Federal Election Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Election Wish List

With groups across the country, already laying out what they are looking for from the federal government. I thought a Edmonton wish list would be a good conversation starter.
    In order to keep the list from looking like a series of grocery lists, only 3 wishes per person, works in fairy tales, and face it, budgets these days fall into the catagory.

If we end up with an election a poll encompassing the top 5-10 can be added.

Southeast/West LRT by 2017
    Yellowhead Trail freeflow by 2017
    Relocation of Northern related deparments from Ottawa to Edmonton
    Edmonton - Vancouver - Ottawa

I wish Fidel was 30 years younger and a Canadian, he would have USA asking us for help not what Harper is doing, begging Obama for a photo op
    Time will tell on this new Alberta Government.

Comment

1. LRT funding
      2. Port Alberta
      3. Walterdale Bridge funding
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

4. No transfer payments, so we can buy all the above 10x on our own
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Gas tax for transit upped.

Higher levels of support for single parents.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

1. No Rona
            2. No Laurie Hawn
            3. No Peter Goldring

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
              1. No Rona
              2. No Laurie Hawn
              3. No Peter Goldring
              We'll get the chance soon enough. I predict an election will be called for the first Monday in May.

Comment

A two party system
                Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

My wish....
                  Canadians suddenly smarten up and turf the little tyrant and his brand of political thugs that continually pander to the lowest common denominator (attack ads etc.). In their world, it seems that being smart is a bad thing. This attitude will eventually drive Canada into the ground in terms of competing with countries that value education.
                  posts randomly and infrequently

Comment

I'd like to see the cancellation of the stock option deduction that results in most stock options being only 50% taxable. Stock options are employment income; there's no reason they should get preferential treatment to other employment income. Higher personal income taxes on incomes over about $200k would also be nice.

On the expenditures side I'd like to see investments in green energy and high speed rail, particularly the Windsor to Quebec corridor.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieBoyinExile View Post
                      I'd like to see the cancellation of the stock option deduction that results in most stock options being only 50% taxable. Stock options are employment income; there's no reason they should get preferential treatment to other employment income. Higher personal income taxes on incomes over about $200k would also be nice.

On the expenditures side I'd like to see investments in green energy and high speed rail, particularly the Windsor to Quebec corridor.
                      Don't expect any promises like that from our current government. The Conservatives wouldn't dare tax someone wealthy, nor are they likely to invest in environmentally friendly products.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                        Don't expect any promises like that from our current government. The Conservatives wouldn't dare tax someone wealthy, nor are they likely to invest in environmentally friendly products.
                        Its funny you write that, the Liberals are much closer to Bay street and even less likely to do this (remember the income trust saga, and how they were happy to see companies like TELUS about to become non-taxable at corporate level?). The conservatives aren't a big business party, they are a grass routes / small business one.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                          Its funny you write that, the Liberals are much closer to Bay street and even less likely to do this (remember the income trust saga, and how they were happy to see companies like TELUS about to become non-taxable at corporate level?). The conservatives aren't a big business party, they are a grass routes / small business one.
                          Oh I don't expect the Liberals to be perfect, but they'll do more for the every-day person than the Conservatives have ever done. Plus, they actually seem to care about he environment.

And in response to the bolded section above, I would say the Conservatives are all about BUSINESS. Or have you forgot the recent reductions to the federal corporate tax structure?

Comment

Oh I don't expect the Liberals to be perfect, but they'll do more for the every-day person than the Conservatives have ever done. Plus, they actually seem to care about he environment.

And in response to the bolded section above, I would say the Conservatives are all about BUSINESS. Or have you forgot the recent reductions to the federal corporate tax structure?
                            I also think the Liberals are far from perfect, but they'd be a lot better than the appalling regime we have in place. Even just the fact that they have an actual team of competent individuals...strong members like Scott Brison, Dominic Leblanc, John McCallum, Martha Hall Findlay, Ralph Goodale, and Mark Holland, just to name a few. The conservatives have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find people like Bev Oda and Vic Toews to put in cabinet positions.

Comment

Those reductions / goal of 25% corporate rate (which I totally support, I see more investment / new business / jobs, starting in Canada rather than the US because of it) came from the Liberal party, it was their plan when they were in power, the Conservatives just carried it on.

Comment

Working...
                              X