http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/25/...ex.html?hpt=C1

What do you think?

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
    In Germany, they are calling it the "Death Track"

http://www.bild.de/BILD/news/bild-en...ath-track.html

A Dutch driver is too scared to ride it:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/25/...ex.html?hpt=C1

What do you think?
    I think a lot of people say a lot of things to make themselves feel better. Of course the track is dangerous, if you're not ready enough or good enough for it, that is.

Comment

People crash on every track. Was this one aggressive? Yeah. Too aggressive? Maybe. Did they modify it to prevent a repeat of the accident? Yup.

I know how to walk across perfectly flat ground but I still trip and fall once in a while.
      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Read the very last sentence of the CNN article, which is a quote from Arnold van Calker, the driver too scared to ride it.

In fact, they could probably delete the rest of the article and use that quote as the headline, and the story.

"It's nothing to do with the track, just my lack of confidence at the moment."

End of story.
        Last edited by Chump; 25-02-2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

^And you believe that? He is chicken for a reason.

Hopefully there won't be any more incidents. I am not so sure it is a "death track" so much as these are "death sports". This track just highlights it a bit more.

Comment

^And you believe that? He is chicken for a reason.

Hopefully there won't be any more incidents. I am not so sure it is a "death track" so much as these are "death sports". This track just highlights it a bit more.
            I have no reason to think he's not being honest. Ya I believe it. How many teams have safely gone down that track in the last how many years? I've posted a quote somewhere in another thread alluding to the fact that the accident rate at this track is on par with others.

Hopefully there won't be any more incidents - fully concur.
            Last edited by Chump; 25-02-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chump View Post
              Read the very last sentence of the CNN article, which is a quote from Arnold van Calker, the driver too scared to ride it.

In fact, they could probably delete the rest of the article and use that quote as the headline, and the story.

"It's nothing to do with the track, just my lack of confidence at the moment."

End of story.
              +1. What he said ^.

It seems an especially dangerous sport if you don't really know what you're doing, and have 100% confidence. 100+ KPH wearing a helmet and some fancy underwear. I'd be putting the brakes on all the way down. They try to go as fast as possible. If he's not sure of himself, he's making the right decision to drop out.

I remember watching Klein and (I think) Decore on tv doing a promo "fun" luge race. I suppose it sounded like a fun idea when someone came up with it, but I think they both got more than a little banged up. The cameras were on, and you could tell they were afraid. I guess there was no backing out, but somebody else should have pulled the plug on that idea.

Even on a simple, easy run, when they finished, they weren't smiling. It was a really bad idea.

It's a good track.
              aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Comment

there's a track in germany in fact that is considered 'scarier' than the one in whistler. far more accidents on that track than the one in whistler.

Comment

Media is looking for headlines.

These athletes follow a circuit and some tracks are faster than others. Whistler is a santioned track and VANOC should not take any blame for its track. Check out the FIBT Federation website to learn more -> FIBT - International Home of Bobsleigh and Skeleton Sports

FTR: van Calker is new to the sport since 2001 and the Netherlands is not known as a powerhouse when it comes to bobsleigh. Me thinks van Calker is a bit of a scaredy cat, but moreso the media is looking for a story that doesn't exist.
                  Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far / shine on you crazy diamond

Comment

Another sensational media and C2E headline
                    Thanks for nothing
                    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

In Germany, they are calling it the "Death Track"
                      No, they're not.

One article in the country's trashiest rag (known for football previews, new car 'spy-shots', and half naked women) is not the barometer of German opinion or an indication of the prevailing attitude.

The games recieve prime-time coverage on two national networks, while the basic-cable sports network shows programming essentially around the clock.

Granted, it doesn't take much to get a sports-mad nation like Germany to take notice, but these Olympics have been an overwhelming success in terms of exposure and positive press for the city of Vancouver and the country of Canada as a whole.

Therefore, I can't begin to understand why there's been so much negative press from within Canada itself. The rest of the world (or at least those who participate in winter sports!) are in praise of us. Can't we just enjoy it and bask in the glory....at least this one time??

Comment

Meh, just last week Moahunter said about our athletes:

Canadians are mentally more fragile.
                        I wouldn't pay any mind.

Comment

^I was wrong, but I wasn't the only one, and am glad I was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                          X