without even adding the large numbers of people who cannot get tested.

Nearly 3 weeks ago, President Trump boasted that “anyone who wants a test can get a test."

He lied

People are dying

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
              Michigan governor reports that they ordered 200,000 test swabs from the National Depository and to date they have recieved none from the federal government. They did receive a shipment of PPE from the National Depository which equipped one hospital in Michigan for one shift before they ran out.

Doctors and patients all over the US state that they cannot get test kits or tested even though they have all the symptoms of Covid 19

The US is outstripping the rate of infection than Italy and that is without even adding the large numbers of people who cannot get tested.

Nearly 3 weeks ago, President Trump boasted that “anyone who wants a test can get a test."

He lied

People are dying

I watch joggers daily streaming plumes of airborne vectors as the sun rises and the gyms are closed. I have models showing our provincial infection rate is about 19.5% daily.

Our family and friends are returning this week from spring break and the infection will surge around April 10. We will have about 7,000 active cases and 350 in ICU by then.

The problem now is what happens a week later on April 17. Nobody is taking this seriously here yet. By April 17 we will be.

Comment

• Sobering reading here: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/

Rudderless, blindsided, lethargic, and uncoordinated, America has mishandled the COVID-19 crisis to a substantially worse degree than what every health expert I’ve spoken with had feared. “Much worse,” said Ron Klain, who coordinated the U.S. response to the West African Ebola outbreak in 2014. “Beyond any expectations we had,” said Lauren Sauer, who works on disaster preparedness at Johns Hopkins Medicine. “As an American, I’m horrified,” said Seth Berkley, who heads Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance. “The U.S. may end up with the worst outbreak in the industrialized world.”

Comment

• It was bound to happen, just didn't think it would happen as quickly as today. According to the Bing.com tracker, the US has now surpassed China and Italy in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases.

https://bing.com/covid

Comment

• Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I was trying to find a box or two of latex gloves, and possibly some N95 face masks. I tried looking around by the Stony Pain Walmart area, but everyone seems to be soldout.

Comment

• Princess Auto??

Otherwise you have as much chance as finding hen dentures...

If you find some, buy them and donate them to your nearest hospital. You can't need them more than nurses and doctors on the front lines.
                      Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-03-2020, 06:06 PM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

• Coronavirus modelers factor in new public health risk: Accusations their work is a hoax
                        https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...wpisrc=nl_most
                        In recent days, a growing contingent of Trump supporters have pushed the narrative that health experts are part of a deep-state plot to hurt Trump’s reelection efforts by damaging the economy and keeping the United States shut down as long as possible. Trump himself pushed this idea in the early days of the outbreak, calling warnings on coronavirus a kind of “hoax” meant to undermine him.

The notion is deeply troubling, say leading health experts, because what the country does next and how many people die depend largely on what evidence U.S. leaders and the public use to inform their decisions. Epidemiologists worry their research — intended to avert massive deaths in situations exactly like this pandemic — will be dismissed by federal leaders when it is needed most.

But here’s the thing about peaks: You often can’t tell where they are until you’re already past them, on your way down the other side.

And in a country as big as the United States, the peak will be not so much a single curve as it will the sum of many curves — as the outbreak spreads to different cities and regions at different times. Nonetheless, a new model released Thursday by the University of Washington’s School of Medicine is one of the first to forecast a national peak. It projects that the peak in daily U.S. deaths will arrive in mid-April, and the tail end of that curve, subsiding below 10 daily deaths, will arrive by the first week of June.

<snip>

The University of Washington model predicts that this first wave of infections will end by summer (with subsequent waves a possibility) and that the death toll during this initial period will range from 38,000 to 162,000 – which is a lower projection than some earlier models. But the actual death count in coming months will largely depend on how badly hospitals are overwhelmed and whether they receive supplies like ventilators that they desperately need.

Comment

• I've noticed that a significant percentage of drivers on the road are now wearing masks of one form or another. By themselves. In their own private vehicle. What utility they think that serves, I have no idea.

Comment

• Masks can stop them from directly touching their face with their hands.
                            Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                              I've noticed that a significant percentage of drivers on the road are now wearing masks of one form or another. By themselves. In their own private vehicle. What utility they think that serves, I have no idea.
                              given that you need to sanitize your hands prior to putting on a mask and prior to removing a mask and again after removing and disposing of a mask, if all of things are not possible at your destination, then you would need to put the mask on prior to leaving and keep in on until returning home.

driving a car where you are not the only driver and unable to sanitize it each and every time a change is made might be a reason to wear a mask in the car.

driving a car where you are not the sole occupant might also be reason to wear a mask for the two legs of the trip to and from your home when going to pick up someone from their home to take them to a doctor's office and then back to their home.

now i'm not sure if those are the reason for all of those drivers you're seeing - and i'm sure they're not the only reasons either - but it could certainly apply to some.
                              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                                I've noticed that a significant percentage of drivers on the road are now wearing masks of one form or another. By themselves. In their own private vehicle. What utility they think that serves, I have no idea.
                                Masked car thieves?

Comment

Working...
                                X