Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What good does it do to paint Edmonton blue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What good does it do to paint Edmonton blue?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...134/story.html

EDMONTON - Longtime Conservative Randy Ferguson tore up his party card last fall and mailed it to the prime minister after the Harper government nixed Edmonton’s bid for Expo 2017.

For Ferguson, the federal decision was a double whammy — a lost opportunity to showcase the city and a clear signal of a bigger problem: that no one is standing up for Edmonton in Ottawa.

“We have do not have a strong voice in Ottawa,” said Ferguson, a prominent housing developer. “We haven’t had one since Anne McLellan left politics.”
    Longtime Tory MP Laurie Hawn, running in Edmonton Centre, is proud of the way the Conservative team stands up for Edmonton. Opposition candidates are just “playing politics” by suggesting otherwise, he said.

Local Conservative MPs fought hard for Expo 2017 in caucus, but in the end, the cost was too high and government had to make a fiscally prudent decision, said Hawn, adding he’s only heard about Expo three times at the door.

“I understand the disappointment, but I could not fault the logic of the decision. Now opposition politicians are jumping on this for political gain,” said Hawn, adding that the city has received $350 million in stimulus spending.

Mary MacDonald, the Liberal candidate running against Hawn, said she’s getting a different message.

“Stephen Harper arrives in Beaumont and says, ‘Paint the province blue,’ but he doesn’t come into our city. It’s being taken for granted,” said MacDonald, referring to Harper’s early campaign visit to Beaumont, just south of Edmonton.

Voters also remember when the Calgary Stampede got $5 million from the Marquee Tourism fund the year Edmonton’s folk festival got nothing. Grants to Edmonton’s Indy, Fringe Festival and Grey Cup totalled about $1.6 million over two years.
    Ambrose, who was minister of public works before the writ dropped, said Edmonton has plenty of clout. She has held eight different cabinet posts and worked closely with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and finance minister Jim Flaherty, especially on oilsands issues.

In Edmonton, the MPs work as a team, she said, noting that other local MPs sit on parliamentary committees.

Conservative James Rajotte, chairman of the powerful finance committee, said the Liberals are just playing old-style politics in which “politicians have to bring home the bacon.” Unlike government MPs, opposition candidates can promise any kind of spending “because they don’t have to balance the budget.”

Edmonton gets plenty of largesse on its own merits, he added, including the four Canada research chairs at the University of Alberta, as well as lots of money for research infrastructure.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Please elect Mary Macdonald. It's time to show the rest of Canada we don't blindly suport one party...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
      Please elect Mary Macdonald. It's time to show the rest of Canada we don't blindly suport one party...
      For all you Green/NDP voters in Edmonton Centre, register for Vote Swap 2011 and choose to vote Liberal in this riding (I would normally vote Liberal in Edmonton-Strathcona, but will be voting NDP to keep out Ryan Hastman) - http://www.votepair.ca/

Comment

Mary MacDonald has a slim chance of beating Hawn and that's enough for me to vote for her. If you're interested in the polling numbers check out Project Democracy. The samples at the riding level are very small so the margin of error is large but she has been climbing.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Who says folks vote blindly? Maybe the folks that vote in a particular party have good reason for doing so (ie, the platform aligns with their needs).

I think it's quite pretentious to assume that by voting differently than you, others are somehow ignorant or whatnot.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^Where did I say that? You are putting words into my mouth..

The national perception by both the conservatives and other parties is that Alberta is a "sure thing" That is why you don't see our conservative MP even door knocking in their home ridings.. they are out east trying to win votes in other provinces.

Being a sure thing is NOT doing us any favors and it's about time we realize this little factoid.

Why is it that conservatives tend to be so paranoid that everyone is out to get them.
            Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 18-04-2011, 11:44 AM.
            "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

All this just sums up why election reform is badly needed in Canada. I am definitely not a fan of the NDP or Green parties, but I still think it is quite unfair how under-represented they are. Even if it may not pass, at least the UK is having a referendum this year on it. Can look at countries like New Zealand who are from the same Westminster system that have evolved over time. Just as a side note, they are having another referendum again this year whether to keep the MMR system or change to another.

Comment

Don't put words in my mouth http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post282008

Your putting words in my mouth and I DON'T appreciate it.http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post271829

you are putting words into my mouth... That is not what I said at all. http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post347576

I never said that...so don't put words in my mouth http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post245695

I'm seeing a trend where people interpret things you say and you get defensive... I think you should focus more on what's coming out of your mouth and less on what you think others are trying to put in.

As for this topic, you said
                blindly suport one party
                which can be clearly taken as suggesting that people out west vote a certain way because they're blind to some sort of obvious reality that should convince them to do otherwise.
                "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Having grown up in small-town AB, I know many rural folks vote Conservative only because that's how they've voted their entire life. Most will openly admit to it.

Comment

^It's important to remember that at some point they chose to vote that way for the first time. If I was a voting-age Albertan the first year of the NEP, I would likely have a lifetime hatred of the Liberals, as I'm sure many older Albertans do. Many of us on this forum weren't able to vote during that period and can't relate to those that did. Young Liberal and NDP supporters may think Alberta votes blue "blindly", but everyone had to be convinced at one time or another to vote that way. As time goes on that will change as new generations find new reasons to vote for the party of their choosing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                      Don't put words in my mouth http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post282008

Your putting words in my mouth and I DON'T appreciate it.http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post271829

you are putting words into my mouth... That is not what I said at all. http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post347576

I never said that...so don't put words in my mouth http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...uth#post245695

I'm seeing a trend where people interpret things you say and you get defensive... I think you should focus more on what's coming out of your mouth and less on what you think others are trying to put in.

As for this topic, you said
                      blindly suport one party
                      which can be clearly taken as suggesting that people out west vote a certain way because they're blind to some sort of obvious reality that should convince them to do otherwise.
                      You can vote how ever you choose and I have never attacked anyone for voting conservative, but just remember that when Edmonton and Alberta is once again overlooked.

One thing that Alberta doesn't understand is the importance of health opposition as we haven't had on in this province since... well I can't remember ever having a healthy opposition.

Look at the title and topic of this thread and tell me my talking points are invalid or out of context.

Searching a phrase and and then posting all it's findings is hardly proof.. those are 4 post out of the 6,500 posts I have made in total of this site or .06 of a percent. So if you are going to draw wild conclusions based on .06 of a percent.... you go right ahead. I assure you however that mathematically speaking .06% does not equal a "trend"

Try countering my argument with facts and logic, not personal attacks.
                      Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 18-04-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                        ^It's important to remember that at some point they chose to vote that way for the first time. If I was a voting-age Albertan the first year of the NEP, I would likely have a lifetime hatred of the Liberals, as I'm sure many older Albertans do. Many of us on this forum weren't able to vote during that period and can't relate to those that did. Young Liberal and NDP supporters may think Alberta votes blue "blindly", but everyone had to be convinced at one time or another to vote that way. As time goes on that will change as new generations find new reasons to vote for the party of their choosing.
                        Actually, many of them, even many younger rural Albertans, would openly state that they vote Conservative cause that's how their parents vote, and their grandparents, etc etc. Certainly not all of them, but many do.

Comment

I would like to point out that the only candidate to come to my door has been Laurie Hawn, wheres Mary and Lewis been door knocking cause its not in my area.

Comment

^ I dunno but I have seen Marry a few times now... I doubt Laurie would stop at my door cause I have a liberal sign on my lawn.

I really would like to see Lewis run in another riding, I think he would be great in the House, but he only serves to split the votes in Edmonton Center.

Comment

^^^Absolutely true. Not contesting that point. Doing my best to round out the argument. Politics and religion have a lot in common in that regard, being raised to believe in the same thing as your parents without knowing the facts and deciding for yourself.

One thing to note is that as far as Conservative vs. Liberal goes, all parties have have drifted to the left somewhat. The federal Conservatives aren't nearly as conservative as traditionally known, or as much as Republicans to our south. Openness to both abortion and gay marriage speaks volumes about how all parties have progressed in Canada.

So even some liberal-minded folks may still find themselves drawn to the Conservative party since the lines are now a lot more blurred.

Comment

Working...
                              X