Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Fair discussion Part 2 - Business Case

Hello fellow C2E'ers!

With the preliminary report out of the way, it is time for the business case. Let's talk about the activities you would like to see here. The old thread is getting long and we may close it soon to keep the discussion more focused on the here and now.

What do you need to make a yes decision?

What do you see being the biggest roadblock?

Does this business case need to have a positive ROI immediately, longer term, or ever? Define your Return on Investment metrics.

Do you plan to volunteer? If so, what capacity would you like and why?

As I mentioned before, C2E is not the official website of the Expo 2017 bid. However, some committee members do look here for feedback. All official applications, information, and events are at http://www.edmontonexpo2017.ca
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Thank you to DebraW for posting these in the other thread. I thought they should come here as well.

Originally posted by DebraW View Post
    (...)

As you may be aware, Edmonton is evaluating the prospect of hosting a world’s EXPO, and we know our city and region has the capacity to be successful. In 2008 a citizen’s committee provided input to conceptual report on EXPO 2017. The conceptual report is located at www.EdmontonEXPO2017.com

Now, work is underway to prepare a national bid and business case for consideration by the federal government (Canadian Heritage). For this phase of work we’re looking for volunteers who have experience and expertise for four key committees: Community Engagement, Theme, Site & Infrastructure Planning and Sponsorship.

Appointments to the committees are for January to December 2009, and will be approved by the Edmonton EXPO 2017 Board. All applicants will be informed if they are successful once final decisions are made. To find out more about EXPO and these opportunities, interested applicants are invited to attend an Edmonton EXPO 2017 information session on January 15, 2009 at 7:30 pm in City Hall.

If you or someone you know are interested in volunteering for one of the Edmonton EXPO 2017 Committees, please review the material attached, complete the forms and return the package to our project office by 4:30 p.m. on January 23, 2009. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to call us at 780-408-2017.

Kind regards,

Al Maurer
    City Manager
    Edmonton, proud home of the University of Alberta for 100 years. www.100years.ualberta.ca
    Originally posted by DebraW View Post
    Edmonton Expo bid needs volunteers

11:50AM
    630 CHED
    1/10/2009

The city is working on it's bid for Expo 2017 - but they need your help!

Spokesman Bin Lau says they're looking for volunteers to lend a hand in Community Engagement, Theme Development, Sponsorship, and Site Planning.

Go online at: edmontonexpo2017.com to download the volunteer application. Or come out to an information session at City Hall this Thursday (January 15, 2009) at 7:30pm to find out more about Expo and volunteering on the committees. The volunteer deadline is January 23, 2009 at 4:30pm.

Edmonton's pitch for the Expo Committee is due by the end of this year. If successful Expo 2017 would be the 3rd World Fair hosted by a Canadian City. Montreal was the first in 1967 and Vancouver was the host city in 1988.

Link:
    http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1052191
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

For starters:

Yes decision
      - commitments from municipal region, province, feds and corporations
      - location (Muni? Rossdale/Legislature/Kinsmen area? Leduc?)
      - infrastructure improvements
      - hotel space
      - Edmonton-only event, keep Calgary out of it (did they share the Olympics with us? Why do we have to share the world juniors with them when Ottawa recently hosted one on its own? It's Edmonton's turn to shine, don't want thunder stolen by the Cow people)

Roadblocks
      - inability of city to properly market itself and its initiatives
      - indifference/opposition from media and citizens
      - economic conditions
      - Stelmach is on the fence, no word from feds
      - competing cities (Canada, international)
      - smaller scale than Expos 67 and 86
      - Muni closure if that's the desired site
      - are Expos still viable?
      - will there be enough hotel space?
      - it's only 8 years away, can all the infrastructures improvements get done in time?

ROI
      - new infill development (again, Muni or Rossdale/Legislature/Kinsmen)
      - new infrastructure - expanded regional LRT, new Walterdale Bridge, Gateway Blvd revamp plus hairpin removal, free-flow Yellowhead
      - renewed national media perception of Edmonton
      - elevation of citizen pride
      - new businesses and headquarters
      - added downtown high-end hotels
      - new nonstop flights to YEG
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

What do you need to make a yes decision?

A Council that wants to make a splash. In terms of Edmonton winning, I think the prospects are quite high as long as the theme itself is relevant to Edmonton. I don't think that many places in the world can afford a worlds fair, esp. the way the economy is turning now, so Edmonton would be well placed.

What do you see being the biggest roadblock?

The worlds fair itself is IMO declining in relevance - it is an antiquated idea from another era when the "world" had to come to town, for most people never got to see the world. If we won, I'd like to see us change what the Worlds Fair means - make it more relevant, much in the way that LA became the first modern Olympics that made money. I'd like to see a heavy focus on business rather than tourism - an opportunity for companies from across North America (and further afield) from different industries to put on major trade shows / conferences, etc.

Does this business case need to have a positive ROI immediately, longer term, or ever? Define your Return on Investment metrics.

Edmonton is never going to be a major tourist draw on the international scene, its best prospects lie in drawing tourists for specific events (hockey games, etc.) and from closer to home (small towns, etc.). People aren't going to visit from, say Japan, and decide to come back every year (unlike, say, a Barcelona or San Jose). So the return on investment needs to be quick.

The exception that I can see - is if there is a major technological development or business related theme that is relevant to the world, which is developed as part of the theme. For example, the first carbon capture pilot (which the Province wants to achieve anyway). Say we were to take a refinery or oil sands up-grader and send all its carbon underground somewhere. That would potentially have long term benefit to Alberta (export sales of technology - setting ourselves up as the world leader in a given technology). I think this would help win the event as well - providing a strong reason for the Province to invest heavily in it. It doesn't have to be carbon capture - but it needs to be something our corporations and universities can lead the world in.

Do you plan to volunteer? If so, what capacity would you like and why?

Not practical for me now (small kids) - although by 2017 I should be able to help out. In terms of capacity / how, it might be fun to help some nations set up their pavilions or similar, or perhaps some other business related role.
        Last edited by moahunter; 11-01-2009, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
          Thank you to DebraW for posting these in the other thread. I thought they should come here as well.
          As I posted in the other thread I received the letter from the City Manager from my involvement with Leadership Edmonton and felt strongly that many here on C2E would be interested. As has been noted I (DebraW) am in NO way connected to C2E, the CoE, or Edmonton EXPO 2017. I am simply a passionate and engaged Edmontonian who makes no apologies for that.

As Richard has noted check out the official website edmontonexpo2017.com or call (780) 408-2017 or better attend the information session on Thursday, January 15 at 7:30 pm @ City Hall OR best VOLUNTEER.

The only other comment I am going to make in this thread at this time (at the likely risk of being harangued for derailing) is that perhaps the spelling mistake in the title could be fixed so that it reads World's Fair instead of Wolrd's Fair?

Comment

I think the biggest challenge with respect to the World's Fair has to be building consensus among Edmonton residents. Start at the grassroots level and build up. Perhaps going to elementary/junior high/senior high schools would be the first step. That would get parents interested, and it could carry over to the business community.

Also, I like Moahunter's ideas. What has made the Olympics work in recent years? Perhaps recruiting some people from the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Committee and getting their ideas would really give this Expo bid a boost. Properly done, I think Expo could be profitable.
            Last edited by The_Cat; 11-01-2009, 11:05 AM.
            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
              I think the biggest challenge with respect to the World's Fair has to be building consensus among Edmonton residents. Start at the grassroots level and build up. Perhaps going to elementary/junior high/senior high schools would be the first step. That would get parents interested, and it could carry over to the business community.

Also, I like Moahunter's ideas. What has made the Olympics work in recent years? Perhaps recruiting some people from the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Committee and getting their ideas would really give this Expo bid a boost. Properly done, I think Expo could be profitable.
              I agree... I think that is the biggest challenge. A large number of Edmontonians have no clue about what a something like this might mean to the city. And out of that large number, a great deal of them don't even care. I'm not really sure how to change this... but I think it's a very significant and difficult set of circumstances that need to be overcome. It actually worries me quite a bit that some ignorant Edmontonians might be the reason why something like this might not happen.

Comment

I, for one at the risk of being called a ludite, am not in favour of trying to attract the Worlds Fair. When one considers the issues that Montreal had, and that Vancouver is currently having regarding financing the events and being in debt for the foreseeable future. I do not believe that the benefits of holding such an event is worth the cost of doing it. Again, if it is really important, put it to a plebiscite, let the folks vote and the majority wins, whichever way it goes....

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Timer View Post
                  I, for one at the risk of being called a ludite, am not in favour of trying to attract the Worlds Fair. When one considers the issues that Montreal had, and that Vancouver is currently having regarding financing the events and being in debt for the foreseeable future. I do not believe that the benefits of holding such an event is worth the cost of doing it. Again, if it is really important, put it to a plebiscite, let the folks vote and the majority wins, whichever way it goes....
                  Thanks for posting your thoughts because I think the same about this. I also agree with moahunter's views in a previous post.

The cost might double by then, what real benefits would it bring to Edmonton? Also, we are not an established world city and I honestly don't think that the billions spent will attract people to a city that has 4-6 months of winter. Let's be realistic about this and yes, have a plebiscite.
                  We are all the same, just different...

Comment

A worlds fair doesn't require building massive housing projects such as the Olympic Village, or major sporting event infrastructure such as the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. What would be needed are things like infrastructure improvements such as LRT expansion, general city beautification, etc... things we should be working towards anyway.

Comment

and that Vancouver is currently having....
                      Yet Expo 86 had so many ancillary benefits. It kicked Vancouver into the international spotlight, began the revitalization of the downtown docks and yards into what it is today, built a Skytrain system, etc, etc.

There are so many benefits of a properly done Expo that can't be lowered to a simple profit on the actual event.

In regards to Montreal....Expo 67 was very well run and organized. It was the Olympics that turned into a boondoggle.
                      LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

And it's Vancouver's Olympics that are now in trouble... not Expo '86.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                          That doesn't auger well though etownboarder.
                          We are all the same, just different...

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                            That doesn't auger well though etownboarder.
                            I guess you didn't read my other post... the need to build infrastructure and various projects such as venues etc are very different for Olympic games and an Expo or Fair. They are very very very different, and the projects that Edmonton would embark on are things we should be doing anyway... I don't see what the issue really is, except ignorance.

Comment

Maybe a few articles on 86. Here's some I just googled:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...961308,00.html

An interesting thesis abstract: http://www.bus.qut.edu.au/research/t...ord.php?id=164

http://archives.cbc.ca/society/celeb...s/clips/15494/

There's some rather interesting stuff in BC Hansard as well.

Just some stuff to whet the mind gears

I think the most important thing that needs to be kept in mind is that this is not just a fair with an opening, closing, ticket sales, and bottom line profit margin. This is nothing short of wholistic social engineering of our City.
                              LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Working...
                              X