Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
    Federal court denies Elizabeth May's bid to join leaders debate
    Good. Party leaders shouldn't be able to bully their way into a debate they weren't invited to in the first place.

Now, whether she deserved to be invited ot not is a different issue altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
      Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
      Federal court denies Elizabeth May's bid to join leaders debate
      Good. Party leaders shouldn't be able to bully their way into a debate they weren't invited to in the first place.
      I don't really feel it was bullying. Maybe if the Greens hadn't been invited before, I could see how it could be viewed as trying to claw their way in. It's very strange to be okay with it one year then be completely against it and have a long list of reasons why, and that weirdness probably is what prompted them to aggressively seek answers.

Comment

The way I see it, the Greens had one member in Parliament last go around, and that is why May was allowed to join in on the debate.

This time they have zero MPs.

I think that's a fair rationalization for the decision, whether you agree or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOilers View Post
          I think that's a fair rationalization for the decision, whether you agree or not.
          I'm not disagreeing with you on this, I just certainly don't think their actions could be construed as "bullying". If nothing else, they would have to do it in the interests of not looking like lazy-bones to folk voting for them.

Comment

Great interview with Elizabeth May on The National tonight. Part of the discussion revolves around Stephen Harper cheating in the 2008 Leaders' Debates.

http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/indept...interview.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
              It's the NDP who have the most to lose here. I still doubt any Conservative, at least any I've ever heard or met, would ever consider voting Green.

For example, under Foreign Policy:
              "Canada is running the risk of losing this hard-earned respect from the international community through its participation in the war in Afghanistan"
              Well, some of us who've voted conservative in the past (or would consider it in the future) did/do so on fiscally conservative grounds....Not because of their often nut-job /xebophobic stance on "moral issues", immigration, foreign policy, etc.

almost makes you yearn for the days of Reform / PC when there was a clear distinction between the two.

Comment

The Conservatives don't even really hold conservative fiscal policy in high regard as they spend more than ever before... Their spending habits are very liberal. Unfornatrly that means we just get double the number of ultra conservative programs.

Comment

Where do you think "Conservative" comes from? Conservativism isn't a fiscal position, it's ultimately one of keeping society as it is rather than allowing it to evolve or better itself. It has roots in the French Revolution, they saw that a quick change in society's norms resulted in violent bloodshed, and felt that the best way to avoid conflict and to keep society's norms homogeneous is to conserve it by any means necessary. Fiscal conservatives are different from straight up conservatives, and I find most people identify as fiscal conservatives rather than the extreme religious/lock-step/traditionalist conservatives that run the party in both the US and Canada.

...which is part of the reason why you're seeing such vitriol these days in politics. The world has changed a great deal, many hold on to the ideas of the past and others want to change to the ways of the future, but both are hindered by a political system that needs a great deal of work (and, funny enough, this work is being hindered by conservatives).

Comment

***ADMIN THREAD BUMP***

I'm doing this instead of creating a new thread. It may be worth discussing whether or not the decision to exclude the Green Party proved to be disasterous, or a non event.

Did the absence of the Green Party from the Leaders Debate materially affect the outcome? Would Mrs. May been a factor? Were points critical to Greem supporters even discussed?
                    Ow

Comment

I'd take her and the Green Party over the Bloc being invited. While the |Bloc may have protest seats, the Green Party at least could govern the country if they could get the exposure.
                      happy to be the grumpy old bugger waking up the booster club!

Comment

Working...
                      X