South Campus Expo map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jasper View Post
    ^I know what you are saying, but EXPO could be looked at in a number of different ways:
    - part of a collective, country wide celebration of 150 years
    - Fast-tracking or excelerating development of the south campus
    - Marketing and recognizing our Region
    - Justification to fund overdue and needed projects, such as LRT, Capital Blvd, Rossdale. etc...
    Those aren't good excuses.

Who are we marketing to?
    Who are we trying to bring here?
    How many of you made it to Shanghai for their expo?

We won't draw Europeans. They're a green market and don't care about oil.
    We won't draw people from the US. They're in a recession and can't afford vacations. Our best bet would be with the Asian market. They need resources and can afford it. You won't get a tourist draw however.

WTF is Capital Blvd and please tell me that's not a joke?

Comment

Quick. Someone haul out a crystal ball and tell us that there will still be a recession in 2017!
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

So, there is no point in replying^^

Comment

I say if the city isn't headed in the direction you agree with, move.
          $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

Comment

Originally posted by jstock View Post
            I say if the city isn't headed in the direction you agree with, move.
            Why is it so wrong to want them do something for us rather than someone else? Businesses see quality whether it's financial or social, If we live in a city where we're happy, they're just as enticed to join us.

Comment

I can see a useful legacy of the buildings for the university, but as for the expo itself, I can't see any benefit.

The one is shanghai was 'successful' because there's a billion chinese, and it's a major city in china, and I suspect a lot of people in China search out that international experience, since they can't get it otherwise.

I just don't see who this would draw. It used to be a showcase for countries, new technologies, ideas, etc, but all that information is available on the web. Especially with the theme they're going for, I think attendance would be a complete dud compared to the previous 20 or so Expos.

It just seems like the majority of the motivation behind the bid is to get access to matching government dollars.

Comment

I live in a city where I'm happy. Don't you think that maybe decreasing commute times by building a new bridge, increasing housing options near the core, giving Edmontonians an event to be proud of, etc might show "them" that we live in a city where "we're" happy, and as a result they'll join us?

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea View Post
                  It just seems like the majority of the motivation behind the bid is to get access to matching government dollars.
                  Quoting for maximum truthiness.
                  Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
                    I live in a city where I'm happy. Don't you think that maybe decreasing commute times by building a new bridge, increasing housing options near the core, giving Edmontonians an event to be proud of, etc might show "them" that we live in a city where "we're" happy, and as a result they'll join us?
                    What housing options are provided by the Expo plan?
                    We'd do better off developing ourselves into the river valley.
                    I don't think we need to prove anything to anyone.
                    If we lead by example, they're bound to follow.

Comment

"It just seems like the majority of the motivation behind the bid is to get access to matching government dollars."

What's so bad about playing politics and receiving some dollars for city development?

Comment

Originally posted by armin View Post
                        Originally posted by Ander View Post
                        What housing options are provided by the Expo plan?
                        We'd do better off developing ourselves into the river valley.
                        I don't think we need to prove anything to anyone.
                        If we lead by example, they're bound to follow.
                        Rossdale redevelopment is likely to go ahead with or without the Expo, but I have a feeling it'll happen sooner if there's an Expo next door.

May I ask how you propose we lead by example but not hold an international event which will bring in thousands or tourists?

Comment

Working...
                        X