No announcement yet.

Czar Stephen Harper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet the Tories have the support in recent polls over the Liberals, looks like the NDP even have more lol.
    Last edited by Hilman; 23-04-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• speaks volumes about the support base of the Tories, doesn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by grish View Post
        also, at times, like this:
        is it true that the original caption was "s***w you, i have a report?". interesting how behavior and attitude and one's perception and treatment towards others often depends more on whether they agree with you (generic and not personal you) than on their actual behavior and attitude. what is acceptable from those with whom one agrees - or in one's own behavior for that matter - becomes deplorable from those with whom we do not agree. current support for the tories may well speak volumes about the support base but it probably speaks equal volumes about the alternatives.
        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• the non-specific and generic you may wish to review the irony of evoking a completely unrellated discussion in which disbelief reigns in the presence of very specific evidence.

in the case of the Tories, disbeilef is coupled with indifference as all evidence be damned. Tories supporters, not all as Mr. Peter Kent has proven recently as well as the campaign staffers for Julian Fantino in Vaughn, have difficulty noticing all evidence that the party they support has been found in contempt of parliament, the party members face criminal proceedings with respect to elections fraud, G8 spending has been misused as some sort of partisan slush fund, hospitals being given away like candy in Vaughn to reward "correct voting" (yet the funding goes to private interests close to the campaign), documents are withheld from parliament time and time again, influence is being thrown behin port authority candidates with questionable links, people are being removed from rallies based on Facebook evidence, and journalists are only allowed to ask certain questions.

The FU boy picture quite clearly and correctly summarizes the behaviour of Mr. Harper and his approach to transparent, democratic rules for government.

Comment

• ^
            and the behavior of grits for decades - or social credit or ndp or bloc or [insert party of choice here] has been so exemplary as to be above reproach and warrant support regardless of platform or local candidate? this is not a suggestion to ignore or to excuse stupid and inappropriate behavior, simply a comment that stupid and inappropriate behavior knows no political boundaries so unless you want to vote "none of the above" by staying home or - more suitably perhaps - spoiling your ballot, we are left trying to decide what to vote for, not what to vote against. and if the other parties want some of that tory support, they need to do a better job of earning my vote based on what they stand for and how they conduct themselves instead of throwing stones from glass houses.

Comment

• check the thread's title. it is about Harper's approach to governance. To say that he is excused because others may have done something similar in the past is really meaningless.

I am glad, however, that you and I appear to have agreed that Harper's behaviour is at the very least not above reproach. And that is what the thread is trying to debate.

Comment

check the thread's title. it is about Harper's approach to governance. To say that he is excused because others may have done something similar in the past is really meaningless.

I am glad, however, that you and I appear to have agreed that Harper's behaviour is at the very least not above reproach. And that is what the thread is trying to debate.
                noone's behavior is "above reproach".

and pardon me for reading the thread and thinking that it tries to paint everyone's behavior except harper's as above reproach and all tory support as unthinking and uncritical.

Comment

• It shows an extreme luck of judgement to excuse this behaviour by pointing to others who may or may not try the same when in power. Imagine if your child tells you that they should be excused in being dishonest only because all their friends are the same, or an employee telling you that the reason they used company money for their personal need is because all other employees in their place would do the same.

In arguing that Harper supporters should not be seen as unthinking and uncritical, you sure pick interesting points to defend your case.

Comment

It shows an extreme luck of judgement to excuse this behaviour by pointing to others who may or may not try the same when in power. Imagine if your child tells you that they should be excused in being dishonest only because all their friends are the same, or an employee telling you that the reason they used company money for their personal need is because all other employees in their place would do the same.

In arguing that Harper supporters should not be seen as unthninking and uncritical, you sure pick interesting points to defend your case.
                    well if you really want to move this discussion to a hypothetical simile, a better one might be to be a good example for your child without having instead to rely on "do as i say, not as i do ".

Comment

• that would be a good similie if you could find a specific example of Ignatieff or even Layton acting in that way.

We certainly have plenty of examples with Harper, however, where he pretends that rules of parliament need not apply when he gets to decide. When has Ignatieff acted in this manner?

Comment

• It would be good if you spent as much time and effort looking for that kind of specific example yourself. Or for any other kind of transgression. Each party leader has shown some of the same kind of disdain for those they disagree with.

I might point out it's the same kind of disdain you are showing in this thread for Tory supporters.

You are telling people who they should support (or more to the point who they should not), and why, completely disregarding the fact voters have their own key issues and priorities, while insisting they should instead be using yours. I'd call that arrogant.

I didn't see you mention health care. The economy. Jobs. Crime and punishment. Afghanistan. The oil sands. The environment. Education. Day care. Etc. I would say each of these is far more important to most people, me for sure, that the fact the Harper gov't was found in contempt, not by a judge, but by members of the opposition party as a pretense for an election. Most of us find that to be mostly partisan BS.

If most people are ignoring your key points it's because they don't find them important, not because they are in disbelief or indifferent.

You are making the same miscalculation the opposition parties did, leading to an expensive election few Canadians wanted. I doubt the outcome of the election will be one you agree with. Don't blame everybody else for not sharing your priorities. And don't be surprised if they don't rush to your side, especially after you give them the finger, which is how your post, above, comes across.
                        aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                        X