The real issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real issues

I'm interested in hearing what the real issues are for people who post here. Rather than posting about leaders personalities, or ideologies, etc. What are the key issues for you, and why do you believe (or not) your particular party shares your position?

I'm leaning Liberal for two main reasons.

I support the Liberal position on child care/day care. Notwithstanding "beer and popcorn", it does help ensure children get a certain standard of care.

I have a problem with the Tories "tough on crime", "build more jails" position. If it was about being tough on what I consider to be serious crimes I might be more in favour. I don't consider trying to rehabilitate criminals to be "hug a thug", but if hugging did the trick, I'd do it.

A deal breaker for me is the Tories position on marijuana. I know it should be decriminalized. I'm a bit Libertarian. When the most harmful thing about a drug is that you might go to jail, it's a problem. When I consider the fact the Tories are cracking down on pot alongside their tough on crime/build more jails position I'm left with a very bad taste.

I have some significant problems with the Liberals as well (!!!), but I'll leave it at that for now. I'm interested in hearing from others what the real issues might be.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

My concern is how the federal government will maintain our economy, and specifically how it will impact Albertans. I'm concerned about the cap and trade talk of Iggy. If something like that was to take place it would hit the Alberta economy (as well as Saskatchewan's) with a wallop, not unlike the effects of the NEP.

Layton's idea of taxing big corps and giving tax breaks to mom and pop outfits doesn't sit well with me. It's the big multinationals that make a diff in this country, not the small businesses (we're talking tax revenue, not people employed). Take away the multinationals and we have nada.

In my younger years I used to vote far left (*coff* NDP) but now that I'm older (wiser? HA!) I vote Conservative, and will again this election.

To me, the Tories are the best of the bunch. Oh, by the way....I despise all polititions regardless of party.

Re: pot laws in this country...yes, I would like to see perhaps a small fine for simple possession, nothing more. Decriminalize it for sure.
    Last edited by soycd; 12-04-2011, 06:56 AM.
    Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

Comment

I am sad that none of the things I am worried about are addressed in anyway by any of the major parties...

1. the escalation of the pension pyramid scheme
      2. the continued imbalance of copyright law
      3. the high price of telecom services
      4. the war on drugs

Comment

Originally posted by soycd View Post
        My concern is how the federal government will maintain our economy, and specifically how it will impact Albertans. I'm concerned about the cap and trade talk of Iggy. If something like that was to take place it would hit the Alberta economy (as well as Saskatchewan's) with a wallop, not unlike the effects of the NEP.
        Layton's idea of taxing big corps and giving tax breaks to mom and pop outfits doesn't sit well with me. It's the big multinationals that make a diff in this country, not the small businesses (we're talking tax revenue, not people employed). Take away the multinationals and we have nada.

In my younger years I used to vote far left (*coff* NDP) but now that I'm older (wiser? HA!) I vote Conservative, and will again this election.

To me, the Tories are the best of the bunch. Oh, by the way....I despise all polititions regardless of party.

Re: pot laws in this country...yes, I would like to see perhaps a small fine for simple possession, nothing more. Decriminalize it for sure.
        You do realize that Alberta already has a "cap and trade" type system in place for large emitters, right?

The province is regulating and reducing emissions from large industrial emitters. We have put a price on carbon dioxide and have a regulated carbon offset market. Alberta is making significant investments in low-carbon technology, such as carbon capture and storage. We are encouraging energy-wise decisions through educational and consumer rebate programs.
        source: http://environment.alberta.ca/0918.html

from what I have seen of the Federal Liberal Platform, it seems similar.

Comment

I thought this National Post article today is a really nice walk through of the two party plaforms, and how they differ. It really depends on how you see the role of the Federal goverment, whether you want them more involved in the provinces or less.

It’s two very different views. The Conservatives believe Ottawa has a specific role in well-defined areas of responsibility and should stick to them; the Liberals see themselves ranging broadly over Canada, putting their hand in where they think there’s a need. The Conservatives believe budget certainty is key to providing other services, the Liberals see it as important but not a game-breaker. The Tories see Canada playing a strong, high-profile role in the world, the Liberals prefer a more muted, collectivist approach. Mr. Harper’s government sees plenty more areas to come down hard on law-breaking, Mr. Ignatieff’s Liberals think the Tories are paranoid.

You don’t need a debate to figure out what these parties are about. It’s right there in black and white. It’s a distinct choice, and an important one.
          http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...-liberal-land/

Comment

I like this commentary about the Conservative platform:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1981467/

Comment

In terms of overall values and vision I support the Green Party, but I'm encouraged by a few things in the Liberal platform. For me the biggest issue is income inequality and specifically taxing the rich more to fund adequate public services, which isn't being talked about much. I think personal income taxes should be more progressive and corporate taxes should be kept competitive or lowered further, but not to the extent that it increases the deficit.

I like the Liberals' plan to limit the stock option deduction that makes them only 50% taxable, although I think it should be eliminated altogether. I also like their plan to strengthen the CPP and the new Learning Passport program.

Comment

This article is an interesting read about people, the beliefs they hold, and their (lack of) reasoning for holding them: http://articles.boston.com/2010-07-1...mation-beliefs

Not directly related, but very relevant in the context of an election and "issues."

And this link I'm sure will just confirm what a lot of us know already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Too much, too fast would hurt, but encouraging industry to burn less fossil fuels to get other fossil fuels out of the ground would be a good thing. Petroleum prices have been rising faster than inflation since the 1970s. It will be worth more tomorrow than it is today. There's no need to extract and sell it all as fast as possible.

Employed people pay taxes, unemployed people don't. Small business owners spend their profits in Canada. Foreign shareholders don't.

Decriminalization would save casual tokers from criminal records, but the only way to get the profits out of the hands of organized crime is full legalization. Regulate and tax marijuana like tobacco.

Comment

I'm concerned about the cap and trade talk of Iggy.
                    Me too.

This would not only be crushing to the economy (hurting all the schools, health care, infrastructure, and social programs that depend on it), but cap and trade would be utterly useless environmentally as well.

EDIT - here's a report released by the Friends of The Earth, listing 10 wyas that cap-and-trade will pretty much just end up being a giant tool to scam people: http://www.foe.org/sites/default/fil...arkets_Web.pdf
                    Last edited by MrOilers; 12-04-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

^True. A carbon tax would be simpler and more effective, and the proceeds could be used to lower other taxes to maintain competitiveness. The trick is setting the correct rate to provide some emissions reduction incentive without destroying the industry. You've got it right if the environmental lobby calls it a step in the right direction but not nearly far enough, while industry complains but doesn't stop building upgraders.

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
                        Decriminalization would save casual tokers from criminal records, but the only way to get the profits out of the hands of organized crime is full legalization. Regulate and tax marijuana like tobacco.
                        I agree. This is why I don't support simple decriminalization of drugs - beside some of the savings we would incur by not having to imprison or police users, the drugs will still do similar harm to society at large (organized crime, health costs, theft to support drug habits, etc.).

If governments want to ease up on drug punishments and actually see some measurable benefit to society, they need to fully legalize and tax them. People do drugs anyway, and if legalized at least the drug money will be going into our tax system to benefit everyone, instead of making street dealers rich and leaving the rest of us to pick up the pieces.

Comment

Employed people pay taxes, unemployed people don't. Small business owners spend their profits in Canada. Foreign shareholders don't.

The result of taxing big business would put us right back to where we were when even our own former Liberal P.M. had his ships registered in foreign countries rather than his own to avoid the tax. And the Libs want to put us there again. Everyone complains that all the services are being out sourced to other countries. Hmmm. Wonder why. Sound to me like maybe this Harper guy might be onto something. And he doesn't even have any ships to hide.
                          There are no stupid questions; just a lot of inquisitive morons!

Comment

Working...
                          X