I really like Ignatieff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ Exactly. Unless Ignatieff attempts to defeat a conservative minority on it's first throne speech, regardless of it's content, (and he's made no suggestions to that effect), there is nothing undemocratic going on.
    Maybe not, but it would be incredibly stupid IMO for the Liberal party, close to long term suicide I would suggest. The idea that the NDP, Bloc and Liberals are going to be able to work together is a joke. We all know the first thing Bloc is going to do as part of the agreement, is ask for a huge payment to Quebec. Then a few months later, they'll ask for some more. And if not given, they'll go back to the Conservatives and ask from them... This is exactly the disruption that the Bloc wants on their goal to soverignty.

I can understand the concept of two left parties in coalition (NDP and Liberals) if combined their vote were higher than the Conservatives. But if it isn't, I think it would be very strange for them to let the Bloc be the tail that wags the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
      ^ Exactly. Unless Ignatieff attempts to defeat a conservative minority on it's first throne speech, regardless of it's content, (and he's made no suggestions to that effect), there is nothing undemocratic going on.
      I don't think Ignatieff has plans to do this unless given a clear minority/majority in a coalition with the NDP. The fact that Harper is now going around saying he rather have another election than respect this parliamentary coalition is so hypocritical. Basically saying it's his way or no way.
      www.decl.org

Comment

^The way the polls are going, this may be a more appropriate question for Jack Layton.

Comment

Interesting thread to look back on now. The Toronto Star (Liberal rag) has an interesting article which outlines what Liberal party members thought of Ignatieff's performance, and in particular, his arrogance in not preparing properly for the debate:

The home run was what political junkies call the “pivot.” You get lobbed the big question and you pull off a pivot, smashing it right back in your opponent’s face and taking the game. Or you flop around like a dead fish.

“Why do you have the worst attendance record in the House of Commons?” Layton challenged Michael Ignatieff, adding the Liberal leader missed 70 per cent of the votes. Layton threw in that Canadians who don’t show up for work don’t expect to get promoted.

Oddly, Ignatieff was smiling as he launched into his answer. He began talking about his “respect for the institution of Parliament” before his voice rose to angry indignation: “So don’t give me lessons on respect for democracy.”

Veteran Toronto MP Jim Karygiannis groaned along with Liberals across the country. Apparently, Ignatieff didn’t understand the pivot. Karygiannis (Scarborough-Agincourt), who easily spends more time in his riding than in Parliament, was practically screaming answers at the TV screen: “Look, you’re a professional pol, Jack. You stay in Ottawa. I’m out working hard and talking to real Canadians, listening to them and working with them. That’s ... what I’m doing.”

Extensive Star interviews with campaign insiders and politicians show a large slice of the loss must be attributed to the arrogance of the Liberal leader. In the end, a central Conservative criticism against Ignatieff — that he was arrogant — turned out to be true. It wasn’t the demeanour of a man deliberately trying to be haughty. Rather, as a Liberal communications expert noted: “Any political party is like a Masonic Lodge. You’ve got to know the secret handshake — and he didn’t know what he didn’t know.”

But a disgruntled Liberal veteran said of Ignatieff: “He didn’t want to do the debate prep. He said he’d been a championship debater at university and had spent his life as a TV journalist.”
          http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/p...d-the-liberals

Comment

^ yabut... the real comeback to that bullshyte Layton comment on attendance would have simply added a false credence to it's significance. By historical tradition, the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader do not, typically, vote on items brought forward by back-benchers... obviously intended to offer a token-nod to the presumptive free-vote attachment associated with a non-government introduced bill. So, of course, Layton falsely "shines" with his 90%+ number, while Harper and Ignatieff's attendance numbers fall far back. Try to bring that little ditty forward and explain it in a most restrictive few seconds response to a Layton/NDP attack ad. Bullshyte Layton comment/attack ad... one the NDP knew, full well, had no real legitimacy.

Comment

Working...
            X