Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World's Fair 2012 Opened - Anyone notice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
    (...)
    But the accountants convention costs nothing, free advertising. For a billion dollars (or whatever the cost was for Expo), how many advertisments of Edmonton could we have ran?

You only have to look at the G20 mess, the Keystone pipeline controversy (although I wouldn't mind if Daryl Hannah visited ) or the crap Montreal is putting up with now with students, to realize this would probably have ended up doing more harm than good for the cities reputation. Every disenfrachnised environmental or anti-capitalist (i.e. occupy crowd) whacko in North America would have been walking the streets protesting the "tar sands", "foreign oil companies", and the "dirty" Edmonton base.

...accountants convention would cost and would have to get sponsors and the like to get going. For Edmonton to host a convention of enough size to generate this "free" advertising, you'd need a facility far greater than the Shaw...along the lines of some $400 million dollar arena like project. Again...thanks for the hyperbole...but when you start talking conferences like SAPPHIRE or the old COMDEX..something that attracts thousands of delegates worldwide and fills airplanes...then I'll take this accountant smart alec example a bit more seriously...

...but to do that...you'd have to invest BILLIONS in infrastructure...the arena alone is some $400-500 million in the preliminary estimate stage...then hotels and a Shaw expansion...and the LRT to make this worthwhile to get around the city and to the airport...and maybe some other attractions/amenities that an EXPO could have lured to Edmonton...

Nah...100 CMA's in a dark room gets us all we need..

As for the protesters etc that would more than likely come with this...yup...they'd be there all right...but get a world petroleum conference...say...like Calgary...and "lordie lawd...deys shewed up!"...no EXPO required...so are you saying we shouldn't host a symposium or two on the enviroment because a protest group or two may show up? Heck, I can get people to protest an accountant convention...given some of the lax banking and tax laws accountants are responsible for lobbying to keep in place...job security and all....

....and if properly run, do the math. Even with the odd protester or two...get Edmonton on the news, get delegates here, get accords signed...then extrapolate the advertising cost per 1-2 minute news story...globally...you can get to that billion pretty quickly....

...but it is all moot now anyway...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Wasn't security the excuse for killing the Expo 2017 bid in the first place? How's the security for Expo 2012 in South Korea?
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

It was one...the convenient one...and should Canada host another event like G20...well...we shouldn't since security is such a concern. No Royal Visits...no hosting Heads of State or other foreign dignitaries...no summits...no conferences whatsoever that may raise a security concern...

Paula's article hit more of the reasons...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
          Wasn't security the excuse for killing the Expo 2017 bid in the first place? How's the security for Expo 2012 in South Korea?
          They don't have "dirty oil", and their industry isn't the root of all capitalist evil in North America.

Comment

...no...but they do have a neat neighbour that likes to shell islands every once in awhile..."fireworks" per se...

Comment

^so you think we could have done this to keep Daryl Hannah out?

Comment

Only 8 million people attended Expo 2012 in Korea

In comparison, Expo 67 had 50 million attendees when Canada only had 20M people

That was before color TV and the internet
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Yes and we were expecting something like 6 million visitors... whats your point?
                  "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

I know that both Korea and Edmonton are both small Expos and tend to be regional and yes, people from all over the world will attend there are some interesting stats to consider.

South Korea, population 50M, area 100,210 km2 8 million attendees

Alberta, population 3.65M, area 661,848 km2 6 million attendees projected

If South Korea could only get the equivalent of 16% of their population to attend, how can we have expected to get 6 million to attend, 10 times the attendence ratio. Would we have had a much better marketing program or did Korea screw up?
                    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

I thought expo 2017 idea was dead ...
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                        For Edmonton yes...

"The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                          Just doing a post mortem

Prodding it just to make sure it is dead.

EX-po R.I.P.

Credits:
                          The shop keeper was played by, EDP
                          Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 17-01-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

What—beating a dead horse on Connect2Edmonton?!?!
                            I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

^ Ok, now THAT was funny.
                              Ow

Comment

Working...
                              X