Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Edmonton wasting its time trying to get the World's Fair?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RichardS,

Should Edmonton bid on the World's Fair?

yes

Would a World's Fair benefit Edmonton?

yes

Could Edmonton host a World's Fair?

yes

And if anyone wants to know "where" (you couldn't host it in "Hall D" or at Northlands), how about using the City Centre Airport?

And if anyone wants a suggested "theme", how about "education and transportation"?

You could then master plan the entire site - keeping the N/S runway and the race track as part of the "theme" - and then design the pavillion buildings and their locations on the site to be "turned over" to NAIT and the University of Alberta and appropriate R & D users (Spar Aerospace, Bombardier, GM, Toyota, CN, General Electric etc.) to take that "theme" out into the real world.

Now you don't just have a 5 1/2 month "party" watched around the world (not that there is anything wrong with that!), you have a chance to masterplan the "turnover" of City Centre Airport into a true legacy project for the City - and the region - that would be unequaled anywhere in the world...

I disagreed with Kerry's property tax write-in campaign but I for one would be more than happy to write in on this one...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor
      RichardS,

Should Edmonton bid on the World's Fair?

yes

Would a World's Fair benefit Edmonton?

yes

Could Edmonton host a World's Fair?

yes

And if anyone wants to know "where" (you couldn't host it in "Hall D" or at Northlands), how about using the City Centre Airport?

And if anyone wants a suggested "theme", how about "education and transportation"?

You could then master plan the entire site - keeping the N/S runway and the race track as part of the "theme" - and then design the pavillion buildings and their locations on the site to be "turned over" to NAIT and the University of Alberta and appropriate R & D users (Spar Aerospace, Bombardier, GM, Toyota, CN, General Electric etc.) to take that "theme" out into the real world.

Now you don't just have a 5 1/2 month "party" watched around the world (not that there is anything wrong with that!), you have a chance to masterplan the "turnover" of City Centre Airport into a true legacy project for the City - and the region - that would be unequaled anywhere in the world...

I disagreed with Kerry's property tax write-in campaign but I for one would be more than happy to write in on this one...
      ^ Ditto all your comments and I too would be more than happy to write in on this one!

I would like to take that further...

I want to spearhead a campaign or initiative to bid on the World Fair for 2017.

The C2E poll was overwhelming in favour of Edmonton bidding on the World Fair. C2E posters are extremely representative of the population and very well informed (intelligent!).

Will a bid and successful response to the World Fair cost money? Of course, anything of quality and worth having (sustaining) always does (something I remind my SO of every day!).

Edmonton is “World Class” and we should no longer be discounting ourselves.

My challenge: "What support are you (members-at-large) going to provide?"

Comment

I am so with you on the campaign, but can we make to 2017?

I don't want to work much when I am 147 years old...
        My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
          I am so with you on the campaign, but can we make to 2017?

I don't want to work much when I am 147 years old...
          ^ Oops, too "fast" fingers. I meant 2017 which I knew was the next timeslot...

What do you mean you don't want to work "much"...

I am on the "Freedom Never" plan so I probably I will working then and I will be older than 147! (Think of it as the new 110, much like 40 is the new 30 and so on!)

Comment

New thread started. The poll above is fairly representative of this thread, so I shall lock this on to keep discusions focused.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...pic.php?t=2763
            My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

Working...
            X