X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It begins: tories aim to heighten web-surveillance powers

http://www.canada.com/technology/Tor...380/story.html

Four more years!

Is there a "banging head against the wall" smiley?... Nope. Damn.
    http://orbisaetherum.com — My story podcast. Take a listen!

Yup. Thanks 'Conservatives' for spending millions on unjustifyable, unwarranted surveilance on normal Canadians.

I'd really like to know more about this issue.

Comment

well, it is part of New World Order.
      Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Comment

Hmmmm ?

So tell me again; what was wrong with the gun registry and the long form census?

Oh, Oh - There goes my hobby of posting derogatory and debasing Liberal Party (and in this case Conservative Party) news articles.

excerpt:
        "For example, over the past few weeks there has been mounting concern that the legislation would also create new criminal liability for hyperlinking to content that incites hatred and for using anonymous or false names online." Source: MICHAEL GEIST, SPECIAL TO THE OTTAWA CITIZEN, MAY 17, 2011, Tories aim to heighten web-surveillance powers, http://www.canada.com/technology/Tor...380/story.html
        Last edited by KC; 17-05-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
          well, it is part of New World Order.
          Ha!

Good one Jags!
          The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
          It's heaven and hell!

Comment

If I wanted to be watched, suspected of crime like I had already committed one, and live in fear like the sword of Damocles is hanging above me waiting to strike the second I say something that could be construed as TURRISM... I would move back to the US.

Comment

Hey now! Where's the C2E Conservative Booster crew... moahunter, ralph60... guys, c'mon... you mean you're not even going to attempt to justify this gem?

Yup, warrantless "lawful access" - those pesky warrants and the judiciary just get in the way... don't ya know!

But really, we should already be used to this Conservative tactic... using so-called 'omnibus' mega bills to ram through contentious Harper "agenda" items. This one's a bonus... it's never even been subject to committee review - which really is in keeping with Harper's disdain for Parliamentary process.

So... don't provide evidence of a need, don't allow Parliamentary committee review, mandate the disclosure of personal information without court oversight, establish an underlying massive ISP regulatory process, install broad new surveillance technologies... and... don't cost any of it. Simply bury it in an 'omnibus' bill and ram it on through - case closed! Certainly, oh ya, ISP's will simply absorb the significant costs - certainly they won't be expected to pass those costs on to their customers. Ya right...

Comment

the real tragedy will be enduring threads like these for the next 4 years
                be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

"If you've got nothing to hide..."

vs.

"Whatever you say or do WILL be used against you."

But my favourite... (Works in China, Russia, Iran - and here)

" "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." - Animal Farm

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/animal...l#explanation4

Maybe we need to bring back the old telephone party-line approach - open everything up to everyone.
                  Last edited by KC; 18-05-2011, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Let's can the indignation. People voted. Let them live with their choice.

Comment

Meanwhile the U.S. may be moving the other direction:

Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) proposed sweeping digital privacy protections Tuesday that would require the government, for the first time, to get a probable-cause warrant to obtain e-mail and other content stored in the cloud.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE! I AM A GOOD CANADIAN! I LOVE GIVING UP MY INFORMATION FOR IT MEANS I AM FREE!
                        youtube.com/BrothersGrim
                        facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
                          the real tragedy will be enduring threads like these for the next 4 years
                          more likely 30 months or so... then they'll swing on back to prep for the election, while offering anything and everything to the sheeple. So... prepare for the best (err... the worst) in the coming 2-2.5 years!

about that so-called 'hidden-agenda'... big time rumblings are starting up over the 'rumours' of a Conservative private-members bill to reopen the abortion debate. Yup, expect big changes - ramming as much through before the mid-point turnaround.

Comment

Joint letter as signed by Canada's Privacy Commissioner and every provincial counter-part... raising concerns over the current Conservative 'Lawful Access' proposals:

Privacy Commissioner of Canada Jennifer Stoddart, along with all provincial and territorial privacy guardians, have sent a letter to the Deputy Minister of Public Safety Canada regarding the privacy risks stemming from the government's current initiative to amend the legal regime governing the use of electronic search, seizure and surveillance. Copies of the letter, dated March 9, 2011, were also provided to members of the House of Commons Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security, as well as the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights.

As a group, Canada's Privacy Commissioners remain concerned about the government's current lawful access initiative, in particular Bill C-52, the Investigating and Preventing Criminal Electronic Communications Act. We held a teleconference on January 18, 2011 to discuss the issue and would like to relay the substance of that dialogue. While we understand the legitimate needs of law enforcement and national security agencies, as well as their challenges in the context of new information technologies, we would like to bring to your attention the following concerns about the absence of limits on the access powers, the wide scope of information required to be collected and provided by telecommunications companies without a warrant and the inadequacy of internal controls and the legislative gaps in the oversight model.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                              about that so-called 'hidden-agenda'... big time rumblings are starting up over the 'rumours' of a Conservative private-members bill to reopen the abortion debate. Yup, expect big changes - ramming as much through before the mid-point turnaround.
                              At this time, that would be political suicide for the conservatives. I don't think Steve would allow that - but who knows, maybe he's stupid or arrogant enough (I hope) to let some of his minions' leashes loose. Nonetheless, for the Harper Government to sustain, they need to lay low and portray to Canadians that they are closer to the centre...for this cycle anyway.

Now, if Steve receives his majority again next time around, opening up contentious issues like this could be more likely.

Comment

Working...
                              X