Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Campus Expo map

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

ANOTHER THREAD on Expo business? That's like 4 started this week alone.

Comment

^they all gotta go, this week only

Comment

The Expo sucks and anyone wasting their money on it is a sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by armin View Post
          care to elaborate?

Comment

^^ trollbait

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
              care to elaborate?

We're in a recession.
              The expo is geared towards oil and energy which isn't exactly a tourist draw.
              Spending money on tourist projects doesn't work. Just look at the Olympic village in Vancouver going broke.
              The area they wish to develop for the expo grounds would be better used making a community which will help connect the south side to downtown and is absolutely prime real estate. It's a waste to develop as anything else, especially when you guys are always talking about alleviating sprawl.
              Blowing wads of cash for construction projects that don't have any long term use is just stupid.

Comment

^ The land is for the university. Expo will build structures that will be used by the university afterwards. This isn't blowing wads of cash, as this will have a long term use.
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Thats some trolling right there armin. I usually defend you. Come with a proper argument.
                  youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                  facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Originally posted by Komrade View Post
                    Thats some trolling right there armin. I usually defend you. Come with a proper argument.
                    Read my other post.

I'm sick of watching people press this issue. The Expo is a ridiculous idea with zero ROA.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                      ^ The land is for the university. Expo will build structures that will be used by the university afterwards. This isn't blowing wads of cash, as this will have a long term use.
                      Why don't they just build functional buildings for the Uni straight up?
                      Retrofitting them down the road will cost more financially.

Comment

because securing federal funding is hard. It's easier if you're throwing an international event which will be the centerpiece of Canada's 150th Birthday.

Comment

I think it goes back to Ian's famous quote, "what kind of a City do we want to be"
                          Sometimes it takes an event to direct attention at the City and at the very least put Edmonton on the radar. Expo is not just about three or four months of displays. It is about bringing people here that would not otherwise come to show off that we are here and we have the tools and the resources to accept investment and economic development. It also gives the City a huge boost in terms money. What may take 20 or 30 years to get funding, we would receive money right away to upgrade infrastructure, build buildings and clean up things we cant afford to clean up now. This is public money that is usually set aside to fund international events. Being a resident and tax-payer of Edmonton, it might as well come here. We have had the attitude of being fiscally conservative in addition to being overlooked by the province in favour Calgary and by the Feds in favour of their favorite five, that we have fallen behind. At the very least, this would bring us up to where we should be.
                          In addition, the U of A is a huge economic driver in Edmonton. Not just because they are a major university, but they have become a incubator for R and D business. Expo will directly benefit the U of A which will benefit economic development in Edmonton.
                          Edmonton is my City and I would rather see public money come here than going to Calgary and Toronto.
                          Yes, there is a bit of a buzz in Edmonton and we are and will continue to move forward. But I think EXPO will boost us further and after that we will probably move forward at a faster pace.
                          Last edited by Jasper; 19-11-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I want to live in a city that doesn't act like a needy little b.tch.

I came back here because I like this city being a little more 'down to earth' than Calgary.
                            I like the fact that people aren't egomaniacs about what kind of cars they drive or what kind of restaurants they eat at. I've tried that lifestyle. It's just not for me.

Edmonton has so much more 'realism' than that and these types of 'show off' events are so phony that it comes off as desperate. I don't care about attracting corporate attention. We have a strong enough energy sector that it should be able to advertise itself on it's own merits.

All this money will do is wind up in the pockets of a handful of developers while we throw on some event that will not draw the kinds of crowds and attention needed to make the event worthwhile.

Comment

^I know what you are saying, but EXPO could be looked at in a number of different ways:
                              - part of a collective, country wide celebration of 150 years
                              - Fast-tracking or excelerating development of the south campus
                              - Marketing and recognizing our Region
                              - Justification to fund overdue and needed projects, such as LRT, Capital Blvd, Rossdale. etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X