No announcement yet.

Conservatives want student votes nullified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least he's being honest, period. We're all selfish.

Originally posted by Dialog View Post
    Originally posted by ralph60 View Post
    This isn't the first time a political party has objected to special polls on university campuses.
    The Liberals did exactly the same thing at the U of T in 2006.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/archi...icle809170.ece
    Except in that case they succeeded in shutting it down.
    Actually, the Cons succeeded in shutting the practice down entirely!
    Actually it was Elections Canada that shut the practice down, according to your link:

""Once Elections Canada officials were made aware of the local initiative in Guelph, the returning officer was instructed not to engage in any further activities of a similar nature," a statement says. "All returning officers have received this instruction."

Similar polls were held at the university in two previous elections.

Chipeur said some returning officers misunderstand the purpose of special ballots, which are used to accommodate the infirm, inmates or other voters who can't go to a regular polling station."

It shouldn't have been held in the first place. Moahunter is exactly right on this, for exactly the right reasons.

And, though it pains me to say it, Moahunter is the only one posting here (that I can find) that's being honest about not wanting to encourage those who disagree with his/her position to vote.

It's standard campaigning procedure for all parties to try to discourage those who'd vote against you, mostly through the "let sleeping dogs lay" approach. That's why the last thing a campaigner should do is engage anyone in an argument.

Anyone in any party who says they want opposition voters to vote is either lying or a fool. Of course there's no shortage of either on of these in any federal election.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 23-04-2011, 09:02 AM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
      Anyone in any party who says they want opposition voters to vote is either lying or a fool. Of course there's no shortage of either on of these in any federal election.
      I disagree with your opinion. Good policy comes out of collaboration, not out of subjugating one side by any means necessary so you can push through your plans with no obstacles.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoBandit View Post
        Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
        I disagree with your opinion. Good policy comes out of collaboration, not out of subjugating one side by any means necessary so you can push through your plans with no obstacles.
        I guess we can disagree. I think encouraging someone predisposed to vote against my vote is stupid. Not wanting people to vote against you has zero to do with subjugation.

Every single party feels the same way, I guarantee you. They all want to be in power.

Unless you consider Canadians to have been living under subjugation for most of our history. Quite a stretch, I'd say. If people choose not to vote, that's up to them.
        aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
        X