X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
    Originally posted by Rick987 View Post
    Originally posted by MikeZ View Post
    You can blame the feds all you want, but any failure has multiple facets, one of which was our commitee's failure to anticipate there was not an open chequebook.
    That doesn't make any sense.

Why is it the commitee's failure? If there are strings or limitations attached to the fed's offer then the fed's need to make it clear at the outset.
    Yes an no. A child goes into a toy store. The parents says you can have 1 toy. The child goes in and tries to get a brand new game system. The parents say sorry thats too much.
    You forgot the part where the parents buy that system for another child (e.g. 2015 Pan Am games).
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by MikeZ View Post
      Very simply, the feds said "too much", and there was clearly excess spending in our bid unrelated to the theme or the goal of the expo.
      Actually, what the feds said "too much" to was something they made up all on their own (overstated and overinflated security requirements) with costs of their own guestimating (what was it again, $1B?) that was not part of Edmonton's bid at all.
      Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

^CTV got hold of a memo that the Fed portion of security costs was $8 million.

Saying security could cost a $billion is in the magnitude of, "I did my homework but I can't turn it in because the dog ate it. Ya, that's it, the dog ate it."

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the logic of the Prime Minister of Canada.

Embarassing.
        ... gobsmacked

Comment

Originally posted by JOA View Post
          You forgot the part where the parents buy that system for another child (e.g. 2015 Pan Am games).
          Fair enough
          youtube.com/BrothersGrim
          facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

What a sad sad joke!
            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

"Because of its perceived out-of-the-way location,"
              I think Gunter got it right.
              We have to start thinking of Who we are and stop fooling around with Who we think we are.

We have a lovely city, great infra structure, good buildings, high employment but we are not a destination for any of a myriad of reasons.

These people at City hall are determined to spend us into a black hole with an assortment of projects that neither reflect who we are for the purposes of attracting business here or what we are for the purposes of attracting foriegn investment.
              To them, it's an oppotunity to showcase a city without any particular attributes.
              (Justify their existences)

Wait ,before you jump all over my statement , we have great parks great river valley, great roads and a very small industrial district producing basically only what local markets require and little or nothing of exportable value.

Want to start changing this image?
              I'm in!
              "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Comment

^ I don't understand your post at all. You don't think we should promote ourselves to be more than we are, but you want us to be more than we are so we can promote ourselves? I'm confused.
                Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

^ x2
                  "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by RTA View Post
                    ^ I don't understand your post at all. You don't think we should promote ourselves to be more than we are, but you want us to be more than we are so we can promote ourselves? I'm confused.
                    Sleep on it.

Watch this then and it might get you started on what I was proposing.
                    http://wimp.com/wealthiestvillage/
                    Last edited by Old Dawg; 14-12-2010, 09:40 PM.
                    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dawg View Post
                      Originally posted by RTA View Post
                      Sleep on it.

Watch this then and it might get you started on what I was proposing.
                      http://wimp.com/wealthiestvillage/
                      Or, you could continue to articulate what you're proposing, because I too see little connection between this linked video and your nebulous proposition.
                      I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

[QUOTE=
                        Or, you could continue to articulate what you're proposing, because I too see little connection between this linked video and your nebulous proposition.[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case, I have undoubtedly attempted to articulate to the wrong audience.
                        I was hoping for someone with some world experience and street smarts.
                        It seems instead I have attracted a couple of the "status quo" city critics.

Everything must be just fine then, right?

Tell me you can't see where Edmonton might be better off financially and spiritually if we were to collectively support conversion of our raw materials here into exportable products.
                        At present, a huge proportion of the employment here is funded by taxes to support three levels of government who collectively, put nothing toward the GDP and simply burden the people who do.

Comment

[QUOTE=Old Dawg;338426]
                          Originally posted by
                          Or, you could continue to articulate what you're proposing, because I too see little connection between this linked video and your nebulous proposition.[/QUOTE

Well, in that case, I have undoubtedly attempted to articulate to the wrong audience.
                          I was hoping for someone with some world experience and street smarts.
                          It seems instead I have attracted a couple of the "status quo" city critics.

Everything must be just fine then, right?

Tell me you can't see where Edmonton might be better off financially and spiritually if we were to collectively support conversion of our raw materials here into exportable products.
                          At present, a huge proportion of the employment here is funded by taxes to support three levels of government who collectively, put nothing toward the GDP and simply burden the people who do.
                          Thankyou for articulating your point. It was possible to do this in only one post!
                          I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

QUOTE]

Thankyou for articulating your point. It was possible to do this in only one post![/QUOTE]

We all figured that none of you would get it here!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dawg View Post
                              QUOTE]

Thankyou for articulating your point. It was possible to do this in only one post!
                              We all figured that none of you would get it here! [/QUOTE]

Yes, we figured you would get around to making a point.
                              <- see? It's a Ninja Smilie!

Comment

Working...
                              X