• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paralympics unhappy with CTV's plans

Rod Mickleburgh
    Vancouver — Globe and Mail
    Friday, Mar. 12, 2010

The president of the International Paralympic Committee has criticized CTV's decision not to broadcast Friday evening's opening ceremonies of the Paralympic Winter Games live across the country.

“It absolutely smacks in the face of one of our four values, which is equality,” Sir Philip Craven said in an interview. “So, when I heard this, I was not very happy about it, at all.”

CTV, the host broadcaster for both the Olympics and Paralympics, intends to broadcast a tape of the opening ceremonies at 2 p.m. Saturday. However, the event will be shown live on CTV BC, allowing digital subscribers throughout Canada to tune in as well.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1499037/
    CTV dropped the ball on this one. I would much rather see the Para Opening Ceremonies than Ghost Whisperer, Medium, and The Bridge.

If CTV must show Ghost Whisperer and The Bridge on Friday night, they should of put the Para Opening Ceremonies on SportsNet.

No Canadian hockey teams were playing on Friday night so SportsNet's lineup was FIS Alpine skiing, Sportsnet Connected, and Flames TV (ughhh!).

Comment

classy move ctv... classy

Comment

My son asked me, "when is the paraolympics on"? He learned about it at school, and has been looking forward to seeing the events. Very disapointed with CTV, this would have been an excellent opportunity to extent the "spirit" we all enjoyed, a few weeks more.

Comment

Everyone is so quick to criticize any company who does not do "good things". I also would like to see the ceremonies live as well but CTV has a business to run and shareholders to earn profits for. If you were a shareholder and CTV made a choice to do this but was not in your interest then you would not be so happy. The only way to avoid this is to mandate this be broadcast live on a PUBLIC not private broadcaster. By the way CTV has not owned Sportsnet for years and therefore could not force them to broadcast anything. CTV owns TSN.

Comment

I wonder what organization negotiated broadcast rights with CTV for the Paralympics and why live coverage of the opening wasn't included in the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by exiledincgy View Post
              The only way to avoid this is to mandate this be broadcast live on a PUBLIC not private broadcaster.
              That's no guarantee either.

Comment

Originally posted by exiledincgy View Post
                Everyone is so quick to criticize any company who does not do "good things". I also would like to see the ceremonies live as well but CTV has a business to run and shareholders to earn profits for. If you were a shareholder and CTV made a choice to do this but was not in your interest then you would not be so happy. The only way to avoid this is to mandate this be broadcast live on a PUBLIC not private broadcaster. By the way CTV has not owned Sportsnet for years and therefore could not force them to broadcast anything. CTV owns TSN.
                I willing to bet showing the Para opening ceremonies would have gotten far greater ratings than showing Ghost Whisperer.

More ratings = greater profits for shareholders.

Thanks for letting me know CTV does not own SportsNet. But obviously the two networks made a deal during the Olympics so SportsNat can broadcast some events. They could of done a similar deal for the Para Games. Or show it on Discovery Channel or Much Music or any of the gazillion other networks CTV owns.

Comment

No wonder I couldn't find anything on the Opening ceremonies, I would've watched 'em
                  ----

Comment

It's a total embarrassment, I have seen more coverage of the paralympics on the Japanese channel than on Canadian TV. The events and stories of people participating are really interesting and exciting (not that most Canadians would know, no thanks to CTV). If there was ever an opportunity to make this event a ratings winner, it was now, and CTV has totally blown it.

Comment

I willing to bet showing the Para opening ceremonies would have gotten far greater ratings than showing Ghost Whisperer.
                      A continuous shot of a pack of peanuts on the ground would draw more viewers. Ones with income and of greater value to advertisers anyway.
                      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^ LOL! I'd take a pack of peanuts any day over that nauseating Brian Williams.
                        Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

CTV to show closing cermonies

VANCOUVER, B.C. — The closing ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Paralympics have gone from a no-show to a live show on the official broadcast network for the Games.
                          CTV has announced it will air Sunday's closing ceremonies live across the country in both English and French at 7 p.m. PT, or 10 p.m ET. Originally, the ceremony wasn't even on the broadcast schedule for the Games.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...VpOfr20Mn4_pQg
                          Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

^from the above link:

The network said it reversed that decision because it was happy with the ratings from the opening ceremonies broadcast and felt airing the closing ceremonies was the right way to close out the Games.

"Canadians have demonstrated incredible passion and support for our Paralympians as they set new standards for performance and inspiration," Susanne Boyce, president of creative, content and channels for CTV Inc., said in a statement announcing the decision.

"This final celebration brings to a close the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, an unforgettable adventure that has captivated our entire nation.
                            Nice back tracking by CTV. They didn't know there is huge support for the Paraolympics after the feel-good feeling of the whole country from the Winter Olympics?

They should just admit they screwed up by not broadcasting the opening ceremonies live.

Comment

Working...
                            X