Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lorne Gunter: Edmonton didn't need an Expo

Lorne Gunter, National Post

...Read, digest, move on. Nothing else to see here folks.

Originally posted by andy8244 View Post
    Lorne Gunter, National Post

...Read, digest, move on. Nothing else to see here folks.
    HarperCorp didn't need a world's fair in Edmonton, and his paid minions are snapping to attention one by one.

People without wit, integrity, or justification.

You're right, time to move on.

Comment

Lorne Gunter - nothing between the ears.

Another "pothole" man
      The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
      It's heaven and hell!

Comment

Can we just close this thread.. its depressing.
        "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

yeah close it because expo 2017 is done for good.
          Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

But the best parallel is with the 1982 world's fair in Knoxville, Tenn. It was also an energy-themed fair in a university city of about 1 million. And it was a flop. Knoxville is within six hours drive of 50 million Americans and managed to attract 11 million visitors during its five-month run. Edmonton is within six hours of Montana, population 800,000.

Because of its perceived out-of-the-way location, Knoxville never attracted all the international pavilions it had planned for and ended up burdening the city with a $46-million debt

Hmm. Interesting and fair comparison.
            youtube.com/BrothersGrim
            facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

I worked in Knoxville for 4 months in 2004. That is when I realized that an Expo is a waste of time and money.
              It's not EIA it's YEG

Comment

Lorne Gunter is right for once.
                The financial payoff versus booster expectations are a lot to chew through.

But, the heck with the feds and all the negativity. We can still do a lot with this city.
                I've been reading alot of urban planning blogs and really, we're sort of fortunate that we have so much space to play with, to grow and develop and nurture projects the way WE want them.

Calm down, all is not lost with all these small setbacks.

Comment

^you realize that one of the main goals of expo was to get dedicated funding for these "projects" right? you really think we are gonna get any sort of sufficient funding now? the lrt expansion is gonna be what $3.2 Billion, where are we gonna get some that now?

I dont know about you but i'm tired of all these setbacks.all we get are setbacks, a disproportional amount of setbacks at that.
                  be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
                    ^you realize that one of the main goals of expo was to get dedicated funding for these "projects" right? you really think we are gonna get any sort of sufficient funding now? the lrt expansion is gonna be what $3.2 Billion, where are we gonna get some that now?

I dont know about you but i'm tired of all these setbacks.all we get are setbacks, a disproportional amount of setbacks at that.
                    What, are we a city of beggars?
                    No offense, but I still hate the LRT plan so really, if that goes downhill, I really don't care.

Comment

beggars? its begging to want a fair share of federal dollars that seemingly everyone else(except Winnipeg i guess) but us seems to be able to get? if so then i will beg, don't worry you wont have to put your pride on the line. those of us who want nice things in a timely fashion i am sure dont mind putting our prides away until we get something.

Originally posted by armin View Post
                      Lorne Gunter is right for once.
                      funny how people suddenly become "right" when they happen to support your opinion.
                      Last edited by richardW; 04-12-2010, 09:57 PM.
                      be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

By whining over the loss of a second rate festival?
                        I'll be upset if we get dissed over federal arena funding if it comes down to it but not the expo. You have any idea of the potential we have by not using that land for that purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post

And that's a MAJOR problem with government decision making, expenditures and ever growing debt levels in this country.

While we all want intelligent capital allocation to projects that create long term benefits with the most bang for the buck to the general public, we instead get taxpayer funds pumped into headline projects where, maybe 30% builds infrastructure or creates those long term benefits, 1/2 goes for the headline event (expo, summit, or whatever) and I wouldn't be surprised if the last 20% is pure waste and over-billing that ends up in promoters pockets.

Comment

It seems to me that the article posted misses the point just like most of the other ones.

All these columnists are beating the drum of how the Fed's essentially saved Edmonton from itself by treating us like a child incapable of making it's own decisions.

There is merit in the argument of Expo being a white elephant, but then again we will never really know now.

What we do know is that despite the Olympics in Montreal being a so called financial disaster, Calgary was given the chance to do it their way, Expo 67 was a loss but Vancouver was given a do over, Vancouver Olympics, Toronto's Olympic bid, Pan Am games, potentially Quebec City bidding on the winter games and so on are all examples of the Fed's not stepping into to protect cities from poor decisions (hell the G20 is an example of the Feds playing the role of the city) and yet here we apparently are with exactly that being argued about Edmonton and Expo 2017 and on top of that we are supposed to thank them?

It's probably a money loser, big deal. The money, at the federal level, is going to be spent. The big picture was always about the legacy the fair left behind. The legacy that Montreal X2, Calgary, Vancouver X2 are still enjoying.

Edmonton set out to play the game by the rules that the Feds and the rest of Canada established and the Fed's changed the rules without telling anyone. THAT is where the story is.

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
                              But the best parallel is with the 1982 world's fair in Knoxville, Tenn. It was also an energy-themed fair in a university city of about 1 million. And it was a flop. Knoxville is within six hours drive of 50 million Americans and managed to attract 11 million visitors during its five-month run. Edmonton is within six hours of Montana, population 800,000.

Because of its perceived out-of-the-way location, Knoxville never attracted all the international pavilions it had planned for and ended up burdening the city with a $46-million debt

Hmm. Interesting and fair comparison.

Montana BORDER is at least 7 hours away. Just to clarify... :P

I was never sold on the expo, maybe because I don't have any faith in this city or province to actually look forward when it comes to addressing energy challenges, sustainability and innovation.

Comment

Working...
                              X