No announcement yet.

THe Vote Compass from the CBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wound up dead on where they place the conservatives. And I am not going to vote that way.

Because to be a conservative today, you must first and foremost be a liar.

Comment

^ thanks for that stunning piece of brilliant commentary.... really added to the topic!
      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

One thing that has been identified as a flaw in the Vote Compass is voting strongly against adopting a carbon tax puts you in either the Conservative (okay fine) or Liberal (Huh WTF?!?!?) categories.

Comment

.....................................CARSON....... .................................................. .................................................. CARSON........HARPER.........CARSON............... .................................................. ..........................................CARSON.. .................................................. .....................................
          Now who is the disbarred lawyer, convicted fraudster.................take two guesses!!!!!
          Harpocrite knows better but refuses to do the right thing......................harper would not know honesty if he tripped over it.
          Time will tell on this new Alberta Government.

Comment

Originally posted by alex69 View Post
            I wound up dead on where they place the conservatives. And I am not going to vote that way.

Because to be a conservative today, you must first and foremost be a liar.
            Dumb. Adds nothing to the discussion, and makes you look like a dolt.

You just referred to many of my best friends and associates, including some of the finest, most upstanding people you'd ever meet, as "liars".
            aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
              ^ Um...The Left leaning parties do have the majority of the house... I'm not looking at party specifics because we often make choices at the ballot box such as strategic voting.. or maybe we like our local candidate even though we may not entirely agree with the party...

The reality is... the parties left of center have the majority of the house and receive the majority of votes within the system.

Our social values are left of center with centric fiscal trends. Even the conservatives aren't reallt conservative. There social platform may be Right of center but their fiscal planing is ANYTHING but conservative.

We need some party merging on the left is what we need or for a national reform/wild rose/tea party movement to start.... If you really want to get the conservatives out of power start up the Canadian tea party and suck the fiscal conservative base away.
              The Liberals, at least historically, aren't "Left". Voting Liberal is not akin to voting NDP. Take a look at the platform, and, again, the history of governance. It's actually closer to voting Conservative, despite protestations to the contrary.

So, I think it may be closer to the truth to say most Canadians vote centrist.

On the topic, it's hard to miss the irony when the CBC asks me to take a poll so they can tell me who I'm supporting. If they want to know, maybe they should just ask.
              aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

^ I think you misunderstood the intention of the compass. I think their point is to potentially highlight a discrepancy between the voting intention and the party policy. It has more of an educational value then telling you how to vote.

Comment

Gotcha. I probably did. Thanks

Comment

To me this is exemplified by the marijuana question. In other threads we have seen people of many political stripes advocate for legalization. Well, that's not Harper's stance, he's for toughening, more sentencing, decidedly against legalization.
                    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                      ^ Um...The Left leaning parties do have the majority of the house... I'm not looking at party specifics because we often make choices at the ballot box such as strategic voting.. or maybe we like our local candidate even though we may not entirely agree with the party...

The reality is... the parties left of center have the majority of the house and receive the majority of votes within the system.

Our social values are left of center with centric fiscal trends. Even the conservatives aren't reallt conservative. There social platform may be Right of center but their fiscal planing is ANYTHING but conservative.

We need some party merging on the left is what we need or for a national reform/wild rose/tea party movement to start.... If you really want to get the conservatives out of power start up the Canadian tea party and suck the fiscal conservative base away.
                      The Liberals, at least historically, aren't "Left". Voting Liberal is not akin to voting NDP. Take a look at the platform, and, again, the history of governance. It's actually closer to voting Conservative, despite protestations to the contrary.

So, I think it may be closer to the truth to say most Canadians vote centrist.

On the topic, it's hard to miss the irony when the CBC asks me to take a poll so they can tell me who I'm supporting. If they want to know, maybe they should just ask.
                      Our history has been that of a social left party with a fiscal policy that tends to favor just right of center.
                      "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Working...
                      X